Crossover mods.

9 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Hard to find an HD bike that is still stock. At least I never left any of mine that way.

new bike pics 017.JPG

My best friend was manager at Harley dealer that sold Suzuki's as well. Claimed he'd sell a Suzuki and rarely ever see them again. Sell a Harley and they usually were back in the store the next weekend buying something else. 

8 hours ago, geezin' said:

That's what pays my bills. I work on Harleys and have off and on since 1979. Currently ride a '20 Road King as my daily rider. 45K miles and stock. Well all Harley. Has some OEM exhaust from a CVO that a customer gave me. And a police solo. Only makes 80hp/104lb/ft but that's fine for what I do with it.  :D

image_6487327 copy.JPG

I had a very dear old friend 25 to 30 years ago that worked on Harleys for city and dealer. Even was on the Harley racing team years ago. Harley actually sent him a new leather jacket when he was in his 70's. He admitted they broke down a lot but that is the way you meet people. Claimed he had broke down in every state in the USA. 

15 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Shouldn't that be within the adjustment band of the stock EFI. ??

That's had to be the First, most common Mod ever. 🙄

EFI?  What's that?

Actually, that's the next round on the XS650. the 800 might just get one as well.

Anyways, back to the program. 🤪

• Moderators
On 12/12/2022 at 9:58 AM, geezin' said:

That's what pays my bills. I work on Harleys and have off and on since 1979. Currently ride a '20 Road King as my daily rider. 45K miles and stock. Well all Harley. Has some OEM exhaust from a CVO that a customer gave me. And a police solo. Only makes 80hp/104lb/ft but that's fine for what I do with it.  :D

image_6487327 copy.JPG

Will give your background, I hope you may know. So I'm curious, does HD in the owner's manual or official service manuals recommend a specific brand of oil? If so, what is it?

Thanks in advance,

Travis

Parwll

2 minutes ago, Travis In Austin said:

Will give your background, I hope you may know. So I'm curious, does HD in the owner's manual or official service manuals recommend a specific brand of oil? If so, what is it?

Thanks in advance,

Travis

HD Oil, of course

$6 quart

Loaded with Zinc for protection in a Motor that should not last 5000 miles

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Travis In Austin said:

Thanks in advance,

Travis

If it's a Milwaukee 8 they recommend Harley Syn3. made for Harley by Citgo. An above average oil but not a true synthetic. It's a group III which has a mineral base stock with a heavy additive package.

Personally I run Mobil 1 15w50. With OEM Harley oil filters.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, geezin' said:

OK back on topic. Cannot remember where I found this but can someone explain what it is and why to do it? Is it a factory thing?

H1mod.jpg

This mod reduces the voltage to the squawker and tweeter an extra 3db each.  However, moving the squawker and tweeter taps doubles the load on the shared 2uf capacitor.  This actually results in a voltage "bump" across the squawker before settling down to the new desired attenuation.  The purpose of the parallel resistor is to cut the new load in half, pretty much back to where it was in stock form.  The resulting transfer function is now down the extra 3db at all frequencies.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, geezin' said:

If it's a Milwaukee 8 they recommend Harley Syn3. made for Harley by Citgo. An above average oil but not a true synthetic. It's a group III which has a mineral base stock with a heavy additive package.

Personally I run Mobil 1 15w50. With OEM Harley oil filters.

So HD recommends that you use HD brand oil in their motors, some at least. So I’m guessing M8s are shipped with Syn3?

• Moderators
4 hours ago, mboxler said:

This mod reduces the voltage to the squawker and tweeter an extra 3db each.  However, moving the squawker and tweeter taps doubles the load on the shared 2uf capacitor.  This actually results in a voltage "bump" across the squawker before settling down to the new desired attenuation.  The purpose of the parallel resistor is to cut the new load in half, pretty much back to where it was in stock form.  The resulting transfer function is now down the extra 3db at all frequencies.

Transfer function, interesting, so that is a thing?

Interesting that @Chief bonehead was doing that work and he “checked it against the Lab Standard and his work was approved by Jim Hunter @JRH. Guess that chamber,

lab grade microphones, lab grade analyzers, scopes and thingamajigs are not just for show and ads.

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

You know..

I tore apart a number of engines in the early 1980s

That had used Mobil Detergent Oil

They all had white deposits from the Detergents on the Oil Screen

Clearly should have gone with what the manufacturer’s engineers recommended.