The Three Heritage - How do I update from MCU 4.020 to 4.023?

rlew

Backstory: I have had an original The Three (mk1) since launch.  Play-fi has always been buggy, and I seem to always need to reset it's wifi connection to be seen by the app.  At some point, I updated to MCU 4.020, possibly by USB, but I can't remember.  Recently, I've been constantly notified by the app that some update was available, but the update would always fail.  I can never seem to get the dial to light up the wifi indicator on the top of the unit, even when it's connected to wifi and I'm streaming over play-fi.  The BT light is lit, then, eventually, all the lights go out.  A few hours after I've finished playing, the wifi light will disconnect (turn off) from the back of the unit and I'd need to turn it off and on to get it reconnected.  

I found a good deal on a new The Three (mk1) and decided I could use another BT only speaker elsewhere in the house.  Out of the box, this newer version had MCU 4.023 and has been ROCK SOLID in staying connected to my wifi and always visible to the Klipsch stream app.  I can even dial all the way up to the wifi source from the top of the unit!  I moved the speakers around just to rule out wifi signal issues, but the older model still can't seem to keep connected.  The only thing I can think of is that there had been a factory firmware that fixed some bugs, but isn't available through the klipsch.com/firmware page.  The firmware available there is still 4.020.

Can anyone help me get the newest firmware downloaded so I can fix my original The Three mk1?

• 2 weeks later...

Were you able to find a solution for this? My The Three has similar issues to what you describe and is on MCU 4.020. I have 4 other Play-Fi devices, and The Three is the only one that consistently has issues adding it as a speaker to a stream. If there is a 4.023 update available, I'd like to try it.

Have you tried reaching out to Klipsch support?

I will mention that as far as I know, you aren't supposed to be able to manually select WiFi from the input knob - WiFi gets selected automatically when you stream to it from the app.

• 1 year later...

I just wanted to follow up to mention that the most recent Play-Fi software update in the app store 8.4 (Oct 2023, 8.4) has finally fixed the issue I was having with my The Three. Just to explain what was happening for me, if the speaker went unused for any short period of time, it would get into a state where it would show up as available in the Play-Fi app, but then if I actually tried to stream to it, the speaker would either reset or the speaker's network connection would reset, then after the reset (which would easily take a minute or more) it would appear again and work OK. All my other Play-Fi devices would work fine. When I reached out to Klipsch support their response wasn't helpful (their response referred to the newer The Threes which are not Play-Fi). I never found an MCU 4.023 update, mine is still on MCU 4.020.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2022 at 7:50 PM, rlew said:

Backstory: I have had an original The Three (mk1) since launch.  Play-fi has always been buggy, and I seem to always need to reset it's wifi connection to be seen by the app.  At some point, I updated to MCU 4.020, possibly by USB, but I can't remember.  Recently, I've been constantly notified by the app that some update was available, but the update would always fail.  I can never seem to get the dial to light up the wifi indicator on the top of the unit, even when it's connected to wifi and I'm streaming over play-fi.  The BT light is lit, then, eventually, all the lights go out.  A few hours after I've finished playing, the wifi light will disconnect (turn off) from the back of the unit and I'd need to turn it off and on to get it reconnected.  

I found a good deal on a new The Three (mk1) and decided I could use another BT only speaker elsewhere in the house.  Out of the box, this newer version had MCU 4.023 and has been ROCK SOLID in staying connected to my wifi and always visible to the Klipsch stream app.  I can even dial all the way up to the wifi source from the top of the unit!  I moved the speakers around just to rule out wifi signal issues, but the older model still can't seem to keep connected.  The only thing I can think of is that there had been a factory firmware that fixed some bugs, but isn't available through the klipsch.com/firmware page.  The firmware available there is still 4.020.

Can anyone help me get the newest firmware downloaded so I can fix my original The Three mk1?

Hi,

I am having connection issues with my The Three (mk1). Did you find out a way to upgrade your older one with MCU 4.023? This happens even with the latest Play-Fi app (8.4.0.8851).

Tried to contact Klipsch about this, but they say that there is no MCU version 4.020 available and you have made a mistake with the MCU version of your newer The Three.

I am in the process of purchasing subwoofer for my HT and soundbar for my TV room. This lack of support for The Three rules out Klipsch in that consideration. I like the sound and style of Klipsch speakers, but lack of support for older models is not ok in my book. Audio gear should not be part of the throw away culture (I am very much against this in every products).

They also said that because there is newer versions (MK 2), the older versions are not supported anymore. This is quite apparent based on the release dates of latest firmwares (circa 2017).

Any info is appreciated.

Best regards,

Harri

On 1/12/2024 at 3:31 AM, SirraH77 said:

I am having connection issues with my The Three (mk1). Did you find out a way to upgrade your older one with MCU 4.023? This happens even with the latest Play-Fi app (8.4.0.8851).

Tried to contact Klipsch about this, but they say that there is no MCU version 4.020 available and you have made a mistake with the MCU version of your newer The Three.

The latest Play-Fi app (new last week) is 8.5.[something] (CAP 8.5.0.045). That said, 8.4 resolved my connectivity issues, and I believe the release notes for 8.4 said they updated the network drivers.

What MCU version do you have? I believe the version downloadable from Klipsch is 4.020.

https://www.klipsch.com/firmware?product=38970&serial=

https://assets.klipsch.com/files/Klipsch-The-Three-v4.020.zip

On 1/16/2024 at 6:50 PM, CraigG said:

The latest Play-Fi app (new last week) is 8.5.[something] (CAP 8.5.0.045). That said, 8.4 resolved my connectivity issues, and I believe the release notes for 8.4 said they updated the network drivers.

What MCU version do you have? I believe the version downloadable from Klipsch is 4.020.

https://www.klipsch.com/firmware?product=38970&serial=

https://assets.klipsch.com/files/Klipsch-The-Three-v4.020.zip

Hi Craig,

Thank for the response!

My MCU is 4.020 and CAP 8.5.0.045.

I still have the connection problem. When trying to play music after its been idle for a while it seems to reset (disappears from Play-Fi app) and come back online after a minute or so. It also disconnects quite often. Annoying.

-Harri-