Question for all boneheads, including the Chief

Coytee

Situation:  I live in a small town.  It literally has (at the SAME (only one in town) intersection) a stop sign AND interestingly, a blinking red light.  It has a historic building that was originally 4 businesses inside of one brick structure.  Today, the 1st unit is town diner, 2nd unit is a museum and both 3rd and 4th units were merged into one BUT, years ago was gutted by fire.  The mayor and town are working on reviving the entire building and getting this last unit fixed.

One of my neighbors is the one contracted to get the "building inside of the building" built.  They're going to keep the exterior facade and just build something sturdy inside.

Fine....  Well, they need finances (donations) and thus far have $300K.

Next summer, they are looking to do an outdoor "concert" (live or recorded?  I have no clue) down by the lake at our neighbors house or possibly in someone's corn field depending on the timing of the event and any crops!

Got me thinking.....  I wonder if I could provide the sound (be a nice plug for some "ok sounding" speakers)

I'm not going to be able to buy anything new so got to thinking about... MWM bins or KP 600 stacks.  My question is if you had both at your disposal, which would you prefer for an outdoor event and a single stack of each...  can't have 15 of these things hanging around, storage isn't a small issue!

I'm contemplating a hunt for a pair of either of above.  (I'd want complete stacks of the 600's but could start with the MWM doubles and build up from there.  So I thought I'd ask the crowd.

• Like 1

Well I have the 4-way MCM plus 684 subs, and forum member JWC has the KP-600s + 684 subs which I have heard several times.

Apples vs. oranges, but..........  KP-600s all the way as far as powerhouse system that can do it all.  JWC has told me a few times that my MCM has more detail than his KP-600 setup.  To me, the KP-600s have it all.  Nothing missing.  Nothing more to desire.

Only time I 've ever heard a 600 stack was at a pilgrimage...My impression was it was good as live sound reinforcement when the band played but for music reproduction/listening Ahh take it or leave it. My Jubes sound better IMHO. Of course maybe they weren't dialed in. YMMV.

Having Pro setups for many years myself and rotating MANY preamps and amps of different types both home audio, pro audio, tubes and s/s.........I can't say enough about the value of very good electronics (including the source electronics).  It makes all the difference in the world concerning reproducing the micro detail in the source.

These big multi-channel systems really respond well to very good electronics.

23 hours ago, rockhound said:

Live concert 600 stacks

Recorded concert MCM’s

Richard is indicating a large, open air show. I would go with all horns (MWM system), no matter which form of music. The horns will go the distance...

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 12/4/2022 at 9:40 AM, Coytee said:

Next summer, they are looking to do an outdoor "concert" (live or recorded?  I have no clue) down by the lake at our neighbors house or possibly in someone's corn field depending on the timing of the event and any crops!

Got me thinking.....  I wonder if I could provide the sound (be a nice plug for some "ok sounding" speakers)

Have them make a $10K donation to the Klipsch Museum of Audio History and we will have a full KSP 600 System (thank you JC) along with a full set of Montegators set up over there at the lake with a mixing boards, etc. and they can go hog wild. They can even sit in the lake in their boats and we will pipe it out there. Former Roadie/FOH man Tim Cooper will run it and whomever is playing will sound so, so good. 

If they want a sample they can come in March for PWK Bday Bash event and hear them for themselves. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

March for PWK Bday Bash event

What/when is this?  (I get the what, you just said it)

My calendar at work usually starts populating 2-3 months in advance.  If I try to attend, I need to block the time off asap.

I didn't know you sold your MWMs!  What I'd do is 2 MWMs and 2 La Scalas per side and cross the MWMs as high as practical.  I would think that would be easier to find than a whole MCM 1900 rig. 

Maybe you could rent 2 KPT-1802 and some KPT-396s from Klipsch.  I'll bet I can find a copilot or 2nd tow vehicle. 

• Moderators
On 12/10/2022 at 6:46 AM, Coytee said:

What/when is this?  (I get the what, you just said it)

My calendar at work usually starts populating 2-3 months in advance.  If I try to attend, I need to block the time off asap.

I posted the save the date Flyer and pinned at the top of topics,

March 8, 9, 10 and 11

15 hours ago, JohnA said:

I didn't know you sold your MWMs! 

I didn't....  I gave them away.  They were given to me by JC so I kept the honor.

I did have a pair of singles/fiberglass/trim that I put drivers in so I did get reimbursed for the drivers but I gave the doubles away.

Quoting Dr. Smith...  "Oh, the pain.....the pain....."

Pic is the day I picked them up at JC's.  

Trailer.jpg

• Like 1

I can't believe its been about five years. I have certainly enjoyed them.

I just moved across town this summer and they are currently just sitting in the garage.

I intend to go a different route with my theater build in the new place.

You can feel free to come get them for the exact same price I paid you.

I did clean them up a bit....

20180326_174601123.jpg

• Like 2