McIntosh MC2100 teardown/restoration

John Warren

Good to hear!

I took a year or so off servicing the old McIntosh hardware, tube and solid state to focus on the day job (which is also more engineering).  In my little world, getting to a point where I'll soon retire from all day jobs to focus on other things (getting old!) and going into retirement spending time working audio hardware has lots of appeal.  Good health into your 60s and 70s is the exception not to be taken for granted and extreme stress (like working in an engineering startup as a key contributor) debits health and beats up the immune system.  Sure, you can eat right like low carb. exercise and maintain a 23 BMI but the termites and Maxwell Demons are always nearby.

The amp I'm working on in the link above was missing a few parts, the owner wants it restored to "like new" condition.  I have some pretty scarce parts on hand including autotransfomers, power supply transformers, meters and even two 2100 stainless chassis, all in basically like new condition.  I managed to obtain this hardware whilst working at a McIntosh service facility in the late 70s!!!  There's also a method that allows the chassis to be polished to a mirror finish without taking the lettering off.  It's a secret.  

• Like 2

I was surprised to see a McIntosh branded audio system in a Jeep ad.  Is McIntosh featured in any other Stellantis/Chrysler brands?

My first awareness of a name brand car audio system was by Bose in a mid-80s Corvette.  Now branded OEM systems are common.

John,

Nice start to your North Reading Engineering forum, by the way.............where you are showing this MC-2100 rebuild.

Your HH Scott 299C / LK-72 unit for sale appears to be an awesome recreation of that unit.  The finished product and the test data you present are very impressive.  Someone will enjoy that for a long time.

3 hours ago, mark1101 said:

Your HH Scott 299C / LK-72 unit for sale appears to be an awesome recreation of that unit.  The finished product and the test data you present are very impressive.  Someone will enjoy that for a long time.

Thank you!  I made four amps and sold three.  It would be good if it had a wood-grained base that would make it aesthetically pleasing.  Might make it easier to sell too.  I can fabricate one if necessary.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...