[Denon AVR-960H] 7.2 Home Theater Klipsch speakers

AsteriaStardust

Hi all,

I have been using Onkyo R-N855 with Klipsch RP-150M for computer desk and now trying to setup a Home Theater system in my basement.

• Room is about 5 (w) x 8 (d) x 2.5 (h) meters.
  • Planning two step setup: a) Buy RP-8000F II and a center speaker first, then b) Buy Subwoofer(2), monitor and Dolby Atmos later.
  • Mainly listening to music (80%, vocal / instrumental, no rock) and movie (20%, NetFlix/Youtube).
  • Bought Denon AVR-960H thinking to buy Klipsch 625FA/620FB based system in the beginning. It has 90W per channel @8ohms, 7.2 capable.
  • Usually do not turn up the volume above 50%. Rarely around 70% max.

My questions are:

1. Is Denon AVR-960H underpowered to drive RP-8000F II (90W vs. 150W)? Would it downgrade the sound quality for this so I should consider RP-6000F II instead?
  2. Is RP-150M good to be used as rear / surround speakers with RP-8000F II? Or should I consider latest models e.g., RP-600M?
  3. For center speakers, RP-500C II good enough or would RP-504C II be the one matching RP-8000F II?
  4. For subwoofers, considering 2 of them in the long run, what's the difference between R-100SW and R-120SW other than power? If I buy two, will R-100SW work?

Thank you so much in advance and happy Thanksgiving!

Jason

• Like 1

Some notes here.  The AVR-960H is not 90W all channels driven.  I believe it's either 1 or 2 channels only.  Most AVR's will not deliver their WPC rating advertised, double check specs.  It is 90W x2, at 5 channels it is likely closer to 35-45, and at 7 it is probably closer to 20-30 (it has 500 W total power, which means it can not exceed 70WPC all channels driven, assuming it was doing nothing else but driving speakers - which is not the case).  Klipsch speakers do not need much power, but the cleanliness is the deciding issue.

Highly recommend an AVR-X series from Denon at minimum - especially for RP series.  They will still be under the maximum continuous output of the Klipsch, but you don't necessarily need to meet that figure anyway.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, The History Kid said:

Some notes here.  The AVR-960H is not 90W all channels driven.  I believe it's either 1 or 2 channels only.  Most AVR's will not deliver their WPC rating advertised, double check specs.  It is 90W x2, at 5 channels it is likely closer to 35-45, and at 7 it is probably closer to 20-30 (it has 500 W total power, which means it can not exceed 70WPC all channels driven, assuming it was doing nothing else but driving speakers - which is not the case).  Klipsch speakers do not need much power, but the cleanliness is the deciding issue.

Highly recommend an AVR-X series from Denon at minimum - especially for RP series.  They will still be under the maximum continuous output of the Klipsch, but you don't necessarily need to meet that figure anyway.  

Thanks. The spec shows the below. I think you are right ... I will pay attention to this. Unfortunately, even AVR-X2700H (95W) or X3700H (105W) has the same / similar power with 2 channel driven. Unless I go up to AVR-X6700H (140W) or higher, it will be hard to match then. 

Number of Power Amps: 7
90 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, THD: 0.08%, 2 ch. driven)

11 hours ago, AsteriaStardust said:

Unfortunately, even AVR-X2700H (95W) or X3700H (105W) has the same / similar power with 2 channel driven. Unless I go up to AVR-X6700H (140W) or higher, it will be hard to match then. 

You are only partially correct here.  What is correct is that it will be difficult for you to find an AVR that will supply a full 100W to all channels driven.  What isn't correct is that just because the power rating is the same doesn't mean it's the same kind of power.

The X series AVR's use a totally different power transformer, and the amplification section is also considerably different.  You don't need to pay as much attention to power ratings as most people would lead you to believe.  What you really need to pay attention to is how much these one-to-two channel driven ratings are for short periods of time (it's rare all channels will be driven to their hardest at the same time), while also feeding your speakers clean power.

The X series can do this efficiently and effectively.  The S series would struggle with this.

Unless you go to a pre/pro with an outboard amp, you will not achieve more than 100WPC with all your channels unless you really break the bank, and there are only a handful of receivers out there that would do this (8500 from Denon, 8015 from Marantz, Anthem's upper two tiers, etc).