Crossover A Klipschorn cap replacement help

Aoran994

27 minutes ago, geoff. said:

This brings up another question that has been nagging me…

If placing a capacitor in series DECREASES capacitance, could we go that route to obtain the correct value? 

What effect would the increase in resistance have?

I do not see why not but it is not something I have ever seen in any electronic gear. Sometimes seen in tube PS sections being that it increases the voltage rating eliminating the need for a higher voltage rated capacitor, higher cost. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geoff. said:

My apologies on the previous post, Q Components stocks a .20mH inductor.

I use three different suppliers up here. It’s Parts Connexion that has a Litz in the .24mH.

But they don’t have polyester capacitors, it’s beneath them, lol.

The problem is that dealers like parts connection have no official office in Europe, so you must add expensive shipping, customs and VAT. Mouser has offices in different European countries, no warehouse, just the office and therefore all orders are without customs but only the German or Italian VAT. VAT is always the final addition, so when you pay for shipping e.g. 70€ then VAT of 19% in G. must be paid as the last step for everything. So, the best would be to find another supplier for the coils or even for the whole order who is based in Europe to get all out of one hand. Or do you already reach 50€ @Aoran994 at your order with mouser without the coils? Then I would order it and we look where to get the coils separately this side of the pond.

2 hours ago, KT88 said:

The problem is that dealers like parts connection have no official office in Europe, so you must add expensive shipping, customs and VAT. Mouser has offices in different European countries, no warehouse, just the office and therefore all orders are without customs but only the German or Italian VAT. VAT is always the final addition, so when you pay for shipping e.g. 70€ then VAT of 19% in G. must be paid as the last step for everything. So, the best would be to find another supplier for the coils or even for the whole order who is based in Europe to get all out of one hand. Or do you already reach 50€ @Aoran994 at your order with mouser without the coils? Then I would order it and we look where to get the coils separately this side of the pond.

Parts Express? 

5 minutes ago, Deang said:

I thought he could do Mouser for the capacitors? 

Jantzen is Danish, and they’re part of the EU. Their products should be everywhere over there. 

Yes that’s what I also thought. A quick look shows several dealers for Jantzen coils over here in the EU. Having the info of 20 gauge @Aoran994 or I could calculate the thickness of the wire in mm by tomorrow, or you have a Jantzen parts number of the right coil, Dean?

7 hours ago, Deang said:

Part #000-1528

.250mH 80mm .33DCR

Thank you a lot, Dean. Here is an example of a shop where to buy the correct Jantzen part number in Italy.

https://www.costruireaudio.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=000-1528

But @Aoran994may know better where to buy. Aoran, does it make sense what Dean also recommends, to buy the capacitors from Mouser and the coils like in my link above (or another supplier)?

I just run over the numbers, and because the 1 uF capacitors cost 4 € each (you need 8 of them) you get about 65€ for all capacitors together. So the shipping is free at Mouser. (Only Italian VAT will be added). But then you have all the parts quite correctly in the electrical properties and the correct values. 

EDIT:

By chance I have seen that this italian side offers also Polyester caps, It looks like a „house brand“ and I do not know what one could do wrong or less good when producing Polyester Caps. 

https://www.costruireaudio.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=6.8 uF

On the other hand the website looks serious and you see reputed brands of caps for other purposes. So this yellow MKT capacitors are „in good society“.  Could be even cheaper to buy those caps. (MKT = Polyester)

BTW, in the end you have to know yourself what you like better, type A or type AA. You have read it, there are different tastes here, and that's good. With your parts you can very quickly turn a type AA into a type A xover and vice versa. Then you can listen to one for a whole day or week and then the other.

Please come back to this forum or thread also when you have all installed because I guess that all here are curious what you think regarding the sound and which type A vs AA you personally may prefer.

PS

@geoff.Thanks for your link. We still have to get used to the fact that the British are no longer in the EU. It's now the same expensive hassle as buying something in the US or Japan. Gone are the days where I could buy good spark plugs from England via Amazon for almost half. the price..

Thank you everyone for the help! I will make this list and buy everything! Thanks for the link too !you really did too much for me ahah 

here is the order, i did found the 12uf instead of getting the 6.8/4.7/1.5 together, its cheaper

this is for the AA

crossover.jpg

Edited by Aoran994
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Aoran994 said:

Thank you everyone for the help! I will make this list and buy everything! Thanks for the link too !you really did too much for me ahah 

here is the order, i did found the 12uf instead of getting the 6.8/4.7/1.5 together, its cheaper

this is for the AA

crossover.jpg

Aoran, ok, but the Mundorf you want to order are no! MKT (Polyester) types they are MKP (Polypropylene) types. This is exactly the difference half of the whole thread was about.

Even if it is a bit more expensive (but we have neared a good price in general finally when you order everything from this Italian website) I would order the MKT types, this yellow housebrand, because only those are similar to that what Klipsch sells and recommends themselves. If you will afford it you could buy the Mundorfs and the yellow MKT types and make your own comparison. The difference will not be only a change in sound (may be more metallic harsh with the Mundorf) but the balance and the timing of the whole speaker could be a bit out of tune.

Even if the caps are intended to control the squaker and tweeter, they have influence how the bass will perform.

I do not say that it will not work at all when using the Mundorf caps but after so much effort I would take the MKTs at least as the Alternative choice. We can discuss about the freedom of taste and choice, I only say that the MKT are electrically the right ones because of their properties.

Funnily the cheapest Mundorf MKP will work better with the Khorn than the more expensive ones because the expensive ones may have an even lower ESR which is the opposite of our goal here but they are only a compromise.

Only I imagine you listening for years to your pride and joy Khorns but because of a 10 € difference you never have experienced how the Khorn was intended to sound.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, KT88 said:

Aoran, ok, but the Mundorf you want to order are no! MKT (Polyester) types they are MKP (Polypropylene) types. This is exactly the difference half of the whole thread was about.

Even if it is a bit more expensive (but we have neared a good price in general finally when you order everything from this Italian website) I would order the MKT types, this yellow housebrand, because only those are similar to that what Klipsch sells and recommends themselves. If you will afford it you could buy the Mundorfs and the yellow MKT types and make your own comparison. The difference will not be only a change in sound (may be more metallic harsh with the Mundorf) but the balance and the timing of the whole speaker could be a bit out of tune.

Even if the caps are intended to control the squaker and tweeter, they have influence how the bass will perform.

I do not say that it will not work at all when using the Mundorf caps but after so much effort I would take the MKTs at least as the Alternative choice. We can discuss about the freedom of taste and choice, I only say that the MKT are electrically the right ones because of their properties.

Funnily the cheapest Mundorf MKP will work better with the Khorn than the more expensive ones because the expensive ones may have an even lower ESR which is the opposite of our goal here but they are only a compromise.

Only I imagine you listening for years to your pride and joy Khorns but because of a 10 € difference you never have experienced how the Khorn was intended to sound.

ah ok! i didnt understand it then, https://www.costruireaudio.com/crossover/condensatori/condensatori-mkt-250v-5-poliestere/

you mean this one polyester, they are very cheap , thanks!!

• Like 1