Klipschorn placement, need advice for possible purchase

jeff spicoli

I have a line on a pair of Klipschorns locally and I'm not sure they will work in my room.  The size of the room is 22'x16' and the side wall where id place them is 29 inches (see pucture). 

There is a lot of work to do if I go down this path. The speakers will go in the basement and the pool table will have to come out so I don't really want to half *** it

I have decent corners if I put the speakers on the long wall but I have read that setup is not ideal since the sweet spot will be a bit narrow20230105_184635.thumb.jpg.b3b90454eeeb3c36462ffec03a209102.jpg

Looks like you’ll have to move the records as well. Yes, a lot of work. But the khorns will be worth the effort. I don’t think your sweet spot will be that much different, it’s not going to be huge because you don’t have any flexibility with khorn positioning. You put them in the corners and you get what you get. The only thing you can experiment with is lateral placement of your listening seat.

Ideally I’d like to see your room another foot or two wider, but 16 ft will work. If this is the sound you are looking for, you should definitely go for it. On another note, even if khorns don’t ultimately do it for you, that pool table and those records still need to be moved if you want to turn that space into a dedicated two channel listening room with any other speakers.

• Like 3

If you're going to place them against the short wall, there will be some shortcomings as well as work if you can move that record case.

The left speaker won't have the suggested 4ft. minimum side wall so bass will be compromised. The record case on the right side

will partially block the bass opening of the right speaker.

Also, do you have a plan to elegantly and safely run a speaker wire past the door to the right speaker?

You might be better off placing the speakers against the long wall where the record case is, and breaking up the record case, placing sections at various locations

in the room.

• Like 1

These are all good suggestions and I really appreciate thd feedback. I do plan on moving the records into another room (my current 2 channel listening room) which is a bit smaller. 

Do you think if I put them on the long wall will I loose any benefits? I guess it's a situation where i give and take because if I put them on them on the short wall I will compromise the bass (the 29" side wall) and on the long wall the sweet spot will be compromised?? The wall on this image is 48" and this is the right hand side on the long wall

And there is the option of extending the 29" wall out a bit. The speaker wires arent an issue because the room is storage that we rarely use. Whatever I choose it's going to be a long drawn out process with moving stuff around and naming room.....dam I wish there was an easy button for this 

20230107_091028.jpg

• Like 1

First, awesome Down poster, huge fan here, seen them a few times with one meet and greet.   10 years after the meet and great met Pepper after a COC show at the same venue and he had no recollection of playing with Down there. I guess that's a give when playing 1000s of shows, drugs, and alcohol (he was pretty hammered at the moment as well).

Now back to the original program.   I'd give it a solid college try, yeah moving the pool table will be a huge pain in the @$$, so you need to decide what's more important, playing pool or the best sound system you can potentially have.

If the sound system is it, then I guarantee it will be worth it.  If you use the short wall, I'd opt to either build a false wall for the short wall or extend it.  The false wall allows experimenting without permanent changes.  Then onto the long wall, I thought somewhere it was noted that the long wall is preferred for imagining and can be planked by a center channel such as a Belle, Lascala, Cornwall,  or even Heresy.

If the long wall still allows the pool table, then you could have both, guaranteed. 

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

Dude i experienceed the exact same situation as you when i met Pepper. I thought he was a drunk and arogant prick but at the same time the coolest person ive ever met haha.

I've started the conversation with my daughter and her boyfriend to see if they want the pool table. It only gets played on holidays or special occasions when family come over. We bought the house with the table and got a quote to move it 2 years ago it was like 500 to have it mmoved upstairs. Anybody reading need a nice pool table lol!

For what it's worth I'd be pushing the khorns with a pair of VRD monoblocks with a Juicy Music Tercel and Merlin

• Like 2

On second thought, I'm inclined to suggest Klipschorns would not be a great choice for that room unless you do all that record case moving to put the speakers against that long wall. I'm also wondering how the low ceiling height would impact the sound of such a speaker.

You might be better off waiting for a used pair of LaScalas to put against the short wall, and tuck a subwoofer in the corner next to the record case.

We ALL want Klipschorns but unfortunately not all of us have the living situation to accommodate them, including me. Life sucks, I know!

Offer the pool table up for free on craigslist ("You can have it but you gotta move it!") and see how fast it goes. It came with the house for a reason...

Since you've already decided to get rid of the pool table, then have nothing to lose except time to experiment.  

Get rid of pool table, clear out room, experiment with placement.   If the Khorns sounded better in their original location in the house, convince the wife to have a second systems and get Lascalas or Cornwalls.  I just realized you were in the process of possibly purchasing these.  Even that being said, I'd still go for it. 

I think you have a great opportunity to try something most don't get the opportunity to.  I'd give it a good college try.

• Like 1

How wide is the opening on the left side? Your ceilings aren't quite 8 ft, correct?

I would still go with the speakers on the short wall. Never liked my speakers too far apart, even with great imaging. Just didn't seem as natural to me.

I believe you can still get balanced bass, even with the shorter left wall. I've heard khorns out three feet from the corners on both sides of a room and they still souned great.

• Like 1

i called a local company in my town that sells pools and gaming equipment and to disassemble is only 200 and to move it upstairs another 250. We lucked out and bought a 3200sq ft home right before covid hit with finished basement so I'm thinking i will store the pool table. 

I will be moving most if not all the record shelves to my current 2 channel listening space so they will all be out of the room.

the wing wall is 29" (i assume thats what you meant Marvel) so i would need to add something to get the full effect so the speakers could be closed. the short wall is 16 feet. I'm not completely positive on the ceiling height but i would say its at least 7" or more, i don't think its 8ft.

I have one set of Khorns separated 23' with a center channel in about a 7' high room, and another set separated 20' in a 10' high room. Both sound excellent, the set with a center channel having a very awesome 3-dimensional sound.

If I were getting a subwoofer too, I'd forget the Lascala's and get the Khorns. You'd be much better off.  

• Like 1