Amazing Seasonal Gifts for The Music Buff

thebes

Oh boy Thebes, gizmos and gadgets, speakers and wires and cables and amps an such! Tubes and DACs and TT’s and Pre’s, ah hah! Tell us more Thebes we can’t wait to dance around the Christmas Tree, twisting away to mounds and mounds of stereo wire.

Now, now children, enough of those toys for boys, time for some grownup stuff. I’m talking books.

Books, you grunt, a slowly forming frown spreading across your cro magnom forehead.

Yes books I say. Special books.  Two to be exact.

First up, the man I’ve newly christened “The Guitar Sage”, the master wordsmith Bob Dylan himself.

He’s just put out an eclectic and charming tome titled, “The Philosophy of Modern Song”.

I’m about half-way through it and it’s quirky and complex, simple but sophisticated, in other words, it’s almost a typical Bob Dylan tune, written large. Almost all the songs he visits and comments on are from the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s, but that’s hardly a surprise, and some are so obscure one might wonder if they are a window into his own song-writing soul.

Already some controversy surrounds it. It appears that he used an auto pen to sign several hundred special order big money copies of the book.  According to himself, he was suffering from vertigo when it came time to sign the books so he used the auto pen. Full refunds for those copies are being offered by Simon and Schuster, but I bet some folks hold onto theirs because now those copies will be even scarcer and probably worth more.

Too cerebral for you, you grunt. Well than get down on your haunches, dangle those overlong arms and prepare to beat your chest because good ole Thebes if offering you a book completely filled with pictures!  But not just any pictures.  750 Rock album covers! 

Simply titled “Rock Covers” by Taschen books, it takes the covers alphabetically and has the ones you’d expect and some I’m sure you’ve never seen.  Most have some commentary associated with them.  I’m up to the D’s and am enjoying it thoroughly.

Oh, and if you have an Ollie’s near you, you can grab it for 8 bucks, not the $50 it originally sold for!

Well, what are you sitting there for?  I don’t hear any car doors slamming, rubber burning on the way to your local bookstore so get going!

• Like 3

"Just choose what you want to send me Thebes.  I trust your taste in gifts"

I don't know, you are a hard one to shop for. How about cash instead. Say six figures or would seven be better?

Travis, this means you wont be getting the Dylan book.  One of the songs he analyzes is The Eagles classic, "Witchy Woman".

• Moderators
On 12/1/2022 at 7:44 AM, thebes said:

"Just choose what you want to send me Thebes.  I trust your taste in gifts"

I don't know, you are a hard one to shop for. How about cash instead. Say six figures or would seven be better?

Travis, this means you wont be getting the Dylan book.  One of the songs he analyzes is The Eagles classic, "Witchy Woman".

As long as it doesn’t play the song with you turn the page it’s cool.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another one by Taschen, Capitol Records, saw it at Costco, can't remember the price. 

Also the Dylan book is now out as an audio book featuring ten artists (Jeff Bridges, Sissy Spacek, Rita Moreno and others) as well as Bob's melodious voice.

image.thumb.jpeg.4306549ba6ebff52dea42950a11c1764.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, FinnCorlein said:

Hey, just wanted to share some thoughts. First, tickets to see their favorite artist or band live. There's nothing quite like the thrill of experiencing live music, and it would create memories they'll cherish forever.

Live music with no compression? Oh my.

JJK

Well, then you should probably rush out and get this book published in late 2022 that claims to turn your two speaker system into a magical 3d sound experience. Oh yeah,  there's also a SACD you have to buy with it to create the miracle. 

Can't figure out how to attach the pic from my phone but its called 

The Audiophile's Guide: The Loudspeaker by Paul McGowen

37 minutes ago, thebes said:

Well, then you should probably rush out and get this book published in late 2022 that claims to turn your two speaker system into a magical 3d sound experience. Oh yeah,  there's also a SACD you have to buy with it to create the miracle. 

Can't figure out how to attach the pic from my phone but its called 

The Audiophile's Guide: The Loudspeaker by Paul McGowen

https://www.amazon.com/Audiophiles-Guide-Loudspeaker-Unlock-secrets/dp/B0B92L7WSJ