Looking for some tips for my CW4

Flevoman

Thank you so much for the help guys.
You are asking for more information to help me better, so let me give you all the information I can give.

@mikebse2a3 Poor speaker location?
I doubt that.

There is always room for improvement , but poor? 

Indead I have some funiture in my livingroom.
But not that many what can create problems with reflections I think.
Like I said, I have a wooden floor with a big carpet in front of my speakers.
There is a small saloon table in front of my listening position.
And that's it.
The right side of the sofa is blocking the woofer somewhat, but when my girlfriend is gone (she is only in the weekend here) i split my sofa in 3 pieces and I pull away the left and right side. So nothing is between me and my speakers.

My room dimensions are
- 12 M length
- 5.30 M deep
- 2.60 M high

- speakers are placed somewhat in the middle of the wall, so no side walls nearby. 

The middle from the left speaker to the middle of the right speaker is 3.10 M
The middle of the speaker is 45CM from the wall.
My listening position is 3.50 M to my speaker
The backwall is 1.20M behind my position

What I would like to improve with the sound is a bit more energy in the bass.
I'm not a basshead, but a bit more bass and more detailed / punchy would be apriciated.
Also a bit better soundstage would be great.
Now I hear the voice in the middle and from the left and right speakers most of the time. 
Maybe I'm wishing for something that is not possible in my situation, but I would love to see the speakers dissappear a bit more. A bit more realistic soundstage.

My system :
- Cornwall 4
- Melody MDA2 (2A3 tubes)
- Cambridge CXN V2 (streamer)
- Audioquest type 4 (speakercables)
- Taralabs (interlink)

@Shakeydeal thank you for sharing this. 

This is also what I have noticed when my speakers are placed against the wall. 

How they are now, moved away from the wall, is improving the overall sound quality indead. 

14 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

We might could help more if you care to provide us with pictures of your setup/room otherwise its like we are working in the blind and deaf as well as we are not able to hear what you experience while we are giving our recommendations… 😄

miketn

@Flevoman   Pictures would provide us with much more information about what you are working with and then we might be able to offer better ideas/suggestions for you. 

I understand some people might prefer not to share pictures for various reasons and thats OK but I’m not sure how to try to help you more without more details that pictures would provide us.

I do hope you reach your goals for improvement.

miketn🙂

• Like 1

@Flevoman Have you tried moving the speakers closer together to see if you can find a (coupling between the speakers) that might bring out a more favorable bass and mid bass response in your room/setup…?  

You definitely have a large space and I assume you want to keep the loudspeakers on the 12M wall otherwise it might be worth trying the loudspeakers on the 5.3M wall as another option to bring them closer to the sidewall/corner boundaries which might give you more bass level.

miketn

• Like 2

@mikebse2a3 thx for your input.

What I have tried so far 

- speakers flat against the wall 

Towed in and facing straight forward. 

- speakers away from the wall 

X-line behind my head, x-line in front of me.. X-line on the listening spot (how it is right now) 

Unfortunately because how my room is its not possible to place the speakers on a short wall (the pictures will show what I mean) 

Also, although I'm willing to do a lot for the best sound quality, it's also a livingroom. 

So there have to be some kind of balans between my audio hobby and a nice looking livingroom 😉

So the WAF factor without any wife in sight  .. How about that 😄

Still doubting about a good sub.. 

Maybe in the future, but not for now. 

One more thing. 

Just for the info, no need to discus it now. 

But what I have in mind to do first is room acoustic. 

For now I'm searching for all the info that is needed. 

I will keep it easy, not going to work with microphones, programs, etc. 

Probably it will be something on the back wall and perhaps something on the ceiling. 

Although I don't believe that cables will make any improvement. 

Still I want to give it a chance. 

My hifi dealer is convinced that this can give me a noticeable improvement and if I skip this step it can hinder my future setup improvements. So they will make an offer with speakercables, interlink, filter,power cord,  etc.. 

If there is an inprovemwnt, perfect.. I buy the whole package.

If not, I keep what I have now and will probably upgrade in the near future my tubeamp. 

@Flevoman how many watts delivers your Melody MDA2 (2A3 tubes) amp? Not to open a new and different discussion but I can say from experience that a fully horn loaded system like the Khorn can sing with such a low powered ( I assume) amp. If I compare my 245 litres Tannoy bass reflex cabinet with your CW4 they have in common that they have good sensitivity. But both speakers need high current to control the bass. Tannoy recommends minimum 50 watts, better 100 or 150 watts. We had other threads here with the same topic regarding the CW4. Adding to this respect that you have a huge listening room I would start to try another power amp which your dealer could borrow you.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Flevoman said:

My hifi dealer is convinced that this can give me a noticeable improvement and if I skip this step it can hinder my future setup improvements. So they will make an offer with speakercables, interlink, filter,power cord,  etc.. 

this won´t solve your issues at all

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Flevoman said:

If not, I keep what I have now and will probably upgrade in the near future my tubeamp. 

The Melody 2A3 Amp looks very nice…!

Do you have the Cornwalls on the 4 ohm tap..? This would probably give you a better match in the low frequencies with the Cornwalls.

If the dealer will let you try other amplifiers I would definitely try other options with more power either in Tube or solid state versions.

miketn

• Like 2

@KT88 I'm very happy with this amp.

And indeed it was a nice stepup compared to my Dynaco ST70. 

But I have heard the Melody everest. 

And I liked what I've heard a lot 

But the cost of that tube amp.. Insane. 

They have an occasion for sale now, but still... 

But perhaps I go for the Melody Everest as an upgrade. 

https://www.atube-highfidelity.nl/product/melody-audio/

@MicroMara no, I agree on you. 

But because this hifidealer is helping me a lot, I want to give them the benefit of the doubt. 

In the end, nothing wrong with giving it a chance 😉

@mikebse2a3no, on the 8 ohm tab. 

Can I try it also on the 4ohm tab without damaging anything? 

Maybe in the future I will also go for a SS amp next to my tube amp. 

And no, it is not a PP system. 

It is in class A.. 

I forgot how this system is called its not SET and not PP. 

Maybe someone else know how this type of amp system is called? 

Edit : I think its called paralel single ended 

52 minutes ago, Flevoman said:

Can I try it also on the 4ohm tab without damaging anything? 

Maybe in the future I will also go for a SS amp next to my tube amp. 

And no, it is not a PP system. 

It is in class A.. 

I forgot how this system is called its not SET and not PP. 

Maybe someone else know how this type of amp system is called? 

The review assumes PP design and I own a Cary CAD 2A3i PP amplifier rated at about the same wattage. I doubt a Parallel SE 2A3 amplifier could produce 13 watts but I stand to be corrected.

https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/amplifier-reviews/integrated-amplifier-reviews/melody-action-ultra-mda2-and-everest-211/2/

I see no reason why you shouldn’t be able to try the 4 ohm tap since the Cornwall lV dips to 4 ohms in the bass region. I believe you will find the tonal balance will shift somewhat toward the bass but you might have a little less maximum volume.

https://osirisaudio.de/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Stereoplay-Klipsch-Cornwall-Mk-4-stereoplay-2020-02_lowresTT-Standlautsprecher_pdf.pdf

2C4E0890-A9F5-4485-8581-DC827F465783.thumb.jpeg.a88d7ffeea35ee2ce99caa713714f6ad.jpeg

• Like 3

Well, let me be clear that I don't know anything about tubeamps 😄

But I had the same discussion with my hifi dealer.. 

With the demo of the MDA2 they told me it was not a PP. 

Back home I saw on the internet it was a PP. 

A conversation between my hifi dealer and the Melody dealer started and this is what they explained to me, not a PP but a paralel single ended class A, the information on the website was not correct they said. 

Anyway, the truth is that I don't know what's correct. 

Maybe it is a PP system, maybe not.. 

But its is sounding better then the ST70 for sure 😉

Going to give the 4ohm tab a try. 

I'm curious what I will hear. 

Thank you for this tip