Radial vs Axial Capacitor Help

Jhakobe

I’ve searched through the forum and not found a satisfying answer, so I’m just going to ask what may be a silly question: Can I use an axial capacitor in place of a radial and, more importantly (or more confounding to me), how can the axial be mounted sufficiently?

This question is in regards to a pair of KG 1.5 speakers I recently acquired. The sound was off between them so I opened them up to find one blown woofer. While the crossover was out I desoldered a 25uf cap and checked it - it read 28.5, so out of spec. Klipsch still has the woofers (yay!) so I ordered them. I’m having trouble finding a decent  radial 25uf capacitor (and a 20uf) to replace the old ones. Axial’s are available though.

Any insight greatly appreciated!

11 minutes ago, Deang said:

Yeah, impossible to find, at least for some of us. Maybe @henry4841can help.

I just slightly extend one of the leads using the j-hook method. I’ll post a picture here later this afternoon if you don’t know what I mean by that.

Good to know they’re hard to find and that it’s not just me.

If you have time, and don’t mind posting a picture, I would appreciate knowing how pros do it. Thanks. 

20 minutes ago, Deang said:

Yeah, impossible to find, at least for some of us. Maybe @henry4841can help.

I just slightly extend one of the leads using the j-hook method. I’ll post a picture here later this afternoon if you don’t know what I mean by that.

No difference electronically between radial vs axial other than adding wire to leads to make connections. Not as pretty when finished but the crossover could care less. Radials are just made for board installations but no reason they cannot take the place of a axial. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jhakobe said:

. I’m having trouble finding a decent  radial 25uf capacitor (and a 20uf) to replace the old ones. Axial’s are available though.

you can reach out to @JEM Performance   412-401-6915.               theaudioroom@verizon.net   they   sell  klipsch genuine capacitors , and they should be able to sell you a kit to restore your KG 1,5 crossovers 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deang said:

@Jhakobe Your values are small enough that the capacitor body is short enough where the lead will protrude once you bend it over the body of the capacitor. For larger axial electrolytics, you can do what’s shown. I have no idea if these will show up in the right order. 

B5CE91FE-0235-427F-9A14-DB6B6BC186E6.jpeg

315BE839-2079-4902-B4A4-B6E0B5BB1AAC.jpeg

6DFAC8DA-CB18-4C2D-8291-07AA3A4AD213.jpeg

0498A76D-DB5C-467A-9FCF-4E68E371175F.jpeg

68E142EB-4B01-4217-91C4-0A77782F60C3.jpeg

That perfectly shows me what I need to do. Thank you! For the lead extension wire, is that something I can order as well, does it have a name?

3 hours ago, henry4841 said:

No difference electronically between radial vs axial other than adding wire to leads to make connections. Not as pretty when finished but the crossover could care less. Radials are just made for board installations but no reason they cannot take the place of an axial. 

Great information. Thank you!

1 hour ago, JohnA said:

there is no difference in the performance due to the lead attachment method.  But, but sure to use a good film and foil cap and avoid electrolytics in speakers. 

2 hours ago, OO1 said:

you can reach out to @JEM Performance   412-401-6915.               theaudioroom@verizon.net   they   sell  klipsch genuine capacitors , and they should be able to sell you a kit to restore your KG 1,5 crossovers 

I checked out JEM but it looked like they mostly provide capacitor kits. It’s worth contacting them, though. Thanks. If they don’t have anything it looks like I have a plan “B”.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deang said:

@Jhakobe Your values are small enough that the capacitor body is short enough where the lead will protrude once you bend it over the body of the capacitor. For larger axial electrolytics, you can do what’s shown. I have no idea if these will show up in the right order. 

B5CE91FE-0235-427F-9A14-DB6B6BC186E6.jpeg

315BE839-2079-4902-B4A4-B6E0B5BB1AAC.jpeg

6DFAC8DA-CB18-4C2D-8291-07AA3A4AD213.jpeg

0498A76D-DB5C-467A-9FCF-4E68E371175F.jpeg

68E142EB-4B01-4217-91C4-0A77782F60C3.jpeg

What is that you have covered the connection with? Curious. Gob of heat shrink?

2 hours ago, Jhakobe said:

That perfectly shows me what I need to do. Thank you! For the lead extension wire, is that something I can order as well, does it have a name?

You just clip the lead from the other side of the cap - you don’t need the whole thing. 

• Like 2

On 12/18/2022 at 1:36 PM, OO1 said:

I got my "klipsch genuine capacitors" from GEM and they are all axials.

Thank you Deang for the workaround.

Is there a best way to glue these down (Mine are for Chorus 2's)?  I got the marine goop you recommended somewhere else. 

Even though these are non-polarized, is there and ideal way to install (locate outer foil) and it's direction in the signal path? I only have an regular digital meter.

Thanks

IMG_2377-2.jpg

Edited by amped
another question

Been a while since I worked on those. Aren’t there two PCB versions, one that is double stacked and one that’s single?

Doesn’t that 6uF mount vertically?

It doesn’t matter which way they are oriented, it’s AC. I do cave to my OCD and orient them the same on both networks. 

I like that adhesive, but once it’s on that’s it. I would let it cure at least 24 hours before getting any heat near it. 

Could I please see a good pic. 

Thanks,

Dean