KLIPSCH Industrial (H1) Restoration Questions HISTORICAL REFERENCE DATA (V.4 – 27 January 2016) by GroomLakeArea51 with additional information from The Historian

tommccarty

I just returned from a garage sale where a pair of Heresy's. Guessing they are Heresy 1 but not sure. So here is the data:

K-42 woofer

K-55V mid/sqawker

K-77 tweeter

Serial # 1839

These show as TYPE HI which I think means industrial. What does that mean? Different components, construction?

Front grill is not removable. Back of speaker is screwed on and can be removed for access to components. 

Cabinet is ply construction, not mitered, finish unknown as it is pretty weathered. It had been used as an outdoor speaker. 

Wiring(inside) is red/white striped going to external speaker connections. Simple red/black connectors and fuse on back.

Program: 125 W

Sine Wave 100 W 45-4,000 Hz

I think this means they are likely early version, like late 60's to mid-70"s. HELP please, Thanks

I have a pair of JBL Century 100's that I was proud of but these blow the JBL's away. Clarity, soundstage, outstanding mid-range, power.

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, tommccarty said:

I just returned from a garage sale where a pair of Heresy's. Guessing they are Heresy 1 but not sure. So here is the data:

K-42 woofer

K-55V mid/sqawker

K-77 tweeter

Serial # 1839

Nice find!

Can you snap a photo of the labels with the SN? This will help in getting you all available information.

Welcome to the Forum.

Travis

I see a lot of discussion about mods and maintenance items. Should I consider changing out the capacitors and other replacement options as these speakers may be 50 yrs old and well used. If so, can someone please provide the exact part numbers for the parts needed? 

Speakers sound fine to me but I have no idea what these replacements/upgrades might provide to clarity, soundstage, etc.

1 hour ago, tommccarty said:

I see a lot of discussion about mods and maintenance items. Should I consider changing out the capacitors and other replacement options as these speakers may be 50 yrs old and well used. If so, can someone please provide the exact part numbers for the parts needed? 

Speakers sound fine to me but I have no idea what these replacements/upgrades might provide to clarity, soundstage, etc.

Check out JEM Performance Audio, they’re the only Klipsch authorized crossover service company.  They’ll be able to help you out.

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Check out JEM Performance Audio, they’re the only Klipsch authorized crossover service company.  They’ll be able to help you out.

Agree with that, they can probably use a new set of caps. Not sure if JEM has that parts for that crossover, but if they don’t,

or Tom (op) doesn’t solder @Deang can help him out, he is the factory authorized crossover network rebuilder.

• Moderators
12 hours ago, tommccarty said:

Now we will need photos of the crossover networks. This will help make sure they are the same networks in each speaker (and to see if they are original or reworked). 

I will leave it to others to advise on how to determine whether you might want to consider replacement diaphrams for the mid/or tweeter diaphragms.

Im going to move this to the repair restoration section so it gets more visibility.

On 12/3/2022 at 1:25 PM, tommccarty said:

K-42 woofer

K-55V mid/sqawker

K-77 tweeter

Serial # 1839

These show as TYPE HI which I think means industrial. What does that mean? Different components, construction?

Front grill is not removable. Back of speaker is screwed on and can be removed for access to components. 

Cabinet is ply construction, not mitered, finish unknown as it is pretty weathered. It had been used as an outdoor speaker. 

Wiring(inside) is red/white striped going to external speaker connections. Simple red/black connectors and fuse on back.

Program: 125 W

Sine Wave 100 W 45-4,000 Hz

I think this means they are likely early version, like late 60's to mid-70"s. HELP please, Thanks

I have a pair of JBL Century 100's that I was proud of but these blow the JBL's away. Clarity, soundstage, outstanding mid-range, power.

I cant see your picture , but from your description , these would be  the klipsch  HIP   late 70's  EVM 12L -k-42  woofer , EV T-35 Alnico k-77 tweeter . K700   metal  midrange horn on an Atlas PD5VH - K-55V  Alnico  driver  , crossover is the HIE   balancing Network  ,  with  either 3 or 4 metal mylar  Cans    depending on the value of the capacitors , 

Heresy HIP Klipsch - HiFi-Do McIntosh/JBL/audio-technica/Jeff  Rowland/Accuphase

klipsch_heresy_industrial_port_1637574682_ff23fbee_progressive.jpg

Klipsch Heresy HIP (HIE) Crossover & K-55V - $110 Shipped - Garage Sale -  The Klipsch Audio Community

post-26147-13819524953994.jpg

Those are probably running the HIE network. You will want to change those to Type E for home use. Change 8uF to 2uF and rewire so the midrange is on Tap 2, and move tweeter leg to Tap 3 on the autotransformer. 

dgwescott@gmail.com

5DEC226A-10D6-47BA-97FE-D2130BF9BE84.jpeg

• Like 2