Jump to content

Questions - New to forum


NYKBOB
 Share

Recommended Posts

I am moving on from my Klipsch Corwalls which I bought new in the 80's. I have questions and need some help.
1) The speakers are in fine working order but as you can see from the image my cats have scratched up the material. The cabinet is good and the speakers are great. Should I replace the material before I try to sell, or is it better to leave as is?

2) How much are these worth? I see wild price variations on ebay. 

Thanks for any help. 

Klipsch-Cornwall.jpg

Klipsch-Cornwall-2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Someone who know what they are doing can get those looking like new, not too difficult, but time consuming to do it right.  Everything is there except for the grill cloth.  But they need to be completely taken apart, sanded and every surface refinished.  Plus new grills made.  This takes a while. 

 

Not worth your time unless you enjoy the process or want to try to make $5 and hour for your labor.  Sell them discounted (meaning not top dollar) and let someone else do the work. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bob crites for grill cloth

 

https://critesspeakers.com/prices-other_stuff.html

Klipsch Speaker Grille Fabric Heritage Black #7.  Shipping for 1 yard (36 X 72) is FREE by Priority Mail in the US. 

One Yard (36 X 72 inch) of Fabric:  $105.00

Black #17 Buy Now

Cane Buy Now

Two Yards (two 36 X72 inch pieces) $210.00 (Contact Me)

Fabric for a pair of Klipschorns

Two yards (single 36 x 144 inch piece) $190.00  (This price is larger per yard because of the extra labor involved in cutting the material this way. 

Black #17 Buy Now

Cane Buy Now

 

 

They are worth what someone is willing to buy... your cornwalls don't owe you a dime...since you bought them new... the market or the area in which you live in also determines the price... And your elbow grease is free...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've decided to clean them up as best I can, as well as replace the fabrics on the front. Then I will try to sell them. But I'm still not sure what they are worth once I'm done. They will not be perfect looking but they will look good for their age. There is not mold, cat spray, or odor. The images with reflections are because I wiped them down and the light from my sliding doors caused a reflection. I'll take better pictures when I'm done. 

Thanks, and I'd appreciate any additional advice or directions.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NYKBOB said:

I've decided to clean them up as best I can, as well as replace the fabrics on the front. Then I will try to sell them. But I'm still not sure what they are worth once I'm done. They will not be perfect looking but they will look good for their age. There is not mold, cat spray, or odor. The images with reflections are because I wiped them down and the light from my sliding doors caused a reflection. I'll take better pictures when I'm done. 

Thanks, and I'd appreciate any additional advice or directions.

 

Take them completely apart.  Lightly sand the wood with 220 grit.  Also sand the black areas.  Tape up the sides and spray the black (front and back).  Then maybe stain the speakers (I don't like oak).  Apply three coats of an oil based urethane, sanding with 600 in between coats and clean with a tack cloth.

 

Wire wheel and paint each screw in semi gloss black. 

 

You will also need to make new grills.  Might as well replace the capacitors too. 

 

Heck, might as well just keep them at this point.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/21/2022 at 9:46 PM, dirtmudd said:

Bob crites for grill cloth

 

https://critesspeakers.com/prices-other_stuff.html

Klipsch Speaker Grille Fabric Heritage Black #7.  Shipping for 1 yard (36 X 72) is FREE by Priority Mail in the US. 

One Yard (36 X 72 inch) of Fabric:  $105.00

Black #17 Buy Now

Cane Buy Now

Two Yards (two 36 X72 inch pieces) $210.00 (Contact Me)

Fabric for a pair of Klipschorns

Two yards (single 36 x 144 inch piece) $190.00  (This price is larger per yard because of the extra labor involved in cutting the material this way. 

Black #17 Buy Now

Cane Buy Now

 

 

They are worth what someone is willing to buy... your cornwalls don't owe you a dime...since you bought them new... the market or the area in which you live in also determines the price... And your elbow grease is free...

Oh man, I have a bunch of really nice grill cloth that is much less than that, like $60 a yard.  I need to post a pic. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, NYKBOB said:

I've decided to clean them up as best I can, as well as replace the fabrics on the front. Then I will try to sell them. But I'm still not sure what they are worth once I'm done. They will not be perfect looking but they will look good for their age. There is not mold, cat spray, or odor. The images with reflections are because I wiped them down and the light from my sliding doors caused a reflection. I'll take better pictures when I'm done. 

Thanks, and I'd appreciate any additional advice or directions.

 

6 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

 

Take them completely apart.  Lightly sand the wood with 220 grit.  Also sand the black areas.  Tape up the sides and spray the black (front and back).  Then maybe stain the speakers (I don't like oak).  Apply three coats of an oil based urethane, sanding with 600 in between coats and clean with a tack cloth.

 

Wire wheel and paint each screw in semi gloss black. 

 

You will also need to make new grills.  Might as well replace the capacitors too. 

 

Heck, might as well just keep them at this point.

 

 

Here you go a forum member willing to sell some grill cloth..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Oh man, I have a bunch of really nice grill cloth that is much less than that, like $60 a yard.  I need to post a pic. 

 

1 minute ago, dirtmudd said:

 

 

 

Here you go a forum member willing to sell some grill cloth..

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, newworld said:

But if I showed up to buy them and they were a crappy restoration I would still beat you down on price because now it would be triple the work to restore properly. We just did this to someone on a pair of chorus II. Reveneer job With big puddles of glue under the veneer and wanted top price. Spray can of black with dry spray lines. He would be better to leave them alone and start at 17-18. I would pay 12-15 for them if they were in my zip code. But if they were a half azzed restoration I would offer the same.

 

Do it right or don't do it at all.  I bought some beautiful Chorus IIs that were re-finished.  I replaced the stands and found that they did not finish the bottoms.  I put on three coats of urethane and the bottoms then looked better than the speaker, so I refinished the entire speakers.  I also did crossovers and made new grills, all on a set of 'restored' speakers. 

 

The big thing is the amount of time to do it correctly, it is a labor of love because you will have so many hours into this you can never try to make money doing this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2022 at 10:55 AM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

 

Take them completely apart.  Lightly sand the wood with 220 grit.  Also sand the black areas.  Tape up the sides and spray the black (front and back).  Then maybe stain the speakers (I don't like oak).  Apply three coats of an oil based urethane, sanding with 600 in between coats and clean with a tack cloth.

 

Wire wheel and paint each screw in semi gloss black. 

 

You will also need to make new grills.  Might as well replace the capacitors too. 

 

Heck, might as well just keep them at this point.

 

I respectfully disagree with this post. That's a lot of work and unnecessary just to get them on the market. Don't take them apart. The fronts and backs are fine.  Mask them off then scrub the cabinets with mineral spirits and 0000 steel wool and wipe them down.  If you've ever used Pledge or a similar furniture polish with silicones, scrub them and wipe them down again. This shouldn't take you more than an hour or two.  They appear to be in good shape, but your pics don't show much of the surfaces. Get yourself some Danish Oil.  I'd get one can of Natural and one can of Regular Walnut and mix them 3 to 1. Flood the surfaces keeping them uniformly wet for 30-45 minutes. If there are some rough areas you can lightly wet sand them at this time with some 300 grit.  Don't be too aggressive or you can burnish the surface- smooth is smooth, you aren't polishing the surface.  You can apply with a rag, steel wool, paper towels, foam pad- whatever- just be mindful of the applicators between coats or when discarding. Submerge them in a jar of finish between coats or water if you are done with them.  The curing process is exothermic.  Fires have happened.   Then wipe them down completely removing all the excess finish.  You will do this process probably 3 or 4 additional times (allowing to dry in between)- or until they stop absorbing the oil (you'll be able to tell). ALLOW THE FINISH TO DRY COMPLETELY BETWEEN EACH COAT <- read that again! The amount of time it takes to dry completely will vary widely based on the climate.  A warm, dry workshop- 24 hours or less. A cool dank garage- could be 3 days or longer.  You can put a heat light or heather on them to speed the process.  This may sound like a lot, but it's really easy even for a novice and does not require a clean shop.  Most of your time is spent waiting. Shouldn't take you more than half an hour of easy wiping to apply each coat. Materials should be less than $50.  Applying poly to any Heritage model lowers it's value imho.  These aren't dining room tables. They do not need to be entombed in resin for durability. Oil finish is beautiful, easy to apply and easy to maintain- just give them a wipe on/off every 5 years or so with the Danish Oil.

 

Then fix the grills. I'd find a cheaper alternative to the Crites OEM black cloth. I did a pair of oak Cornwalls in an off-white grill cloth and I think they looked better than factory.  They blended in the room much better. As always ymmv.   

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Godataloss said:

 

I respectfully disagree with this post. That's a lot of work and unnecessary just to get them on the market. Don't take them apart. The fronts and backs are fine.  Mask them off then scrub the cabinets with mineral spirits and 0000 steel wool and wipe them down.  If you've ever used Pledge or a similar furniture polish with silicones, scrub them and wipe them down again. This shouldn't take you more than an hour or two.  They appear to be in good shape, but your pics don't show much of the surfaces. Get yourself some Danish Oil.  I'd get one can of Natural and one can of Regular Walnut and mix them 3 to 1. Flood the surfaces keeping them uniformly wet for 30-45 minutes. If there are some rough areas you can lightly wet sand them at this time with some 300 grit.  Don't be too aggressive or you can burnish the surface- smooth is smooth, you aren't polishing the surface.  You can apply with a rag, steel wool, paper towels, foam pad- whatever- just be mindful of the applicators between coats or when discarding. Submerge them in a jar of finish between coats or water if you are done with them.  The curing process is exothermic.  Fires have happened.   Then wipe them down completely removing all the excess finish.  You will do this process probably 3 or 4 additional times (allowing to dry in between)- or until they stop absorbing the oil (you'll be able to tell). ALLOW THE FINISH TO DRY COMPLETELY BETWEEN EACH COAT <- read that again! The amount of time it takes to dry completely will vary widely based on the climate.  A warm, dry workshop- 24 hours or less. A cool dank garage- could be 3 days or longer.  You can put a heat light or heather on them to speed the process.  This may sound like a lot, but it's really easy even for a novice and does not require a clean shop.  Most of your time is spent waiting. Shouldn't take you more than half an hour of easy wiping to apply each coat. Materials should be less than $50.  Applying poly to any Heritage model lowers it's value imho.  These aren't dining room tables. They do not need to be entombed in resin for durability. Oil finish is beautiful, easy to apply and easy to maintain- just give them a wipe on/off every 5 years or so with the Danish Oil.

 

Then fix the grills. I'd find a cheaper alternative to the Crites OEM black cloth. I did a pair of oak Cornwalls in an off-white grill cloth and I think they looked better than factory.  They blended in the room much better. As always ymmv.   

My point was to either do them right or just sell as is to a person with the skills and desire to restore them.  It is not worth the effort to get a few hundred more dollars if you do them correctly. 

 

I'd either want a perfect speaker or pair that some one has not touched. 

 

Poly is a preference, but my Chorus IIs are as smooth as glass.  Much nicer than the original oiled finish and not they do not need maintenance. 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...