New Klipsch Owner/New Home Theatre Starter

Blue

Hello all! So a buddy of mine recently gifted me his SB1 - Black Klipsch system. 2 R/L, 1 Center, 1 Sub, and 2 Bookshelves. I just purchased a Denon AVR X3700H receiver and definitely want to build this system in the next year, especially when my wife lets me build my man cave, haha. Once that happens, I want to add more speakers obviously. 2 Atmos, 2 more surround front, and 2 more surround back if possible (goal is 9.1). Again this is all new to me, but I was told Denon could handle it so don't fry me if I'm way off on what I can add. Biggest question, and from what I've researched is it'll be ok, but can I add these speakers in the form of the newer Klipsch models, or would I be better served to get the usage out of the current setup I have, then go all in at a later time? Also, I want to run 14AWG to my surround speakers. Everywhere I read says 16, but I'm curious if 14 would be better since it offers less resistance. It will be less than 50 feet also. Thanks everyone for any advice. 

• Like 1

You have 5 speakers now and you want to add six more?  My math is showing 11 speakers going that route.  Your Denon can process 11 channels but only power 9, so you’ll need to get another amplifier and connect it to the Denon to power more than nine speakers.

I would listen to what you have right now and expand it as time goes on.

Anywhere from 12 to 16 gauge will work fine.

• Like 1

Yeah, my bad. If I did the 11, I'd get an amp, but I want to keep it at 9. I would sub the Atmos for the second pair of fronts. Wasn't paying attention to that sentence. Thanks for the heads up on the gauging. I bought svs 12's for the front and centers. Bought an Audioquest Vodka earc 48 (to future proof the setup) HDMI but was hung up on the surround speakers. Thanks again for the help. Good to know I can add newer speakers without worrying about sound issues. 

2 hours ago, Peter P. said:

The difference in resistance between 14 and 16 gauge wire at 50 ft. is an inconsequential 0.01 ohms.

Remember; if you're going to run the wires inside the walls, approved wiring must be used. It's a fire safety regulation.

Ahh, so basically, I won't hear any difference? Thanks again for the responses. And yes, all wiring I'm getting is wall rated. Thanks again. Great forum. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue said:

Ahh, so basically, I won't hear any difference? 

not so sure ,   quality has gone down  a lot with the  trash being sold as speaker wire these days , you  cant trust the label any longer ,   and with costs rising , the quality is reduced .

cies like klipsch use   Certified speaker wires to have consistent results   ,  so  thicker wire , say 12 gauge is ideal , put it this way , Pro installers  dont  buy the bare minimum ,   they go up a notch just  to be safe  .

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, OO1 said:

not so sure ,   quality has gone down  a lot with the  trash being sold as speaker wire these days , you  cant trust the label any longer ,   and with costs rising , the quality is reduced .

cies like klipsch use   Certified speaker wires to have consistent results   ,  so  thicker wire , say 12 gauge is ideal , put it this way , Pro installers  dont  buy the bare minimum ,   they go up a notch just  to be safe  .

I hear ya. I went with 12 AWG SVS, for the front left and right, and center. And 14 SVS for surround. Running Audioquest Vodka Earc 48 from receiver to tv. Also using SVS subwoofer cable instead of RCA. 

Just now, Blue said:

I hear ya. I went with 12 AWG SVS, for the front left and right, and center. And 14 SVS for surround. Running Audioquest Vodka Earc 48 from receiver to tv. Also using SVS subwoofer cable instead of RCA. 

excellent 

• Like 1

So 2 RP5000F 2 front speakers, 2 500SA Dolby Atmos speakers, and an RP404C center speaker are on the way. Again, I'll be moving my current SB1 fronts, to the surround side spot, and moving the current side speakers, to the surround back spot. This will complete my 9.1 setup. Looking forward to this. I watched Top Gun: Maverick and Transformers recently with just the SB1 5.1 setup, and was very impressed with what I heard. Also, a Klipsch customer support guy told me that the sound quality won't be too far off between the 2 different models. Absolutely loving this home theatre setup and can't believe I waited this long. Thanks again for all the input. I'll post pictures ASAP.