what level to you usually listen at?

Fido

Okay, finally got around to it.  Using C weighting and with response set to Slow, my upper limit for volume is 90 dB.  

That’s pretty loud, and I don’t listen at that level for long.  65-75 dB is more typical.  

Very late at night/very early morning, l sometimes go as low as 55-60 dB.

This is with the SPL meter next to my head at my listening position, pointing straight up.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2022 at 2:37 PM, babadono said:

I guess I'll wait and see if that message comes up...I know I have used the SPL meter function of REW before but I don't recall if that message came up...Man I'm getting old...

Hey Eric …..  I found this also which confirms if you are using the UMIK-1 or UMIK-2 the sensitivity factor is in the calibration file of the UMIK units.

UMIK-PDF-3.pdf

Note: This is from the attached pdf:

B1F8E520-A97D-4B2E-BFC1-3480D890ED9D.thumb.jpeg.e5cde3099751f7b97f0575c8cf40e714.jpeg

Also confirmed UMIK SPL Calibrated in REW here…

B13C08B2-B4E2-44EE-9FE9-18A1D22895DE.thumb.jpeg.31587deda0623df1dcb6a40bbd53742c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A weighted, slow response in my study at the loudest volume I care to use, 96 dB peaks. Interesting spread of dynamic range:

"Tramsta Chunky" techno vid: 88-96 dB (8 db spread)

"Jupiter" on pipe organ, 80-96 dB (16 db spread)

"Kansas City Kitty" 1929 via YouTube: 86-90 dB (4 dB spread reflecting the equipment of the time and the desire for uniform volume level)

In my primary listening room (with the Klipsch equipment) I found that 102 dB average with 106 dB peaks is the outer limit.

I was usingg an app on my Ipad to measure volume but decided to buy an SPL meter on Amazon.My Ipad app was pretty far off and I now realize I listen to most music at closer to 70 DBs plus or minus 5-10 DBs

early morning/late night listening 60 DBs is perfection - dynamics superb 

Edited by Fido
  • Thanks 1

Revisiting since I answered this once before.

I've been listening for a couple of hours and

have the decimal meter out.

My system sounds OK at 50 to 55, I mean I

can get full range Dynamics. 

I really prefer 60 to 65, it is kinda low but

more to my taste but not too loud for the Wife Unit.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Been there before

Best solution was no Wife anymore

She's a very well-trained vocalist and does appreciate the sound quality we have in our house, I'll give her that.   And I'd love to turn it up until I couldn't hear the children any more (and probably could easily), the kids don't need tinnitus yet. 😉 

Maybe it's time to think about hooking up the Bassman 100 and PLUSH PA 100 as monoblocks...  8x 6L6 at 450v should get the party started...

4 minutes ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

PLUSH

Have not seen one since the1970s

What color sparkle is yours

most seem to have been Blue

but I have seen green and silver ones over the years

It was roller-skate red.  Was pretty chewed up when I got it, so we stripped it down, cut the cabinet angle to match the chassis, and wrapped it in black naugahyde vinyl. It was nice to be able to use the top row of controls after that, the puffy red sparkle was 'interfering'.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 6:43 PM, Fido said:

I was usingg an app on my Ipad to measure volume but decided to buy an SPL meter on Amazon.My Ipad app was pretty far off and I now realize I listen to most music at closer to 70 DBs plus or minus 5-10 DBs

early morning/late night listening 60 DBs is perfection - dynamics superb 

This makes a lot more sense, thanks for clarifying.

7 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Never saw one in red

as I recall they were made on Long Island

Word on the street is that Saul Marantz himself designed the transformers for Plush. Circuits are nearly straight knockoff of Fender 100w stuff.