Suitable substitute for K-33 in LaScala?

Ray_pierrewit

If your LS Pro have the k-43 w/cast frames, they should look likes these that I had in my MWM cabinets (note that these are the same part number listed at The Speaker Exchange, and not an after market knock off):

1853798825_20200914_2138142.thumb.jpg.6de8d195915db408af1be53a06203d8e.jpg

20200914_213917~2.jpg

• Like 1

If your LS Pro have the k-43 w/cast frames, they should look likes these that I had in my MWM cabinets (note that these are the same part number listed at The Speaker Exchange, and not an after market knock off):

1853798825_20200914_2138142.thumb.jpg.6de8d195915db408af1be53a06203d8e.jpg

846978791_20200914_2139172.thumb.jpg.bce560dcdaf0176844407a5be775c687.jpg
I can't find my pics of my woofers. I will verify when I get home from vacation.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

[mention=71707]Tom Bird[/mention], some vendor on eBay just listed a half dozen K-43s if you are in the market…

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like they are being auctioned. I'm still debating the new K33 E or the new K43 E. I might place a bid later but most likely will come close to the new product price. I would rather to just buy new so they all match and I know they are perfect sonically. I have gotten some good info in this thread and just want to make the right decision.

• Like 1

I’m running the stock K-43s in my La Scala Industrials, that’s how LSIs are accoutred from the factory.

When I first got them I thought they sounded anemic in the bass department so I immediately set out to swap in a pair of K-33s I had on the shelf. I had a “regular” pair of La Scalas in the livingroom to compare them to.

While I was in the doghouse I noticed, for all intents and purposes, the woofers were hanging on by a thread. All four bolts were literally loosened off up to a 1/4 inch and bent from the strain of gigging. The woofers were NOT airtight in the doghouse.

Instead of tightening them at the time I proceeded with my first thought and swapped in the K-33s. Ran them like that for a week and then reinstalled the K-43s and actually tightened them properly.

I instantly preferred the presentation the K-43s bring.

I do not think there is any less discernible bass with K-43s in this application, I think there is more upper bass with the K-43 and that makes the K-33 sound fuller down low at the expense of articulation where it hands off to the squawker.

The LSIs I have came with the stamped steel baskets, but I have seen cast, and vented cast frame (with 5-way binding posts!) versions. As was mentioned, the stamped steel basket version will not require any sawdust to fit it into the doghouse. 

15 hours ago, Tom Bird said:

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like they are being auctioned. I'm still debating the new K33 E or the new K43 E.

you cant fit , cast frame K-43's in a Lascala unless you grind  off at  a straight  angle   the  k-43 rounded basket , the k-43 cast frame is wider than the walls of the LS  dog house  .

you cant fit , cast frame K-43's in a Lascala unless you grind  off at  a straight  angle   the  k-43 rounded basket , the k-43 cast frame is wider than the walls of the LS  dog house  .

BTW  the   woofers on Ebay   belonged  to  [mention=28400]twistedcrankcammer[/mention]    so it's in great shape , the last 2 woofers  are K-33  
I will go with K43 E in my industrials. My 1977 were used in 1 home before I got them and are in great shape so will probably leave the. K33 E square mag. Do you know if those would be the 100 RMS or the newer 150 RMS.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OO1 said:

you cant fit , cast frame K-43's in a Lascala unless you grind  off at  a straight  angle   the  k-43 rounded basket , the k-43 cast frame is wider than the walls of the LS  dog house.

You can put the whip down... the horse is dead. I think we're all clear on the size of the cast frame K43E.

• Haha 1