Epic CF-2 Help Needed

doobiesd

I have a set of CF-2 that have been sitting dormant for years, and were working fine when I unplugged them. Both speakers have a crackle now. I am thinking the crossovers are shot. I can't find any replacements online. Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thank you!

IMG_3225.jpg

IMG_3227.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, would think not the crossovers as much as possible corrosion at the speaker connections.

BTW, has what you are powering with them been setting also?

If so, likely hearing static from speakers via the volume, balance, etc. Would work them manually and deoxidize them with contact cleaner.

Welcome!

Edited by billybob

I will try and clean all of the connections and try again. What do you recommend?  

Regarding the power source, I have 2 different Yamaha AVRs I tried. The newer AVR has been powering my Zone 2 and 3 in my house. I pulled it out to verify it wasn't my first avr.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, doobiesd said:

I have a set of CF-2 that have been sitting dormant for years, and were working fine when I unplugged them. Both speakers have a crackle now. I am thinking the crossovers are shot. I can't find any replacements online. Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thank you!

IMG_3225.jpg

IMG_3227.jpg

Well they look good so far , no burned surfaces or something similar, don´t think that they´re the problem. The crackles ? coming from the woofers or the horn driver ? If the woofer causing the crackles..maybe the cones got a problem . Does the crackles appear even in lower or higher volumes  ? 

I think I figured it out, with a combination everyone advise. The right speaker I reconnected each of the drives, but I think the issue was a weak connection on the rear terminal, with the nut. 

The left speaker, the bottom woofer is blown. Visibly it looks good, but it is distorting. Any suggestions on repair or replacement? Where do you recommend to buy a replacement?

One a side note, my matching sub has a consistent low hum. I have tried different outlets, its plugged directly into the wall. I have tried the ground delete wall adapter....

Thanks again!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, doobiesd said:

I think I figured it out, with a combination everyone advise. The right speaker I reconnected each of the drives, but I think the issue was a weak connection on the rear terminal, with the nut. 

The left speaker, the bottom woofer is blown. Visibly it looks good, but it is distorting. Any suggestions on repair or replacement? Where do you recommend to buy a replacement?

One a side note, my matching sub has a consistent low hum. I have tried different outlets, its plugged directly into the wall. I have tried the ground delete wall adapter....

Thanks again!

No idea where to get them , look for WOOFER K-1029-KN 8" (20.32cm) Poly carbon graphite cones , maybe ebay us or somewhere else

On 12/8/2022 at 2:15 PM, doobiesd said:

The left speaker, the bottom woofer is blown. Visibly it looks good, but it is distorting. 

we have to determine what's  wrong with the woofer , 

1st step get an Ohmmeter , switch the dial to Ohms .....test both woofers .....what are the results for the  good and the bad woofer ?