Legend Towers Not Shielded - What Gives?

forresthump

That's a good point, actually. The Legends have been around for quite some time. And the salesman at Tweeter did volunteer that they were not magnetically shielded now that I think of it.

I wonder if B&W CDM1 or Nautilus series speakers are magnetically shielded. Not that they come close to the Legends for home theater, but they certainly are marketed for it.

guess if klipsch would have started shielding

the klf towers after they turned out a c-7, then they would need a whole new model, like the KLF-30 MII. probably too much trouble.

been glueing on the buckin magnets today - ain't as easy as they say for the woodshop flunkouts like me. loved electronics - hated

shop. & keep thinkin this glue could be Mr. Ed or Secretariot.

the buck magnets: tweet around 3" total diam w/ 1" hole & about 1/4" thick.

mid is about 4" total w/ no hole & about 1/2"

thick. believe both slope down slightly to outer edge.

didn't get the woofs (yet). they'd run $20X4. wonder if u could put them on just 1 of the 2 woofs in each speaker(?) don't think i'd be comfortable w/ that though.

definitely use the 90 sec. instant epoxy by super glue got from home depot. that metal epoxy takes a day to dry & it really smells.

There are some of us that don't subscribe to the thought of shielded loudspeakers. Tests have been run and the results are disturbing. Shielded loudspeakers are great for Home Theatre. They are not for pure two channel audio.

Give me a pair of non shielded Klipsch Loudspeakers anyday. If you are into audiophile music you can hear the difference!

In one of my listening rooms is a fine pair of Heresy II's and in the main studio is a pair of K Horns. In my tv room is a pair of RF-3's. Just ask any true audiophile and he or she will agree with the above. If not, email me.

------------------

so now bucking magnets degrade the sound qualities of a loudspeaker, after being told continuously by other audio experts that they do not effect (except for maybe adding db).

what now, the reverse magnetism of the buck takes away the push-pull ability of the primary magnet? ;D

i don't hear any dif at all after putting buck magnets on the tweet & mid horns. again that's just me though.

------------------

Klipsch KLF-30 (front), KLF-C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster S-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

2nd room:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage '75)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd player

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Boa12, I have Klipsch Rebel satellite surrounds (not shielded, 93db sensitivity). The surrounds are physically identical to the center (video shielded, 91db sensitivity). Looks like shielding makes a slight difference in sensitivity.

Joe T

thanks joe. thought i read that the bucking mags add about 1 db sensitivity but the cups taketh away by same for pretty much a wash.

so putting on only the bucking mags would add to their loudness i figured. confused.gif

guess i can test further when the woofer magnets arrive.