Dual Source (amps) selector to my new Belles..

dkpack99

I’m sure someone out here has solved this.. I’m wondering what people use when they want a high quality stereo experience (I’m thinking something vintage and maybe tubes) in addition to their basic HT AVR.

is there a HIGH QUALITY switch or something that some use? Something that won’t degrade the sounds.. Anything other than swapping out cables all the time?

Thanks in advance & happy holidays,

Dave P. 

PS - Anyone have actual experience with this one? 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0796KGVXT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ADXERLXGK7AZN&psc=1

Edited by dkpack99

1 hour ago, dkpack99 said:

I’m sure someone out here has solved this.. I’m wondering what people use when they want a high quality stereo experience (I’m thinking something vintage and maybe tubes) in addition to their basic HT AVR.

is there a HIGH QUALITY switch or something that some use? Something that won’t degrade the sounds.. Anything other than swapping out cables all the time?

Thanks in advance & happy holidays,

Dave P. 

PS - Anyone have actual experience with this one? 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0796KGVXT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ADXERLXGK7AZN&psc=1

Why don't you give it a try en then let us know? Seems pretty robust. 

You could wait until Macintosh puts their label on it and asks $1,640 for it... 

• Haha 2

Would a 2 channel tube amp change the game in the equation with a switch system — like the speaker selector switch? I had read that it does, in that not having a load on a tube amp is a big no-no. Maybe the switches mentioned take that into account. Personally, I have an AVR and tube amp, but switch the cables back and forth (banana plugs and to me no big deal), but in some circumstances it may be difficult to get to the backs of the speakers. Another option would be an amp with a home theater bypass.

10 hours ago, Sam S. said:

Would a 2 channel tube amp change the game in the equation with a switch system — like the speaker selector switch? I had read that it does, in that not having a load on a tube amp is a big no-no. Maybe the switches mentioned take that into account. Personally, I have an AVR and tube amp, but switch the cables back and forth (banana plugs and to me no big deal), but in some circumstances it may be difficult to get to the backs of the speakers. Another option would be an amp with a home theater bypass.

The device linked does NOT take into account that you will have no load on a tube type amp when the other amp is switched into the speaker. If that is what are switching. you must turn off the tube amp when listening to the other connected SS amp or AVR.

Thanks everyone! If I get a tube amp (hopefully) it will be my first. I didn’t know about turning on without speakers connected, so that alone helps immensely! I’m not handy enough to try to make one myself (thanks badbandito), I’ll likely try one of the more affordable models. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Dave

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2022 at 12:17 PM, dkpack99 said:

Thanks everyone! If I get a tube amp (hopefully) it will be my first. I didn’t know about turning on without speakers connected, so that alone helps immensely! I’m not handy enough to try to make one myself (thanks badbandito), I’ll likely try one of the more affordable models. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Dave

Any progress Dave?

2 hours ago, hanksjim1 said:

I have read that most tube amps are OK with no load, as long as the gain is not turned up?  True?

My understanding as well but why take a chance. Probably best not to have a signal though if turned on without load. 

Tubes still rule when it comes to sound. At least in my world. 

• Like 2