Looking for some tips for my CW4

Flevoman

On 12/30/2022 at 5:38 PM, Shakeydeal said:

Move them out from the wall. Start with 1 ft., but 2 is better.

THIS.

Yes; corner and wall placement will increase bass response.

But for you there is a trade-off: bass vs. that holographic image you seek.

Even if you don't have the room to permanently place your Cornwalls away from the wall, try moving them a foot at a time just to see if you notice any changes, good or bad. It's a fun experiment, and it's how we learn.

• Like 1

I just want to add my two cents and not interfere. Just as a little idea because you live in Holland. I am using an old Quad 306 power amp after 20 years of Mcintosh C22CE with MC275MK4 and I must say that I am overwhelmed how good it is. (I put in new electrolytic caps). Actually I just wanted to try it out for fun because I had it 35 years ago....and it has been my daily amp since February 2022 so much I like it (but the mcintosh stay too). 
Now the 306 had a big brother I'm considering buying, the Quad 606 (better the Mk2 version). Exactly the same circuit but more steam, 2x 140 watt at 8 ohm. There are often good deals in Holland for about 450€. I know that you can afford more expensive equipment Flevoman but it was just an idea...so good it sounds.

http://www.hi-fi-insight.com/quad-606-power-amplifier.html

@KT88 thank you for this tip.

Just curious, what have Holland to do with it? 

But I took a peek at Marktplaats (just like Ebay) and there are a some for sale. 

I will keep it in mind 👍🏻

@Shakeydeal I have pulled the speakers a bit further in to the livingroom last night.

And because of this also moved the sofa more to the backwalll. 

The center of the speaker to the wall is now 2 feet. 

Again not sure, but it feels like there is more air in the music. Stereo image seems to be the same though. Voices are still not pin point precise like I had with the Heresy's 2. 

But this is my first impression. It was getting late last night. 

Here are some photos I just took how my livingroom. Is atm. 

Like I said, speakers are further in to the livingroom now. 

Sofa is more to the back wall. 

I'm curious if you can see anything what can improve the sound. 

I think I've tried everything now. 

What can perhaps give some improvement is to place some absorbtion material or a defusers on the back wall. Looking in to that now. 

And perhaps, if I can find something that is also good looking, some damping on the ceiling.

20230107_084308.jpg

Photo is taken exactly where my head is when listening 

Keep in mind that the right and left side of the sofa is pulled away when I'm alone again 

• Like 1

@Flevoman

I mentioned this because we are in an American forum and there Quad is a rare exotic. But a lot of used units are in the market in Holland and Belgium, also to Italy. I bought Quad gear from Italy, the Netherlands and Gent. All very nice people. In Germany, the used prices for Quad equipment are sometimes 30% to 40% higher than in your country. UK is completely out as a used market because of the Brexit with enormous customs, tax and shipping prices (VAT comes on top after customs and shipping).

If you are really interested in trying out an attractive alternative for little money, look also here:

hifishark.com

It is a meta search engine for the whole world, where also every "Marktplaats" ad appears. But also Ebay small regional ads and all small and large hifi ad sites.

About your photos, it should sound very good in your room. I do not want to impose myself, but just try it once with less angled speakers so that you can still see the inside well. I would start with half the angle between parallel and to your head, then just play with subtle nuances in and out. Also, I personally don't think you need to move them that far away from the speaker wall. I also would place them a small tad narrower on their line. Trying out is just part of the game. As I said before sometimes little changes can make them shine. Just my two cents.

@KT88 Ahh.. I see.

I didn't know it was an exotic brand. 

But your probably right about Holland because here in the Netherlands there are a few for sale. 

Nice people?. Of course!!.. Typical Dutch 😜

I know hifishark. 

Will never use it for buying my gear, I want to see it before I buy something. But I use it as an price indicator. 

But for now I won't do anything with a SS amp. 

First I want to be 100% happy with my tube amp before I start to search for an SS amp. 

Thank you anyway for this advise. 

About the speakers, I had them already moved back to the wall. 

That far in to the livingroom was no good for several reasons. 

I didn't liked the look of it. 

They where blocking my path somewhat, also more risk to damage a speaker because of that. 

And also, I've noticed when I move my sofa more to the backwall the bass is increasing. But not in a positive way. It's getting more boomy. 

So, they are back where they where before.. 1 feet away from the wall. 

Have tried all combinations now and I think I prefer this setup the most 

• Like 2

@Flevoman Thanks for the pictures and your room/space is beautiful…!!!

The pictures really help me to understand your situation and some of the acoustic nature of your setup/room that you are working with. It seems you have explored all the options of loudspeaker and listener locations and reached the best configuration for your situation.

I’m curious if you tried the 4-ohm tap of your amplifier and what you experienced if so?

As far as any other options (not in any order of priority) that come to my mind would be:

(1) Different Amplifiers to explore any better synergy with the Cornwall lV as used in your unique situation.

(2) Integration of a Subwoofer(s) to give more control of the LF Response in your space which would allow Bass Level and Tonal Balance adjustments to your system.

(3) I’ll also mention some form of EQ adjustments in the system which I have available for example in my McIntosh C50 preamplifier can be of value not only for certain room/setup situations but also for the dramatically variable Recordings that we live with continuously in the real world.

Definitely keep us updated as I have found this very interesting as you explore your options.

miketn 🙂

Example of an excellent recording program equalizer IMHO 

4341C5B7-9470-484B-B3DB-693512A67010.thumb.jpeg.444e628f1f953af98ba768494c4c2801.jpeg

@mikebse2a3 thank you for the compliment. Still work in progres , but thx.

Yes, I have tried the 4 ohm tab. 

To be honest, it was hard to hear any difference. 

I had the feeling there was a bit more bass, but I had the idea the music was a bit dull. 

I'm talking about nuances, but this is what I thought I could hear. So back to 8ohm 😉

I'm testing the speakers now while they are 40cm closer to each other. This is the last option I haven't tried yet. 

I think I prefer how it was before, a bit wider. It gave a tiny bit more air between the instruments and singer. 

So probably tomorrow the speakers will be back how they where and then I will give the 4ohm tab another try. I haven't tried it with the "wider/normal" set up 

Thank you for the tips you gave me. 

Right now I want to stick to adjusting the speakers, perhaps use some damping or defusers. 

And in the near future (month or 2) decide if I keep this amp or going for an upgrade. 

• Like 1