Anyone use Heritage speakers for partying?

Bhai

So I have Cornwalls in my bedroom that I use as my 'listening room', with proper listening position, superb imaging and all that. And I love it so much that I want to get another Heritage speaker for my living room.

But I started to wonder - does it really make sense to use such high end speakers for social gatherings and parties? The main thing that I think goes missing is the imaging - apart from the main spot, imaging isn't too great.. So for most people, and even as you move through the space - imaging won't be great. You can't really visualise the live performance..

The realism and the dynamic nature of the sound still remains I guess. But imaging is maybe half the fun?

Very curious to hear whether you guys use Heritage speakers only for serious listening or even in social contexts!

Cornwall IV are now showing up on the used market for around 4k$ ,  also keep an eye out , for  a used set of Lascala II  , same price point 4k to 4500$  , you can also find deals on khorns used 80's between  3-4k$ 

Had the Jubilee's playing in the living room while we were having dinner (wife, her sister & Bro in law & myself).  Had 5 disks in CD changer and BOTH my wife and her sister made a comment (NEITHER of them like this "teenager speaker stuff" so you get an idea of their perspective)

Eating & chatting and then sister in law just blurted out  "OMG, that sounds SOOOO good in there, it sounds like she's actually in there singing for real"

You didn't say what kind of party, so I'd answer that with a 'yes' I do/have.

I just posted in the Lounge about DJing a dance with friends a few weeks ago.  Used my 5 Heresys.  Sounded fantastic.

I think it’s safe to say that probably lowest on the list of someone at a social gathering or party is how well the speakers are imaging.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Peter P. said:

People aren't listening critically, or focusing on the music at all, at parties.

In a sense I believe you are correct...  but on a certain level they are hearing better and it is telling them how great it sounds..

To quote one of the article I mentioned...

"This immersive soundfield quality, scale and dynamics of Klipschorns along with their ability to be tucked into corners no doubt contributed to David Mancuso using them in the ‘70s when he launched his world famous Loft parties as mentioned by Evans (if you’ve not been exposed to these legendary get togethers, a great introduction is the 1999 4xLP box set curated by Mancuso and cohort Colleen Murphy available HERE). Klipschorn afforded more dance floor space and their inclusion in the signal path speaks to how far Klipsch’s design migrated through, and cross-pollinated listening styles since their introduction. To go from ‘40s American home-furniture behemoth to disco infiltrator in 30 years is demonstrative of how K-horns became internationally recognized for their musical abilities from one generation to the next. Mancuso’s parties continue today amid strict fealty to the original aesthetic – still using Klipschorn."

Hahaha I seem to have panicked a lot of Heritage owners 😂 This 'party' I'm talking about is usually with very close friends / family - smaller gatherings of say 8-10 people. There is drinking and dancing involved but I am not at all worried about my speaker getting destroyed haha, they all know how much I value them!

In the past I have used some basic portable speakers for such events. This time I have moved my Cornwalls out into the living room for a NYE party. I was just testing them and imaging how they would sound in the party from different spots in the room, when I realised how quickly the imaging goes to hell.. I'm able to achieve proper imagine literally just in the seating position, it disappears even if I stand up it seems.. Is this just how it is? Are you guys able to achieve good imaging in a wider range of locations? I might start another thread for diving deeper into this.

Anyway - I guess you guys are right, who cares about imaging in a party... I have a feeling the party will be much more fun this time because of the speakers, but will let you guys know how it goes! 😁

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Peter P. said:

People aren't listening critically, or focusing on the music at all, at parties.

Just be sure no one rests their drink on your speakers. 😉

Wait a minute. If no one does this how can you have the ubiquitous klipsch drink rings for the next Craigslist buyer. They will be expecting this…….😁

• Haha 1

If most of the partygoers are standing around, they’ll probably never notice the imaging.  A friend of mine asked me about getting some speakers and asked for my advice.  She said she wanted the speakers to fill the roof m with music.  I thought that Heritage Series speakers weren’t made to do that, so the shop suggested a pair of direct-firing speakers, and I agreed.

My La Scalas do not fill my home with sound, and I’m happy about that.  They can be loud in front of them, and barely audible in the next room, which suits me just fine.

Party was so much fun guys! I don't know why I had so many doubts before 😂

Yeah imaging was out of the question.. But just the beauty of the sound and the ability to play loud changed the whole game..

Big success! 

• Like 1