New forumer presentation (with a question)

niki

Here you are. I live near Rome. The seller told me he was the second owner; don't know if it is true, but he gave me the owner information packet, I think it's quite rare for a pair of speakers of the seventies...

20230103_000356.jpg

Edited by niki
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, henry4841 said:

What are you driving them with. I see the gear and was wondering. 

Is a home made system based on Jean Hiraga Class A (power amplifier) and Kaneda preamplifier with integrated phono stage (mm). Than I use a battery prepre (Hiraga) or a fidelity research xf1. The analog source is a Garrard 401 with Micrro Seiki MA 505 arm and a Lyra Kleos sl, and cd is a modded Revox b226 (zero oversamplig, clock, separate power and so on...)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Islander said:

A fine pair of speakers, in fine “Khorn corners”.  Very nice.

Welcome to the Forum, Domenico!

Thanks a lot, I made the work last summer; before I had the kitchen there and the right corner has a window 1 meter from the corner (I put a heavy tent that I close when listening). I had to change everything to accomodate the khorn but, finally, I was right😀

Edited by niki
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, niki said:

Is a home made system based on Jean Hiraga Class A (power amplifier) and Kaneda preamplifier with integrated phono stage (mm). Than I use a battery prepre (Hiraga) or a fidelity research xf1. The analog source is a Garrard 401 with Micrro Seiki MA 505 arm and a Lyra Kleos sl, and cd is a modded Revox b226 (zero oversamplig, clock, separate power and so on...)

My kind of guy, a diy'er like myself. 

10 hours ago, KT88 said:

Welcome to the Forum, Domenico, congrats to your vintage Khorns, you have a very nice system and your gear as you describe it must sound very good together with the Khorns in your lovely room. 

Thanks 

I have one question: I'm trying to extend the hf response of my horn with dave's smahl (I bought them but I'm still waiting by a long time...) and I'd like to know if I could improve also bass and squawker changing my square k33 with new one I can buy from crites and a new driver for the medium horn like the 55g (even this from crites). What do you think?

13 hours ago, niki said:

I'd like to know if I could improve  

you do NOT  improve klipsch speakers by using off specs Aftermarket parts , it's the total opposite ,  if you want to ameliorate the sound of your klipsch speakers , you can buy the Original components ,,,,,,,,New K-33E  /K-55 X , from klipsch Parts , however you will have to ship these to a Forum member in the USA , and that person will then ship these to you overseas , since klipsch  USA do not ship  parts out of the USA 

Congrats on your acquistion!

You are aware of the little known rule (Rule: 39472.40378343.subset,3094823 DASH 1)

Stipulates any new owner of Khorns has to host a listening party.....  when do we arrive?

Just ask any of the guys....  they'll all back me up!  (don't ask any of the gals, they're very bad at telling lies)  :emotion-14:

12 hours ago, Coytee said:

Congrats on your acquistion!

You are aware of the little known rule (Rule: 39472.40378343.subset,3094823 DASH 1)

Stipulates any new owner of Khorns has to host a listening party.....  when do we arrive?

Just ask any of the guys....  they'll all back me up!  (don't ask any of the gals, they're very bad at telling lies)  :emotion-14:

Don't know how far we are, but when you're coming and see Rome, for sure you're welcome to see how I've accomodate those old ladies

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, OO1 said:

you do NOT  improve klipsch speakers by using off specs Aftermarket parts , it's the total opposite ,  if you want to ameliorate the sound of your klipsch speakers , you can buy the Original components ,,,,,,,,New K-33E  /K-55 X , from klipsch Parts , however you will have to ship these to a Forum member in the USA , and that person will then ship these to you overseas , since klipsch  USA do not ship  parts out of the USA 

Thanks. I don't really want to improvvisamente by changing the characteristics of the speakers, but I think that after 50 years something could have gone out of specifics.

I'd like to take parts directly from klipsch, but if they don't sell outsider US it's definitely more simile buy from crites or someone else.

Even Dave A doesn't send his tw outside US.

• Like 1

Normally, only the crossover capacitors and maybe the tweeters need to be replaced after 50 years.  Maybe the K-55 squawker gaskets between the drivers and the horns also need to be replaced, but that’s about it.  They’re a flat ring, and you need two, one for each speaker.  When they they get old, they can dry out and spread into the path of the sound.  

If you want more bass, the best way to get it is wth a subwoofer (or two).  That avoids modifying your excellent Khorns, and makes the amount of bass adjustable, to suit your room and your taste.  Just be sure to get powerful subs, so they can respond to bass signals as quickly and dynamically as the Klipschorns.