Recommendations for an amp to pair with new RP-600M - Needs to shake house off foundation

Ozzyhead

Hi all, I am new to the forum. I'm looking for the cleanest sound I can get out of my new RP-600M's.  Current amp is a Pioneer VSX-517 110-watt receiver. Anytime I want to really crank it, it overloads and shuts off. Replaced all wires. Running 16 guage speaker wire. I can't have this. Need it loud and clean. No radio or anything else is needed. Just running a 1977 Pioneer PL117D turntable with a Fosi Audio Box - Tube Preamp. Subwoofer is a real old Polk-Audio. I'd like to stay under $500.  Should be able to handle the heaviest of all heavy metal and shake up my neighbors.

Thanks!

Mitch

• Like 3

I started thinking about this more and your speakers really cannot handle more than 100 watts of power, and an honest 100 watt amplifier should make your ears bleed in a normal listening room.

I actually more question the health of your current Pioneer. If someone wants me to look over their amplifier which is usually just some quick bench tests to see if the amplifier is meeting it's specifications. It takes longer to let the amp warm up, I usually let it sit for at least half an hour and then test power output vs distortion, check bandwidth at different power levels vs distortion and shoot some square waves through it for good measure. I charge $20 for this if I don't really know the person, for a friend or local person I know I usually just do it for free.

Is there someone you can have check over the amplifier to make sure it's meeting is specifications? Even the protection circuits can be a source for malfunction, lots of old receivers that has DC protection usually has a sense pin that is AC bypassed with a large capacitor. These capacitors age and don't always shunt all the AC output signal and when pushing the amplifier hard will trigger the protection to kick in. There are lots of common problems, that's just an example.

I just wanted to throw this out there in case it didn't cross your mind. 110 watts should be plenty of power and any more will actually damage your speakers.

• Like 2

Does the amp's cooling fan run when pushing the amp hard?

Do you have plenty of ventilation around the vents of the amp?

It sounds like the amp is going into protection from overheating and it could very well be a simple, inexpensive repair.

Try removing the cover of the amplifier and use an external fan blowing at the internals while running the amp hard again. If it doesn't go into protection mode or if it holds up longer than it normally does than you know it's a temperature issue.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/3/2022 at 7:12 PM, Ozzyhead said:

Hi all, I am new to the forum. I'm looking for the cleanest sound I can get out of my new RP-600M's.  Current amp is a Pioneer VSX-517 110-watt receiver. Anytime I want to really crank it, it overloads and shuts off. Replaced all wires. Running 16 guage speaker wire. I can't have this. Need it loud and clean. No radio or anything else is needed. Just running a 1977 Pioneer PL117D turntable with a Fosi Audio Box - Tube Preamp. Subwoofer is a real old Polk-Audio. I'd like to stay under $500.  Should be able to handle the heaviest of all heavy metal and shake up my neighbors.

Thanks!

Mitch

Welcome to the Forum, Mitch.

take Captainbeefheart's advice

Then the next thing you need to do is get some 12 gauge speaker wire to ensure maximum power delivery from amp to speaker, especially if you have longer cable runs (ie: 40')

Second, RP-600M are not going to "shake the house", regardless of how much power you put into them.

If you want to shake up your neighbors get a quad of really good subwoofers (like four 2x15 with at least 500watts per). That's what I did. I was playing Tool. About 5 minutes later my neighbor rings the door bell. I open the door, "Hi Chris". She says "You know, it's really loud". And that's in single family homes

• 2 months later...