Jubilee Bass Cabinets

Westerml

Also...  in the beginning, you could have any color you wanted, as long as it was black.  Later on, Roy was able to swap the front panel out for a "beauty panel" which is what yours appears to have.  

Slow step by step process of trying to take a black, industrial speaker to a more aesthetic looking speaker for those who care (I don't mind the black).  Now you can get the full beauty speaker AND the better enhanced sound....  but it comes at a cost.

How's this sound....  you buy me a new pair of Heritage Jubilee's, I'll give you my Undergrounders, you will then have three for across the front!!  Heck, I might even throw in the three TAD drivers I have!

Sounds like a great deal to (for?) me!!  :emotion-14:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, MEH Synergy said:

You will NOT find another single for sale

If there wasn't currently an opportunity to purchase a single, I would agree, however, considering the serial number and style, I would have to say that there is a single or match out there for this one.  How long would it take to find.... That there lies the question.   If I couldn't get out of the sale, i would beg Klipsch to try and help find me a mate. 

So, I continue to get to know you folks which is great. Do to my recent “honeymoon” with my new found Klipsch excitement I may be taking things a little to seriously…and needless to say, spinning in circles…:). I do love my music. Soooo,

As I listen to my K402’s with K1132 Drivers on top of my LaScalas and Yorkville UCS 15 Horn sub; Dialed in on my DBX Driverack based on some settings (I think) Roy generated a while back; and the mapping of same settings  @Chris A sent me for my XILICA that I have not tried yet, I am taking a deep breath. I am sure many of you are glad about this. The relationships I am building and the quality folks on this forum are unmatched. @Coytee no deal at this time to buy you a pair of new Heritage…but never say never…:). 

On My List I will never complete I am adding; 1. Fit in a listen on my JubScalas today. Just fired up the tubes for the day. 2. Take further steps to understand and ring out my room with a balance of measurement and listening. 3. Try my 942/4 cabinet (whenever). While no jubilee horn I am learning that it is a good cabinet. I have a torn speaker cone that happened in shipping I need to address. Damaged 15 is a K-45-EP. No big deal (I hope I can get from Hope). I understand that at a Jub fest a while back this cabinet and K402 held up pretty well against the, UG…and some actually preferred it. And yes I want a total Horn system. I had written off these 942 bass cabs with unfounded bias of “it ain’t a horn”. We shall see. 4. Take a walk and smell the preverbal roses.

Sincerest thanks to all for the help. Have a Super Day!

Mike

PS- I know my current DSP settings are not for the K1132 and for K691 (I think) aka BC75 but it sounds pretty good but needs work…:). 

25 minutes ago, Westerml said:

K402’s with K1132 Drivers on top of my LaScalas and Yorkville UCS 15 Horn sub

I missed this if it was said previously.  So you already have some LaScalas AND you already have a pair of K402's.  I'm not familiar with the Yorkville sub but, you did say it was horn loaded.

I'd say you are perhaps within the same sonic realm of the Jubilee's at a fraction of the price (thank you LaScalas).  I wonder if you might be better off fine tuning what you have (change out 1132 for a TAD or, me not knowing anything about them, the new driver on the Heritage Jube's)

let me reword it a bit....and again, just my thoughts & opinions...

If you are starting from NOTHING and can't (or don't want to) afford the Underground or Heritage Jubilee, then I'd suggest to you that they way to get 90% of that sound is doing exactly what  you've done.  LaScala bass bin, K402 on top (different driver maybe??) and a horn subwoofer.

I wonder that Mr. Pat might think?  @Islander

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Westerml said:

So, I continue to get to know you folks which is great.

Don't get too carried away.....  in real life, we're all jackaszes....   just ask our wives...   

(welcome to the club??)  lol

677544[1].gif

Thanks @Coytee  for the “therapy”. And your voice of reason. I will see how long it sticks. 

It’s a great sounding system. The Yorkville sub does not go super low but it is very nice. Super fast and a good match with the LaScala’s. Albeit only 1 sub. I await my Celestion axi2050’s that are said to move “in the next few days” but we shall see. It seems those who have TAD’s keep them. Must sound great. I am enjoying the K1132 drivers with a really good sound stage…hope I don’t lose that with 2050’s. I really do have to try my 942 cabinets and told I will not be disappointed. But I love that LaScala bass…:). There is no doubt I have a high class problem…. At least from my current view and in some circles of “class” rating….. :)  but not even close to many on this site. 

Most importantly, i just think the Jubilees look cool…:).

• Like 1

I just looked up the Ebay listing.

$3,500 for the bass bin alone?  (I had presumed it was a single speaker, guess I need to adjust my glasses because the thread title clearly states bass bin)

Anyway.... that makes me cringe a bit.  The reason is, "back when I bought mine" (and this certainly might not be a fair way to compare)....  none the less, as I recall, I paid $6,000 for two bass cabinets and two K402's....  two complete speakers.  The 'beauty panel' as I understand, added on roughly $100/$200 (per bin or total, I don't know)

Using the Golden Jubilee's as a reference, seems he's price gouging on those BUT....  there is a story behind them (for better or worse) and as I understand they ARE one of only two pair made under the conditions they were made.....  but this one doesn't suffer that exclusivity benefit.

This one was available to anyone who wanted to fork out the cash for one.

From a selling perspective, I love it....  but buying it, I'd really want to stop/ask....  where's the rest of it?  (the K402).  I'd almost bet that after the bass bin is sold, they relist the K402 (or have maybe already done that....or to be fair to them....  might be keeping it)

This does make me wince.  (just being honest).  I'd go back to my you already have a JubeScala setup.....  fine tune that and maybe call it a day.

• Like 1

Sorry, I didn't realize you already had the top sections and were into DSP and all.  Heck that sort of changes everything.  If you can hang onto that bass bin and find another it would be worth the wait.

I also agree with Rigma that a Jub can make a nice center channel...............or a mono setup until the second bass bin shows up.

Let face it, if you had both bass bins and both top sections but had no idea how to setup and run..........I think you'd be worse off.  Understanding how to properly setup and dial in underground Jubilees is 80% of it.  Heck you are already there.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MEH Synergy said:

You will NOT find another single for sale. 

Actually, there are lots of the originals, as they WERE sold in the commercial theater market. They will come up for sale some day.

• Like 2

Westerml, welcome to the Forum!  Since I have a JubScala system, and one that has evolved through several configurations, that’s probably why Coytee mentioned me.  He’s been helpful to me from soon after I joined the Forum, which was around a month after I bought my La Scalas.  He’s also been friendly, to the point of inviting me to hear his Jubilees whenever I’m in his area.  I haven’t made it so far, since it’s so far away, but it was a great offer, and I’d like to take him up on it one day.  So when I call Coytee a bonehead, it’s because it’s a collective term that Roy, I believe, first started using to describe us mad Jubilee, and later JubScala, fans.  So here’s the story:

Coytee, that bonehead (we’re all boneheads here, but not in the same league as Chief bonehead), proposed the JubScala to Roy, as a lower-profile centre speaker between a pair of original/Underground/Pro Theater line Jubilees, sometime around 2005.  Coytee should know the exact year.  Roy considered it, and after about a year he put one together and did the testing on it.  He liked what he heard and saw, and provided the E-V Dx38 audio processor settings that he had settled on to Coytee and the rest of us.

That made the JubScala possible and even somewhat available.  At this point, maybe I should mention that the “Jub” part of the name is a short “u”, maybe like Bart Simpson’s aunt’s lizard JubJub, not like a long “u”, like Joob.  That’s how it sounds in my head, anyway.

I didn’t, and still don’t, have enough space in my place for the Jubilee  bass bins.  The left one in particular would have partially blocked the light coming into the living room.  For this reason, and because I naively thought that it would be much cheaper, I set my sights on assembling a pair of JubScalas.

After all, how much could it cost?  I already had a pair of old La Scalas and a high end amplifier (a Yamaha MX-D1), so I just needed a second matching amplifier (it is essential to match the sound quality of the two amplifiers, but the power output can be different.  This does add the issue of gain matching between the amps, though), a sound processor, with the Dx38 being preferred, because it’s what Roy used to develop it, so his settings can be simply punched in, with no issues.  So that was amp, processor, and tweeter horns and drivers.

This was just a maybe someday idea, until a Forum member in Seattle offered me a matching power amp, and a member in Tennessee advertised a pair of K501 horns with K-69-A drivers for sale.  These were starting to look like omens, so I looked for a Dx38, and within an hour or so, I found a Guitar Center in California that had two or three used Dx38 processors for sale.  

Well, it had to be Fate, so I bought the amp, one of those Dxes, and the K501/K-69-A combos.  Hmm, the price was starting to add up...  Anyway, I drove to Seattle and picked up the power amp, and before long the other parts arrived.  It took a couple of weeks before I got it dialled in, in spite of some help from Tennessee Mike.  His advice was somewhat above my level of comprehension, so in frustration, I called Pacific Audio Works, the main concert sound company in town, and asked them to send over a tech to help integrate the Dx38 into my home system, which nearly caused the guy to drop his phone.  He did send over a tech (the next day, I think) who got the system sorted within a couple of hours.  That was $120 well spent!

Of course, this “final solution” speaker setup eventually started hinting at upgrades, thanks to both my lusting after the higher end systems of some other Forum members, and the many enablers here, who love to help you spend your money.  It may be contagious, because I’ve become just as much of an enabler myself.  Five years after I got the JubScalas, a pair of La Scala IIs became available from another Forum member, not far away, and at a great price!  Now I had JubScala IIs!  They were a noticeable improvement in sound, and a very noticeable upgrade in appearance, going from plywood painted with black Valspar #? to Lacquered Walnut.  Selling the La Scalas might have been a hassle, plus now I had the chance to have a matching surround system.  Accordingly, the original La Scalas went behind and to the sides of the sofa and armchair, where their black paint was a benefit, since it made their bulk less noticeable.  They’re on 13”/32 cm risers, so they’re not being muffled by firing into the backs of the furniture.

What next?  Four years later, I drove to the mainland again, this time to pick up a pair of mint K402 horns.  That was a big upgrade, but then, just a couple of years later, a pair of K-691 tweeter drivers (the drivers that were being shipped with Jubilees at that point, in 2019) showed up on the Forum from a member in Texas.  A couple of phone calls later, they were on their way to me.  

So that’s the current configuration of the JubScala IIs.  They have La Scala II bass sections, with the HF cabinets still on top, but disconnected, and the big K402 horns on top of them, with the late-model K691 tweeter compression drivers.  And it sounds great!  

What I have now is a highly resolving system, with amazing detail retrieval, along with lifelike dynamics and the ability to play without strain at whatever volume level you might like, with almost immeasurable distortion.  That’s the audiophile description of the system, but in plain terms, it’s great sound that you can listen to all day.

The idea at first was to emulate the sound of the actual Jubilees, at a reduced cost.  Since I’ve never actually heard a pair of Jubilees, I don’t know how close they come, but I’m very happy with the results.  To use a metaphor, if reaching audio Nirvana is a long and steep climb, the system has landed on a plateau where we (me and the speakers) can look out and see how far we’ve come.  At the same time, climbing up from this high plateau gets into high expenses for little gain.  It’s at the point of diminishing returns, which is fine with me.

Of course, I have to give some of the credit to the subwoofers.  Back in 2020, I bought a pair of Paradigm Seismic 110 subwoofers, which fill in the bottom two or three octaves very accurately and powerfully.  I haven’t spent anything on stereo upgrades since then, after twelve years of steady upgrades, including various cables and a voltage adapter for the Dx38 to adapt its pro signal voltage to the lower home audio voltage of the rest of the system.  The years when no major components were bought didn’t mean that no money was spent, if you know what I mean.

And that’s how the system came to be in its current configuration, where it might remain, but no promises.

EDIT:  Just corrected all the typos (I must have been falling asleep) and added an opening paragraph.

• Like 5

What a great group. @tigerwoodKhorns and @justonemore I did cancel the deal. Actually, had a financial thing on my that killed my deal. Worked out for the best as I arrived at a similar conclusion (for now anyway) that @Islander stepped through so eloquently.  The seller of UJ is a good guy and it was a simple cancel. I would buy from him again for sure. Who knows what could happen with this.

i will say that my loss of this U-Jub bass bin is supported by the fact that my JubScala system really sounds good. Once I get it fully sorted out I will get some details on the forum for others.

Do I like the thought/idea of a (2)-12” Bass cabinet? Yes, but there is certainly nothing wrong with a LaScala 15” bass bin as most of us know. With the exception of some of the resonance issues. i.e. @Islander LaScala 2 solution I suspect. For now I just notch it at 148hz on my oldies. Also, while the new Jub Heritage with its ports can get low the UJ bass bin probably sounds best with sub(s). And that is certainly not criticism. Maybe UJ with good sub(s) sounds even better than ports. My LaScala 15” crossed at 50hz to my Yorkville UCS1P horn sub sounds good. The Yorkville does not go low enough (it’s for PA use) so that good be a logical change/pursuit to a good pair of horn loaded stereo subs.

Always learning. Great forum!

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justonemore said:

I think getting out of buying it was the right move. Seems like it would be almost impossible to find another one.

Why did he have only one?

I believe he picked it and the golden Jubilees up in a local auction from someone who was once a forum member and a former Klipsch dealer.   My guess is that the original owner ordered it for experimental purposes. 

@The Dude is correct on first part. The guy scored a bunch of Klipsch stuff and has been stepping through selling it. He did not know the what/why on this single Jub from what I recall of conversation. Maybe a center? I think he also said he had and sold another pair of jubilee bass bins that were unfinished (as far as finish). Maybe clones or earlier UJ’s. 

Edited by Westerml

35 minutes ago, Westerml said:

I think he also said he had and sold another pair of jubilee bass bins that were unfinished (as far as finish). Maybe clones or earlier UJ’s. 

If unfinished you mean raw wood, my guess is one of W.C.'s experimental UG bass bins.