Help with some dry speakers

tigerwoodKhorns

I have a pair of JBL L250s and the wood is dry (live in the desert).  They might have never been oiled.  They are teak. 

I plan to refinish them with a polyurethane but in the meantime I am concerned that they are so dry.  Should I apply a coat of 50 / 50 BLO & mineral spirits or just go ahead and refinish them now with the poly finish.  I really do not want to do the poly finish just yet as I want to take my time and really restore these when I am ready (which will be a while from now) 

I think I need to put on a 50 / 50 BLO mix this weekend. 

The area below the grills is also darker than the rest of the speaker which is very common.  Will this come out with a light sanding?  I don't want to try to sand this out until I put a final finish on these. 

What I am trying to do it to add some moisture to the finish if needed.  The plan it to refinish these in an oil based urethane finish, but in the meantime, I am concerned about them getting too dry and possibly cracking. 

I think a coat of blo / mineral spirits for now and then when I am ready to refinish, I can disassemble the speakers and put on an oil based urethane.

Hate the smell of BLO in the house. 

On 11/23/2022 at 9:50 AM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

What I am trying to do it to add some moisture to the finish if needed.  The plan it to refinish these in an oil based urethane finish, but in the meantime, I am concerned about them getting too dry and possibly cracking. 

I think a coat of blo / mineral spirits for now and then when I am ready to refinish, I can disassemble the speakers and put on an oil based urethane.

Hate the smell of BLO in the house. 

Not a wood guy, but ......

Once you apply urethane, the party is over for doing anything else to the wood without stripping.

What's a party with out strippers....

My two cents.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bubo said:

Not a wood guy, but ......

Once you apply urethane, the party is over for doing anything else to the wood without stripping.

What's a party with out strippers....

My two cents.

Yes, exactly.  I want to make sure that the wood has a correct moisture and then put on a finish that will last ten years.  I just did three sets of speakers and love the finish.  I do not want to have to oil these every year.