Crossover HELP Needed!!

Matthew Scott

Hello everyone. I am brand new to the forum and I need some guidance.

I have a pair of KLF-20s that I have owned for about 21 years now. I was recently researching what I could do to keep the speakers in good shape and possibly improve the sound and I ran across several articles that recommended updating them with new crossovers. So, I purchased a new set of crossovers made specifically for KLF-20s from Crites Speakers along with new tweeter diaphragms, which is evidently required for the new crossovers. To install the crossovers I called a local speaker shop that is supposed to be the best in the city and the owner told me in no uncertain words that this is a terrible idea and that I would ruin the sound of the speakers.

Is this person correct? Did I waste my money? I would love to get some opinions from other Klipsch owners. Thank you in advance for your help!!

• Moderators

Yes, the shop owner is correct. You will have changed the sound from that intended by the designer (which in this case was @Chief bonehead I think?).

As to whether you prefer one or the other, that’s a whole different story and is wholly subjective.

You should talk with @Deang about what it would cost to update the crossovers using Klipsch approved parts. He could also probably explain whether the diaphragms are necessary or not.

• Like 1

Thank you Travis. Very helpful information.

There is a relationship going back for quite some time between Klipsch and Bob Crites. Not exactly sure of the nature of the relationship but his son, Michael, has now taken control of the company since Bob's death. I'm pretty sure Crites uses B&K parts, as Klipsch does or did in the past. I'm definitely going to take your advice though and ask @Deang. Thank you again.

9 hours ago, Peter P. said:

Don't believe everything your read on the internet, including this forum!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I think it’s okay to perform preventative maintenance on things or replacing them when nearing end-of-life. Never quite understood the idea of waiting for something to fail if you know it probably needs attention.

• Like 2

I am of the opinion that the titanium tweeter diaphragms are not optional.

They have been an upgrade in every speaker I put them in, Chorus, Cornwall, Forte, Heresy, Tangent, in short, everything they fit in.

My only regret is only buying THREE pairs last time I ordered anything.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, geoff. said:

I am of the opinion that the titanium tweeter diaphragms are not optional.

They have been an upgrade in every speaker I put them in, Chorus, Cornwall, Forte, Heresy, Tangent, in short, everything they fit in.

Some people like them and some people don't. The people that don't generally keep quiet about it because they don't want to get beat up about it. Some like them at first and then a week later notice that they are hearing "too much tweeter". I do like that they are not insanely expensive and that mod can easily be reversed.

• 4 weeks later...

At 21 years old, you probably do not need new/refurbished crossovers (maybe not even at 41 years, in my experience).  The sketchiest part is the replacement diaphragm and the skill needed to swap it out.  I've got a squawker that had an open voice coil and I paid a well regarded shop in Nashville (they had some of Charlie Daniels' amps in for repairs) to replace the diaphragm and it buzzes on piano after.  It was bought for backup, so I haven't tried to fix it again.  The work looks deceptively easy. 

Your speakers only need regular use. 

On 11/23/2022 at 5:59 PM, Matthew Scott said:

There is a relationship going back for quite some time between Klipsch and Bob Crites. Not exactly sure of the nature of the relationship but his son, Michael, has now taken control of the company since Bob's death. I'm pretty sure Crites uses B&K parts, as Klipsch does or did in the past. I'm definitely going to take your advice though and ask @Deang. Thank you again.

One doozy of a post there, lol. 

KLF-20 is a great speaker.  Could use some crossover work to clean it up or if changing to a Ti diaphragm, require fixing the crossover between the tweeter and midrange since Klipsch designed the KLFs to take into account the natural roll off of the mids.  You do want to know what you are doing when replacing anything.

Different may be better or worse.  Depends on your room, equipment, and EARS.  @Deangwill take care of you if you've discussed the changes with him.

• Like 2

• Moderators
13 hours ago, pzannucci said:

KLF-20 is a great speaker.  Could use some crossover work to clean it up or if changing to a Ti diaphragm, require fixing the crossover between the tweeter and midrange since Klipsch designed the KLFs to take into account the natural roll off of the mids.  You do want to know what you are doing when replacing anything.

Different may be better or worse.  Depends on your room, equipment, and EARS.  @Deangwill take care of you if you've discussed the changes with him.

Nice to see ya. Merry Christmas