WOW...

geezin'

I picked up a pair of 1979 Heresy 1 a few weeks ago. Was driving them with my Topping PA3s and began to understand why everyone says they've no bass. I could hear it clear but there was no body to it. Crisp and clear-no presence. A Klipsch KG SW sub became available here. Figured  that would cover it and I'm sure it will.

Also spent the past few weeks on placement and got it where I was OK with soundstage...OK maybe a little disappointed. So I began looking at amplifiers. Torn between Yamaha A-S801 and Schiit Vidar. In the end the cost between would be similar 'cause I'd need a pre for the Vidar.

Last night I was sitting around and decided to bring my Fisher 440T out from the bedroom system and see how they sounded when paired with the old Fisher. The 440T is the reason I sought vintage Heresy anyways. Oh my! They have come alive....bass....soundstage gained height width and depth. And the overall  sound is much improved. Lost some way high detail and there's a hiss but it's minor and only audible when nothing is playing so I can deal with it. For now. Kinda like going to a concert and the PA set up has some hiss. And all this is through a cheap Logitech bluetooth adapter which I'm sure isn't the best audio path. I'm still going to pick up the sub 'cause I want a passive sub that will extend the range but not one made more for HT.

I'm beginning to understand synergistic pairings. Now what to do for the bedroom......

• Like 6

On 1/1/2023 at 4:15 PM, geezin' said:

The 440T is the reason I sought vintage Heresy anyways. Oh my! They have come alive....bass....soundstage gained height width and depth.

I can confirm that some pairings really hit the sweet spot! I drive my 1972 Heresy set with a Leben Hifi CS300 tube amp, which is 12 wpc. This amp has a knob to increase the lows with +3dB and +5dB. I leave it standard at +3dB. The lows are rich and full, sometimes there is too much bass at +3dB! My speakers are flat on the ground, no risers, as they were originally supposed to be placed.

• Like 1

Like that you know what most of us here do. That it's more than just "These Speakers can't do x or x"

After my RX1100 (no add on letters or anything else) I kind of soured on Yah when looking at just their thd specs. I know more now but they changed what and how their stuff works.

I've also become a fan of Schiit the last couple years. Sturdy like tanks and great sound without disappointment!

I decoupled my H IIs with plywood/foam 2" thick thirty years later and it improved the bass where I had them.

Heresys don’t have a ton of bass but the bass they have is very accurate and well-defined.  When I DJed a dance a few weeks ago I used all five of my Heresys and had my Sony receiver set to All Channel Stereo and the bass turned to +3 for each speaker.  They sounded fantastic and even in the very large venue we were at the bass was more than adequate.

• Like 3

Carver is a popular brand with enthusiasts, and I ran my Fortes for years with the 120wpc version - when I swapped it out for the 185-wpc McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe, it was as though I was hearing them for the first time.  I had a live soundstage and tremendous bass, the likes of which I did not know the Fortes were capable. 
One important note, however: the 2-channel pre-amp I was running my sources through - same brand as my amp - had a lot to do with the clarity and realism; I haven’t heard quite that level of detail since I began using a HT processor as a pre-amp - close, but not quite.

21 minutes ago, chuckears said:

Carver is a popular brand with enthusiasts, and I ran my Fortes for years with the 120wpc version - when I swapped it out for the 185-wpc McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe, it was as though I was hearing them for the first time.  I had a live soundstage and tremendous bass, the likes of which I did not know the Fortes were capable. 
One important note, however: the 2-channel pre-amp I was running my sources through - same brand as my amp - had a lot to do with the clarity and realism; I haven’t heard quite that level of detail since I began using a HT processor as a pre-amp - close, but not quite.

The DNA deluxe was an awesome amp.

10 hours ago, chuckears said:

HT stuff just ain't for 2 CH

• Like 1

It gets better. Bought a Wiim Mini streamer. Running it through my Schiit Modi 3+ into the Fisher. Dayum. A significant improvement over my iMac. I knew it would get better 'cause the Mac is only good for 96/24 and the streamer is good for 192/24. Really didn't think it would be as big a move but it is. Sat down to listen to a song and didn't get up for an hour and a half. Oh and the hiss is gone too. :D

Now to figure out why the turntable has begun making noise. Never ends does it?

Cannot wait to get the sub.

On 1/1/2023 at 2:24 PM, wuzzzer said:

Heresys don’t have a ton of (low)bass but the bass they have is very accurate and well-defined.  

I feel the same way.  Thumping, fast, coherent midbass.

Any integrated amp, pre-amp/amp, receiver I have used to drive my Heresys and Heresy IIs in my rooms have brought out their strengths in spades.  Yes some better than others but overall very nice combos.

Bill