Legend Towers Not Shielded - What Gives?

forresthump

i keep seeing these problems with klipsch speakers & video distortion on this BB.

i tried the legend towers a while back & when they messed with my TV I took them back.

This is another example of Klipsch trying to be all things to all people with an apparent breakdown between production and marketing.

iow, promote legends as home theater speakers

but don't shield them. production/service solution: fix em yourself.

marketing should either make it clear these speakers can be defective for home theater use or reimburse dealers for the costs to shield them for those customers having problems.

i mean come on. maybe for older speakers let the buyer beware. but the legends just came out in the last few years & have been touted for HT use. the c-7 is shielded but the towers are not. what is wrong with this picture?

forresthump....I have the the Klipsch Legend Series literature in front of me right now, and I don't see it written anywhere that the KLF 10's,20's, or 30's are shielded. Should they be? Probably, but that's not the point. The point is people bought them, took them home, placed them next to there television and then bitched about interference and such when it's there fault for not researching what the features of the product are. The KLF-C7 being shielded is obvious being that in almost all applications the speaker will be in close proximity to the television.

Trying to put something as large as a KLF-30 right to each side of a 35" television sounds insane in the first place. Get little speakers that need close proximity placement to have good H/T. Let the big ones spread their wings and give you the depth and breadth that they were made for in the first place. The KLFs are not made for little confined areas.

Peter Z.

BB=Bulletin Board.

the thing is you don't get the informational lit rowoo speaks of until after you buy the speakers. my klf were 5 feet away from the tube, i.e., in many cases, you don't know they're going to mess with your tv until after the fact. it's a dead horse anyway for klipsch as the legends are being discontinued

& they seem to have wised up (or placed customer service above production cost savings) w/ the reference line.

line.

------------------

go forth & hump the world

Klipsch will be glad to send you all the literature you want or many of your local stores should have some literature to hand out without any purchase, or you could just ask the salesperson. Half of them probably wouldn't know off hand but they should be able to find out. Getting literature on your speakers after you purchased them kind of defeats the purpose anyway. By the way I have my Epic's about 8 inches from my television with no problem.

yes as I was saying there are so many variables with the dif tvs & speakers & all, the lit becomes moot. in many cases like mine

for instance, you don't find out until after you buy the speakers or tv. to expect the customer to do their own mods can alienate a certain group of consumers, hence the problem.

maybe some dealers would do the shielding work for you. for a cost of course. but mine didn't want to do it at all.

just the fact that they're tower speakers implies space saving & the possibility that they might be placed closer to a tv.

to place all the blame on the customer is lousy business sense. "customer is right" is not at all a bad policy.

the klf are great sounding speakers as are most klipsch speakers. many on this bb are quick to attack anyone who has any critisism of klipsch. but any well-run company doesn't want to hear only how great they are. in fact, some of the best marketing info from this BB for klipsch probably comes from some constructive critisism. don't get your heads

so far up there that you deny klipsch that opportunity. biggrin.gif

------------------

rowo, ridiculous to you maybe, but maybe not to someone who gets the big picture or has some business sense. my main point was not just that the speakers are not shielded. there you agreed they probably should be. wonder why?

possibly because they're promoted & used in many cases for home theater? & then the klipsch policy of fix 'em yourself. that's the main point of my initial post - it's not good from an overall business sense- i.e, turning out a good product is just part of the equation.

you need to just stick with the product aspect & try to make yourself feel better/smarter by belittling others' opinions/advice in that area.

keith lol. actually took em back so you'll have to talk w/ the dealer in anchorage & probably pay full msrp. traded them in for

glow worm 2000s. instead of magnets they use tiny nuclear reactors. actually improved the tv's picture.

------------------

yea i checked. they sucked w/ my tv & so i took em back & got another brand. "mine don't do it, i'm so superior". buncha numb nuts! look at all the other problems all the other stupid folk are having. that is once you pull your heads outta klipsch's arss, maybe you can see tongue.gif

------------------

Woah, that last post was a bit over the top, don't you think Forrest? Numbnuts? Sheesh.

But, I do agree with your criticism. I consider myself lucky, frankly, in that for some reason my KLF20s do not interfere at all with my 32" Sony Wega. And they ain't too far away from the edges. But still, I freaked a bit when I realized they weren't shielded and waited to see if there would be a problem with the new T.V. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that a speaker that is marketed for HT as well as music is going to be shielded. Just because the marketing material doesn't say they are not, does not make it an unreasonable assumption.

The KLF20s and 30s are perhaps the best HT speaker for any price. I truly believe they kick the sh*t out of my friends' Thiels and Aerial Accoustics speakers, which were much more $$$ (like four and eight times as much, respectively, I think).

I've never really bought the cost-saving argument in this particular case. It's like Rolex making a diving watch that isn't water proof.

I see Klipsch speakers as sort of the 1960s muscle car of high end gear. They are really quite amazing, especially for the price. They can really trounce the competition, and in surprising ways. But they can also be a bit crude and tough to live with. And, no offense to the Heritage fans, but I think that has been the case since Klipsch has been around.

I love my Legends, but I see why others hesitate to share the enthusiasm.

yea i may be one of those "stupid folk" forrest refers to - i read the online specs again after I ordered the speakers &, having previously purchased the rf-3, was suprised to see that the legend towers were indeed not shielded. makes no sense except I imagine on a cost basis. let the buyer beware is right.

josh, glad to see that on your wega as i was looking at the 27" top o'line wega. didn't have any problems w/ the current sony trinitron until i put the klf up on spikes thereby raising the towers by 1". bucking magnets on the way & I got the glue yest. biggrin.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF-30 (front), KLF-C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster S-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

2nd room:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage '75)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd player

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!