Does the AK6 Klipschorn need false corners?

Bhai

3 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

Well you are wrong, and you apparently don’t have the capacity to understand why.

The designer of the speaker @Chief bonehead has already addressed this up above. 

I do  understand the function of the Enclosed backs ,  what I do not  understand is why ?  do khorns with enclosed backs  require walls,  to the same effect as  khorns without enclosed backs .

• Like 1

The corner out to about 4-4 1/2 feet actually makes the designed bass horn length. You will still have bass without the complete length but it will be rolling off.

Roy can correct me if I am wrong, but that is how I understand it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OO1 said:

I do  understand the function of the Enclosed backs ,  what I do not  understand is why ?  do khorns with enclosed backs  require walls,  to the same effect as  khorns without enclosed backs .

Look at PWK’s original DFH Paper on the issues of corner seal integration with the Klipschorn LF Horn and the results of an improper seal which leads to frequency variations in the upper portion of the LF Horn. PWK recommendation of some form of a rubber gasket at the tailboard was given as a solution.

The current closed back design addresses this potential issue more effectively while also allowing the ability to give some toe-in adjustment which the original gasket seal method doesn’t supply. This Toe-In adjustment ability is a very important advancement in my experience.

The need for corner installation(or false corner) although not requiring a tight seal due to enclosed back is still a requirement if you want the full low frequency balance/extension that the Klipschorn design is capable of.

miketn

90FF30B7-5866-4FBC-8906-CA4F16DACA2A.thumb.jpeg.a947206063818e77a3a4a855265fec5e.jpeg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bhai said:

What would you do in my case? Just go for the La Scalas? Or the quality with K-Horns will just be superior anyway?

LaScalas and a subwoofer. We all have limitations to what kind of speakers we can accommodate in our living arrangements.

• Like 1

What you said here is important ,  I agree completely , just to further  emphasize , if ANY of the Lascala bass output is being  passed to a subwoofer,  great care must be taken to ensure that  there is no loss of IMPACT  , OUTPUT or QUALITY to what the Lascala was  providing , we must be careful not to make negative compromise to the Lascala  sound .This also applies to Klipschorn 🤓

8 hours ago, henry4841 said:

Listened to my LaScala's for decades without a sub and was well satisfied. Just be sure you get a sub worthy of the LaScala. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tom05 said:

What you said here is important ,  I agree completely , just to further  emphasize , if ANY of the Lascala bass output is being  passed to a subwoofer,  great care must be taken to ensure that  there is no loss of IMPACT  , OUTPUT or QUALITY to what the Lascala was  providing , we must be careful not to make negative compromise to the Lascala  sound .This also applies to Klipschorn 🤓

@Tom05 What would you recommend to ensure those things? Would simply running the La Scalas as “large” (i.e., full range) speakers in the amp set up accomplish that?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

The need for corner installation(or false corner) although not requiring a tight seal due to enclosed back is still a requirement if you want the full low frequency balance/extension that the Klipschorn design is capable of.

Mike  , Tx  for the technical  feedback   .

Perhaps klipsch can design a false wall sectional  for  new khorns or for older khorns , mainly for those  who do not have proper corners or enclosed back khorns   , as  optional  from the Heritage Dept  .

On 12/28/2022 at 2:39 PM, Dave MacKay said:

@Tom05 What would you recommend to ensure those things? Would simply running the La Scalas as “large” (i.e., full range) speakers in the amp set up accomplish that?

Hi Dave , there’s different ways to solve this , big output is certainly important, if I’m not mistaken you went with horn subwoofers , which  is a good way to go , you get the Impact and the output , the quality ? My solution was to send all bass and LFE  to   full range Khorns and  augment them with a parallel  signal to a bunch of ported subwoofers located in the back  of the room. This works well and the khorns with their  sealed back chamber seem to tolerate the situation just fine . Even when I had a horn sub I ran full range as I thought at the time that it sounded better that way . It would  be interesting to give it another comparison today .Impact  is very important and the full range setup  preserves this . The LOWEST frequencies seem to do just fine with non horn drivers . And this seems to follow a trend that I’ve seen with big venue subwoofers , hybrid systems  with big low bass horns for great dynamics and impact,  combined with a ported back chamber to cover the very lowest frequencies . With normal speakers a guy can put in just about any subwoofer, select any old crossover point , open a can of beer and call it good . The big Klipsch models require more thought if one is  concerned about preserving the extraordinary impact , output and  the exemplary bass  quality that these speaker’s produce .Overall a good horn subwoofer could be a very good way to get the job done , but  other ways can work also , the important thing here is to take the necessary  measures to preserve and properly enhance/extend the great Klipsch bass , when using a subwoofer.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tom05 said:

Hi Dave , there’s different ways to do it , if I’m not mistaken you went with horn subwoofers , which  is a good way to go , you get the Impact and the output , the quality ? I send all bass and LFE  to   full range Khorns and  augment them with a parallel  signal to a bunch of ported subwoofers located at the rear  of the room. This works well and the khorns  sealed back chamber seems to tolerate the situation just fine . Even when I had a horn sub I ran full range 

Thanks.

You have a good memory: I have a pair of THTLP subs with my La Scalas. I think I’m doing what you’ve recommended, at least to the extent that my knowledge (and equipment) permit.

I run the La Scalas as “large” so that the entire audio signal —- including the bass —- is sent to them. The subs are fed a signal from the “subwoofer out” on my receiver via a MiniDSP 2x4HD. Although I’ve been experimenting with crossover frequency (anywhere from 40 Hz to 110 Hz), currently the subs are crossed at 80 Hz.

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, OO1 said:

Mike  , Tx  for the technical  feedback   .

Perhaps klipsch can design a false wall sectional  for  new khorns or for older khorns , mainly for those  who do not have proper corners or enclosed back khorns   , as  optional  from the Heritage Dept  .

They have, there is a Dope From Hope on it with regard to the non-sealed version. PWK ran Khorns, at least one of a pair, in a false corner In his home. 

A photo of the room with that glass on one side would those who thave done it to help Bhai determine whether it’s a viable option or not.