Khorns - Signed by PWK in Brazilian mahogany !!!

Curmudgeon

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 1/15/2003 3:11:40 PM greg928s4 wrote:

Somebody please tell me how to get a photo on this text page instead of an attachement. I hate attachements and having to backtrack.

Greg

----------------

First you need to get your pictures up on a server. Most ISPs provide you with some space as part of your monthly service. Then you need some of these guys , ]] <[ located near your enter key. Your code should look like this, [ img >] http://www.someserver.com/yourpics/thepic.jpg <[ / img >]

When you type it in do not use these <<>>>. You want these ] [ and no spaces.

Well, I'm extremely tempted. I've wanted some great Klipsch speakers and do have some money set aside. This would be buying some history and the extra money would be worth it to me. I've been thinking about a two channel only system and these would cost less than the Vienna Mozarts I've been eyeing. They ARE the most beautiful Klipsch I've ever seen and I live within driving distance of San Jose. I'm tempted, my wife has said O.K.(she always does), but I've spent 15 to 20 K on tech and home theater toys this last year alone and I'm feeling very guilty about spending more, especially seeing that the spending would just begin a new cycle, what with a two channel preamp, amp, cables, turntable, CD player, etc. It would be a crime to match these speakers up with anything but the finest.

Still, this is a once in a lifetime deal.

Go for it, danbry39, there have been many times in my life when I have had an opportunity to buy a "signature item"... you know one that may not be signed, but one that is outstanding and rare. Like a copy of the newspaper that was printed by Ben Franklin that I had hermetically sealed in UV retarding glass and framed. Or how about the first 56lb cannon ball fired by the Union Army on the fort gaurding Atlanta in Sherman's March to the Sea... and there was only one cannon South of the Mason Dixon line that could fire it. Or a player baby grand made by Steinway! Actually, the list goes on and on... and many of the items are now treasured possessions of those I gave gifts... or those who broke in and stole them. 7.gif

In short, beautiful and memorable things that also function do not come along very often in most people's lives... and this pair of Klipschorns seem to be that kind of rarity. How long will you remember with awe your present speakers... how long would you remember these PWK signed beauties? Remember, this is a speaker designed that has stayed marketable for over half a century... and these certainly seem to be one of the finest pairs that I've seen come out of Hope. Further, how many speakers do you own that might be worth more ten years from now than they are today?

The nice thing about your wife saying "yes" all the time is that this time she is right! 12.gif =HornEd

PS: The auction has been CLOSED and the reserve wasn't met... check it out, danbry39 that may mean you have a chance to give them a good home... Frankly, I nearly made contact with the seller just because they were so special... and special things seem to be prone to get sidetracked before the auction goes full tilt. Sometimes it is because the owner doesn't like the pace of the aution... and that might be the case this time. Check it out!

Some very nice Brazilian ROSEWOOD...but it sure as hell isn't mahogany. I remember these being built when I worked there...but there ARE more than just this pair that PWK signed...matter of fact...there were NUMEROUS speakers PWK signed...just about every pair ever built for employees when I worked there were signed by PWK...including my heresys. Still...to see a pair show up on an ebay auction is quite a rarity!

Just so my fellow Klipschophiles can sleep at night, I had a room built for the Khorns, nice corners and a great solid wall, but sold the house and am now in an apartment, waiting for the kids to get out of school, so we can head for the tropics. Yes, the sound cannot not be duplicated unless they are in a corner and properly spaced

Thanks for the heads up on Rosewood. Verified, that they are very close to a Mahagony veener he almost picked.

Both speakers are signed by PWK.

----------------

On 1/16/2003 12:05:57 AM danbry39 wrote:

The seller contacted me and said he's relisting them at Ebay, this time with photos. Gave no indication as to how low he might be willing to go.

----------------

Given the interest here, and the fact that he's reading these posts, I doubt "low" is even in his vocabulary. Everyone is wondering how much they'll go for. I'm wondering how many pages we'll devote to discussing them! 6? 7? It's all fun...

fini