How many are using 5 or more identical speakers in your home theater?

wuzzzer

Kind of piggy backing off the thread I made about using an identical LCR, I’m curious how many on here have not only that but also matching surrounds, rear surrounds, etc.

I have 5 Heresys in my home theater.  Front mains are from 1982, center is from 1980 and surrounds are from 1985. My surrounds are technically “1.5” models but close enough for me.

It took me quite a while to put this setup together but I was patient and waited for the right deals to come along.  I just missed out on a pair of Heresy II for $200 locally a couple weeks ago that I would have used as overhead Atmos speakers.

The sound is amazing.  Movies and multi channel music is awesome.

I've done this for years (all identically drivered/crossovered Cornwalls). I took a 60's era Cornwall II and laid it on its side for the center channel then just set the flat screen on that (half inch memory foam sheet to cushion it), surrounded with 70's era Cornwall cabs on the other channels. Then I added two of the JBL 4638 low frequency reinforcement cabs as LFE to the system, and let me tell you nine 15" drivers can really pressurize a room, and rather effortlessly at that. A bunch of us on here bought those cabs from a JBL earthquake liquidation some 15ish years ago (they sold them for the tax and shipping - it was nutz) and they've been a match made in heaven. I've updated the system at points (new McIntosh core and other updates) but it's still the "All Cornwall Theater" that it has been for over 15 years and is "end game" sort of stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm onespeaker short...can I still chime in?

A little background: I have a temporary home theaters set-up jammed into a less than ideal space, as my regular one turned into a play area for my two daughters.  I know.... priorities right???

I have two RF-82 II's as my front with an RC-7 in the center.  For surrounds I an using four RF-62's.  I am actually using the RF-62's as surrounds only because there is no decent area to mount my RS-62 II's  It's less than ideal, but it's only temporary...I hope!

The sound is decent, but the RF-62's are way overkill.  All surround content can be handled by decent small surround speakers with at least a 5 1/4" driver handling the "low" end.  I never understood why people are using KLF 20's, Cornwalls, etc for surround duty.  I can see if you're trying to fill a 2000 sq.ft. home theater, but anything other than that it's a waste of speaker and space. (I think your 15" Cornwall woofer will feel neglected and lonely!!!)  I know people swear by having all of the same speakers, or at least the same tweeters and justify it by claiming that everything is timber matched. I have tried it both ways and my ears cannot tell a significant audible difference if I use all of the same for surround, or two and two for back and side surround.  I think this is personal preference as well, and maybe a little bit of the placebo effect going on.... if you think you have all matched speakers then you will think it sounds better.  Just like speaker cables.... If I spend money on these super expensive cables, I must hear a difference...right?

• Like 1

On 11/19/2022 at 9:11 PM, wuzzzer said:

Awesome!

So far I have it LCR setup with some rs3 surrounds. Later today I’ll get the other HII setup. Need to round up stands since I’m trying to keep the HIIs somewhat even in height. The center is causing the most trouble since it’s sitting on my turntable table. I may wind up taking the table away so I can push the center back. The space is really too small for 5.1, but it sounds great so far. 

CEDDBCFD-E151-4D1B-B43A-264D219DEE9A.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2022 at 9:21 AM, Iteachstem said:

I'm onespeaker short...can I still chime in?

A little background: I have a temporary home theaters set-up jammed into a less than ideal space, as my regular one turned into a play area for my two daughters.  I know.... priorities right???

I have two RF-82 II's as my front with an RC-7 in the center.  For surrounds I an using four RF-62's.  I am actually using the RF-62's as surrounds only because there is no decent area to mount my RS-62 II's  It's less than ideal, but it's only temporary...I hope!

The sound is decent, but the RF-62's are way overkill.  All surround content can be handled by decent small surround speakers with at least a 5 1/4" driver handling the "low" end.  I never understood why people are using KLF 20's, Cornwalls, etc for surround duty.  I can see if you're trying to fill a 2000 sq.ft. home theater, but anything other than that it's a waste of speaker and space. (I think your 15" Cornwall woofer will feel neglected and lonely!!!)  I know people swear by having all of the same speakers, or at least the same tweeters and justify it by claiming that everything is timber matched. I have tried it both ways and my ears cannot tell a significant audible difference if I use all of the same for surround, or two and two for back and side surround.  I think this is personal preference as well, and maybe a little bit of the placebo effect going on.... if you think you have all matched speakers then you will think it sounds better.  Just like speaker cables.... If I spend money on these super expensive cables, I must hear a difference...right?

I use Synergy F20's for surrounds and there is plenty of Low energy info

that a smaller speaker cannot deliver. I happen to like the full range of surrounds.