Klipsch CDT-3650-C II in-ceiling speakers for a stereo console

seby19

I have gutted and am rebuilding the inside of a 1971 Sylvania stereo console.  I want to use the Klipsch 3650 in ceiling speakers to replace the original speakers in the cabinet.  The original speakers were in an enclosure (similar to a box but more formed) with insulation inside.  My question is should I mount the Klipsch speakers in the enclosure with the insulation or mount them in the enclosure without the insulation or should I not put them in an enclosure?

Edited by seby19

• Moderators

Welcome to the Forum!

I believe @seti might have some experience with console restoration and might be able to help (along with some others here). Klipsch made a console, the Historian was the project manager on that and only about 10 were ever made. I'm not sure what speakers went into that, but he might have some ideas/suggestions @JRH.

Travis

38 minutes ago, seby19 said:

Will the insulation make the speaker too hot?  

no , it's  simply not needed as long as the seams of the console  are   glued ,and the rear of the console is sealed with a wood panel   , versus the old  masonite board   , adding insulation can reduce the overall size of the enclosure 

3 minutes ago, OO1 said:

no , it's  simply not neededas long as the seams of the console  are   glued ,and the rear of the console is sealed with a wood panel   , versus the old  masonite board   , adding insulation can reduce the overall size of the enclosure 

The seams are glued.  The back is a thin board with quite a few vent holes in it.

2 minutes ago, seby19 said:

Forgive my ignorance but is that the sound I should be looking for?

by re-using the open back panel with ventilation holes , the  2 Klipsch 3650 in ceiling speakers  at both ends of the console cannot  produce sound  in a sealed chamber     , but more so , the way the console was originally intended to sound   which is a more open sound 

• seby19 changed the title to Klipsch CDT-3650-C II in-ceiling speakers for a stereo console
3 minutes ago, OO1 said:

by re-using the open back panel with ventilation holes , the  2 Klipsch 3650 in ceiling speakers  at both ends of the console cannot  produce sound  in a sealed chamber     , but more so , the way the console was originally intended to sound   which is a more open sound 

So are you saying that keeping them open and without the enclosure is the way to go then or are you saying to put them in the original enclosures and leave the insulation out?

Just now, OO1 said:

yes 

Ok.  Thank you for the advice (and the patience!). I blew out a couple of speakers trying to make this work.  I just want to make sure that what I have set up will work well and sound good.  I am running the speakers through a Fosi Audio DA2120C 240W Bluetooth amp that I am going to mount up top with a Fluance RT83 turntable that I am also building in.

10 minutes ago, Travis In Austin said:

Discussion about how to do one from scratch:

That’s pretty cool.  I will post pictures of mine if I have a chance tomorrow.  It was my uncles and many of my earliest memories I have of him that console was there.  I want to keep the exterior look the same but have all new electronics and interior.

• Like 1