Radial vs Axial Capacitor Help

Jhakobe

4 hours ago, Deang said:

Been a while since I worked on those. Aren’t there two PCB versions, one that is double stacked and one that’s single?

Doesn’t that 6uF mount vertically?

It doesn’t matter which way they are oriented, it’s AC. I do cave to my OCD and orient them the same on both networks. 

I like that adhesive, but once it’s on that’s it. I would let it cure at least 24 hours before getting any heat near it. 

Could I please see a good pic. 

Thanks,

Dean

Not sure if stacked or not. Same for the 6uF. I'll have a look.

Thanks for the glue and cap orientation tips. 

I'll post pix when I get it done.

IMG_2376-2.jpg

@ampedI hope it’s not too late - don’t use that adhesive on that material. If you ever have to remove anything, it’ll destroy the board. Also, long cure time, and I wouldn’t get any real heat near it for at least 24 hours. 

If you send me the networks I will do them for free, just pay for shipping both ways. You would actually be doing me a favor because when the kits were announced, I knew these might be a major pain. It gives me a chance to work the puzzle and to help out Jim (JEM). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Deang said:

. It gives me a chance to work the puzzle 

you can add a sub-board ala Chorus  1   For the larger capacitors   , otherwise , you'll need a cup of coffee and we all know you're cranky 

1538922452_ChorusIcrossover1.jpeg.e608fe39ea2cc10d4953c4e015e54009.jpeg

• Haha 1

I will use this thread to document the work using pictures. 

People deciding to do this should have decent desoldering/soldering skills, and be prepared to do some out of the box thinking. Replacement parts rarely just fall into place. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Deang said:

I will use this thread to document the work using pictures. 

People deciding to do this should have decent desoldering/soldering skills, and be prepared to do some out of the box thinking. Replacement parts rarely just fall into place. 

I’m finding all of this extremely helpful. Glad the topic has expanded.

• Like 1

Just received my caps from JEM today as well... also Chorus II's.

Will wait a few days to see how this turns out for everyone... I haven't determined placement of these yet, given the different size and wire orientation than the stock caps.  Hopefully, it won't end up something I regret tackling myself - all due respect the Crites guy (that's how I went with my Fortes), the $68 cost of these compared to the $500-plus for the Crites drop-ins is a lot more appealing, especially given the outlay of $1200 for the speakers that came as a surprise to the S/O :-O.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, richieb said:

— I remember when a statement of “upgrading” a Klipsch speaker was becoming verboten to be replaced with the “modifying” of a Klipsch speaker. That seemed the more  palatable reference - And either way could no longer be known as Klipsch - 

I have to admit to two mods on my Fortes, one of which to my ears was an improvement, the other of which I can't make any claims. The first was swapping out the factory crossovers - which were nearly 30 years old at that time - with Crites with Sonicaps. To my ears, they became a little clearer, as though a thin veil had been lifted between the speakers and my ears. I had been listening to them almost daily for those 28-plus years, and am confident in what I heard - I'm guessing that the old caps were beginning to degrade out-of-spec, and perhaps there is something to be said for "better" capacitors.  (I've thought for some time that the company could improve upon their crossover networks and internal wiring, although I'm told that such topics are frowned upon here in the "community").  The other mod was replacing the tweeter diaphragms with titaniums, and I had difficulty discerning appreciable change - perhaps because of the persistent high-tone tinnitus I've suffered from for years.
I've opted to go for the JEM-produced authorized replacement caps for the Chorus II's I recently acquired, and am awaiting what the old pro has to share here about his solution to the problem posed by the OP.

1 hour ago, richieb said:

— I remember when a statement of “upgrading” a Klipsch speaker was becoming verboten to be replaced with the “modifying” of a Klipsch speaker. That seemed the more  palatable reference - And either way could no longer be known as Klipsch -

When you start replacing tweeters, horns, and networks - then I would agree that it’s not Klipsch anymore. It wasn’t done by Klipsch and it doesn’t sound like Klipsch, so how can it be Klipsch? 

Making a change and calling it a mod, that one happens to like, is not the same as making a change and calling it an “upgrade”, which often carries with it unsubstantiated claims of technical improvement. In some cases, the change is a technical degradation that one just happens to like the sound of. 

@chuckears I believe if the capacitors are having issues, ANY new set of capacitors will net a noticeable change. So, why not use parts that put them to factory spec first to see where you’re really at. It sure leaves a lot of money left over for other things.

7 hours ago, Deang said:

@chuckears I believe if the capacitors are having issues, ANY new set of capacitors will net a noticeable change. So, why not use parts that put them to factory spec first to see where you’re really at. It sure leaves a lot of money left over for other things.

Hard to go wrong when you use what the manufacturer recommends for sure.

My thoughts, not proven myself being no way would I ever spend enormous amounts of money for something as simple as a capacitor, is that those expensive boutique caps often praised on this forum in the past rolled off the highs.. Maynard, tubefanatic, in his tube amplifier builds puts a circuit that rolls of the highs and calls it an ear bleed circuit. He likes it that way and so may others as well. A properly made capacitor should not do this and anyone that favors rolled of highs should consider doing so electronically and adjustable, tone controls and not at the speaker using a capacitor in the crossover.  

• Like 1