Speaker Boxes Behind Pro-180RPW In Ceiling?

Rusty Axle

As part of a 5.1 setup,, I'm installing Pro-180RPW speakers in a 45-degree ceiling just above a 10 ft vertical wall for rear surrounds. There is no opportunity to place the speakers in the wall due to passageways interfering.

The Pro-180RPWs are designed for infinite baffle. I have an aversion to having the speaker backside exposed to the extremes of a northern Indiana attic, so I am considering building a sealed box of approx 3 cubic feet interior space to lessen the exposure to temperature, humidity, dust bugs and critters. Also, the master bedroom is next door, so placing boxes over the speakers would help keep sound from traveling through the attic. The box would have rockwool blanket inside to help with temperature and acoustics. 

What do you think? Good thing? Waste of time? Positive or negative impact on sound?

Thanks for any competent guidance.

• Like 1

A three cubic ft internal volume is a fairly large volume for a 8 inch woofer playing down to only 52hz . (Relatively infinite)Drivers intended to operate in free air ,( like in wall speakers without  boxes )need a driver that can compensate  for the lack of damping that a box would provide  ,and that’s what  you have here. Your plan should be fine .🤓

• Like 1

Thanks Tom, I'll install boxes.  wuzzzer, re stands, the floor is ceramic tile and the seating area is centralized vs next to a wall, there's no good way to conceal speaker wires. There is a large section of carpet in the middle, but wires would have to cross tile floor in areas that are walkways. Ceiling was the only option to position the rears to mirror the Forte IIIs in front.

• Like 2