Suitable substitute for K-33 in LaScala?

Ray_pierrewit

I picked up a real beater pair of LaScalas cheap, the cabinets are in good shape, but the woofers, horns and crossover were all changed to various unknown garbage. I plan on refurbishing them in the near future and am slowly picking up the required pieces.

Found someone local selling these for a great price: 15" Eminence HiFi Woofer #15797. Any chance this particular woofer could be a suitable substitute to the k-33? See the screen capture for details. I know it's a little thin on parameters, so I haven't got much hope. Scouring the web unfortunately did not help.

Many thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-11-23 at 12.42.38 PM.png

• Like 1

I get a lot of these type questions now and have to dig into the archives because I'm real weak on the drivers. If I had all of curves for all of these different drivers in different enclosures, I could make somewhat educated guesses.  Anyway, opinions are all over the map on this one. I mean, yes, you can use a K-33 in it's place, but there will obviously be differences. If it's on the Speaker Exchange page, I'm going to guess Klipsch is approving this substitution. 

Same situation with the Heresy. The K-28 question comes up a lot. 

@Chief bonehead

@Trey Cannon

@Marvel

@mark1101

I get a lot of these type questions now and have to dig into the archives because I'm real weak on the drivers. If I had all of curves for all of these different drivers in different enclosures, I could make somewhat educated guesses.  Anyway, opinions are all over the map on this one. I mean, yes, you can use a K-33 in it's place, but there will obviously be differences. If it's on the Speaker Exchange page, I'm going to guess Klipsch is approving this substitution. 

[mention=58629]Chief bonehead[/mention]
[mention=2154]Trey Cannon[/mention]
[mention=5045]Marvel[/mention]
[mention=10431]mark1101[/mention]
Ok. Thanks. Just didn't know if you knew. Also thanks for the tags.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Thinking 43 was in the LaScala 
Pro version [mention=71707]Tom Bird[/mention]Bird...
Doing a search of the archives likely will have a trove of information. Thanks!

Yes I have the industrial LaScala with the k43 E but it was mentioned in this thread that the newer K33 E has a higher power handling capability. When I looked at Deans link to speaker exchange it says it can replace the k43 E. I was just wondering how close it would be to the k43 E.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tom Bird said:

Yes I have the industrial LaScala with the k43 E but it was mentioned in this thread that the newer K33 E has a higher power handling capability. When I looked at Deans link to speaker exchange it says it can replace the k43 E. I was just wondering how close it would be to the k43 E.

Well, if the newer 33 version is more power handling to the older 33, my question would be, is the newer version more powerful than the 43e.

Depending of course at what characteristics you are after.

Would be neat to see the difference the old 33 and the new one via, a spec sheet for each. Would maybe search for such, if anecdotal is all you have now.

Well, if the newer 33 version is more power handling to the older 33, my question would be, is the newer version more powerful than the 43e.
Would be neat to see the difference the old 33 and the new one via, a spec sheet for each. Would maybe search for such, if anecdotal is all you have now.
I have searched for some of rhis info and not found what I was looking for in specs but I'm not great at these searches and don't know all the proper places to look. I will do more when I get back from vacation.

Just now, Tom Bird said:

I have searched for some of rhis info and not found what I was looking for in specs but I'm not great at these searches and don't know all the proper places to look. I will do more when I get back from vacation.

Oh... enjoy!

• Like 1

Also wasnt looking for something more powerfully just wondering how close in specs.

• Like 1

The K-43 was in the pro LS and in the MWM cabinets. The upper bass is cleaner than the K-33.

K-33 has been rated for 150watts for a long time. I don't know what the K-43 is rated at. Either way, a 25 wpc amp would drive you out of the house.

• Like 1

The K-43 was in the pro LS and in the MWM cabinets. The upper bass is cleaner than the K-33.

K-33 has been rated for 150watts for a long time. I don't know what the K-43 is rated at. Either way, a 25 wpc amp would drive you out of the house.
That's how I roll. "Out of the house" lol of course with some jazz like stuff as well.

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
2 hours ago, Deang said:

@Chief bonehead

@Trey Cannon

@Marvel

@mark1101

If these original Klipsch, then just get the k33 from Klipsch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom Bird said:

klipsch used to have 2 woofers , k-33-E 100wpc , K-43 E  150 wpc-  The K-33-E had more bass at low volumes  than a k-43-E   -

the new K-33-E   can also handle more power  150 wpc  , so it replaces the K-43-E and the older K-33-E 

klipsch used to have 2 woofers , k-33-E 100wpc , K-43 E  150 wpc-  The K-33-E had more bass at low volumes  than a k-43-E   -
the new K-33-E   can also handle more power  150 wpc  , so it replaces the K-43-E and the older K-33-E 
Thank you for that info. That's what I was wondering RE: the k43 E. Since their is no "klipsch OEM" replacement for it.