Did Heresy 1 use acoustic gasket (foam tape) to seal the rear panel?

Dave MacKay

I’m refurbishing a pair of 1983 Heresy speakers that I bought a few weeks ago. I was surprised to find no evidence of any acoustic gasket between the removable rear panel and the speaker carcass. On my La Scalas, an acoustic gasket (foam tape) is used to seal the woofer access panel.

Did the Heresy 1 have acoustic gasket on the rear panel? Or was it not necessary?

2 hours ago, geezin' said:

Might get around to sealing it,might not. 

If you decide to do it, you’ll want to use a thin gasket. I was able to use 3/16” thick foam tape but it required a lot of force to get the rear panel to sit flush. I plan to get some 1/8” thick tape and re-do it.

I too use very thin closed cell foam tape.  I’m not able to discern any difference.  Apparently, as Klipsch said, it’s sealed enough without a gasket.

As PWK frequently said, “Doesn’t make a dime’s bit of difference.”  Nonetheless, it makes me feel better and it couldn’t hurt.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, geezin' said:

Were you able to hear a significant difference? And thanks for the tip.

Too soon to tell, but my initial impression is that I couldn’t hear any difference.

I didn’t think to take measurements with REW before and after to see if there was a measureable change.