Forte tweeter problem

Stash

I have a faulty tweeter diaphragm. When measuring the resistance I get no reading unless I press down on the positive terminal hard enough to bend the whole thing, as if there's a break in the thin copper wiring. The wire appears to be intact; could something cause this?

The magnet wire on the coil is extremely thin. It also has a thin layer of insulation covering the outside which makes it hard to get a resistance reading with a meter by just touching it.

If you can read through the voice coil, which sounds like you can then re-connect the thin magnet wire to the terminal. The heat from soldering should melt the insulation off the magnet wire in the connection or you can clean it off before soldering.

20 hours ago, captainbeefheart said:

The magnet wire on the coil is extremely thin. It also has a thin layer of insulation covering the outside which makes it hard to get a resistance reading with a meter by just touching it.

If you can read through the voice coil, which sounds like you can then re-connect the thin magnet wire to the terminal. The heat from soldering should melt the insulation off the magnet wire in the connection or you can clean it off before soldering.

I let the solder iron get too hot & the plastic started to melt. The wire looks sorta fried too. About the only thing I can think of is repositioning the terminal so that the wire can reach it, or somehow lengthening the terminal. 

BTW I could see there was a break in the wire where it meets the terminal.

Thanks!

20 hours ago, justonemore said:

If your repair doesn't work I have a pair to sell. I also have a pair of titainium ones.

I actually have a pair of Crites Ti diaphragms. I was trying them on both the Fortes & KG4s when I damaged this one. Thanks for offer.