Which Tube Amp for Forte IVs

Silverfoxvtx1800

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using a Decware SE84UFO2 for vinyl listening and a PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP integrated for streaming. The Decware is an incredible pairing with my Forte IVs. I didn't buy it new though. Got it on Facebook Marketplace for just under $2k. They can be found on the used market every so often. Decware has a classiffied section on their forum. Keep an eye out for one there. But be ready to pounce if you see one. The PL is very good as well. I have done some tube rolling with it though.

On 11/17/2022 at 9:05 PM, Silverfoxvtx1800 said:

I have a pair of Forte IVs…. which is the best tube amp choice? Big wait list for Decware, I would probably be dead before my turn. I have been using the Naim Uniti Atom from a different system I have, it’s a little bright. Looking to calm this bright speaker down a little… Thanks 

Save yourself the wait on Decware. I've had the Zen for several years before I sold it and note that Decware tries to follow the sound signature of the little Zen with all their amps. In other words, the Zen is the standard in their line while the others end up as push-pull to get the extra power but their goal is to sound as much like the Zen as possible. The Zen was a wonderful little amp but it's not balanced as well as this Elekit 300b. For tube sound, this is the best thing I've compared to date, at least for me.

http://glowinthedarkaudio.com/elekit-8600s.html

Even though I still use my ST35 with my Forte's, it just depends on the sound signature you want. I use the ST35 because it's slightly more mellow sounding but the the Elekit 300b is freaking amazing if you really enjoy that pretty, colored tube sound. I certainly have moments where I enjoy it.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 11:05 PM, Silverfoxvtx1800 said:

I have a pair of Forte IVs…. which is the best tube amp choice? Big wait list for Decware, I would probably be dead before my turn. I have been using the Naim Uniti Atom from a different system I have, it’s a little bright. Looking to calm this bright speaker down a little… Thanks 

I’ve used a Cary SLI-80 with every Klipsch speaker I’ve owned, Including Forte IVs. I think it sounds wonderful. I love tubes and like that I can swap between EL34s, 6550s and KT88s to change the voice. And since Klipsch has used the SLI-80 for shows & demos, what more could you want? They show up used for about $2000 +/-.

21 hours ago, Idontknow said:

Even though I still use my ST35 with my Forte's, it just depends on the sound signature you want. I use the ST35 because it's slightly more mellow sounding but the the Elekit 300b is freaking amazing if you really enjoy that pretty, colored tube sound. I certainly have moments where I enjoy it.

People ask me all the time what SET amps they should buy and I always push them towards the Elekit 300b amps. The circuit is very well designed and the performance and sound quality is far better than many 300b amps costing far more money.

Mosfet B+ ripple filter

DC filaments

Switchable feedback from -8db to no feedback.

I am very impressed with the Elekit 300b amp and that says a lot since I am extremely picky about designs.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Silverfoxvtx1800 said:

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet, my day consists of research and more research….So far contenders are Quicksilver, Aric audio which I sent a message to and no response, I might call for information on wait time…

I think until you hear an amp playing thru your Fortes IVs it will be hard to decide which you prefer long term. I liked my EVO400 with the EL34s but when I rolled in the KT150s it transformed the sounds much and I prefer the sound of the KT150s very much over the EL34s. Having a tube amp is fun!

On 12/4/2022 at 1:55 PM, Fido said:

I think until you hear an amp playing thru your Fortes IVs it will be hard to decide which you prefer long term. I liked my EVO400 with the EL34s but when I rolled in the KT150s it transformed the sounds much and I prefer the sound of the KT150s very much over the EL34s. Having a tube amp is fun!

Same with my Quicksilver Mid Monos. I've experimented with EL34s vs KT150s. The KT150s won.

I built an Elekit 300b kit for my Klipchorns and really like it. You can buy them assembled if you have more cash than time. I'm using the new Western Electric tubes. Plenty of power for the K-horns. I have a Vincent Pho 701 for phono preamp and the combination is good.

Edited by pnort
  • Like 2

On 12/4/2022 at 1:08 PM, Silverfoxvtx1800 said:

The Cary SLI-80 looks really good, going to dig into it …..putting the Elekit together might be above my pay grade…

If you want to try a single ended amp with no assembly required, the Willsenton R300 Tube Amplifier uses 300B tubes. It received a very good review from Steve Huff on his Heritage speakers. It runs about $1500 on Amazon with free shipping (a big deal). And if your don't like you send it back. That’s pretty much a win-win.

I'm using a 300b with about 8 watts.....    it sounds great,  it is in a smaller room and I don't play too loud.  Plenty of power in my situation 

Was using a pair of Quicksilver Mid Monos and they were great too.   Nothing like the WE 300bs though.