Klipschorn placement, need advice for possible purchase

jeff spicoli

All the other outlets voltages (in the dedicated music room) tested fine. The reason I noticed the issue is because I plugged my Tripp Lite isobar ultra into the plugin with the low voltage and a warning light came on and it made a buzzing sound. 

I felt no need to test the other outlets. I guess I just assumed you plug something in and it's supposed to work

• Like 1

With a 55-volt reading, it does sound like you have wires reversed somewhere. Check the voltage between ground and neutral and L1.

You will need to listen to your setup to determine if you need any room treatments. If you get serious, invest in a mini dsp microphone and download REW, then learn to use it,..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jeff spicoli said:

All the other outlets voltages (in the dedicated music room) tested fine. The reason I noticed the issue is because I plugged my Tripp Lite isobar ultra into the plugin with the low voltage and a warning light came on and it made a buzzing sound. 

I felt no need to test the other outlets. I guess I just assumed you plug something in and it's supposed to work

Thanks! Since you are on the list, may as well let the electric man sort it. Congrats and can wait for treatments when needed.

• Like 1

The room is in need of some serious treatment. To start, a large area rug between you and the speakers will help. And an overstuffed chair or loveseat on the wall behind you. After that it starts to get pricey. But it's worth reaching out to these guys:

https://www.gikacoustics.com/

They can give you recommendations based on your pictures. You can start small and add other treatment as funds allow.

• Like 3

that was one of the companies I was actually looking at Shakey but couldn't remember what the name was, thank you for the link

The rug I'm using now is way too small and I'm on the hunt for a larger one. I've got a few idea and will start the process of going down the room treating rabbit hole haha

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Please explain how " reversing wires" changes the Potential on 110 vac 

I am  incredibly interested as apparently my Electrical Licensing Exam left that question out

Reversing wires is a misnomer, I should have said more accurately mis-wired. His tester gave an indication of HOT GND REV which probably led me to using the word reversed. However, my intention was many different wiring defects such as a loose neutral/hot wire, a ground/neutral is somewhere cross wired into the wrong circuit and that voltage is only measured whenever a device is plugged into one circuit and there is a back feed into the measured circuit, and any number of mis-wiring that can cause a back feeding between L1/L2/neutral ground leading to an odd voltage present. I have actually come across that scenario twice and both were pretty difficult and labor intensive to find the mis-wiring. That is why I asked him to measure the voltages between all three wires in that receptacle that may give a clue.

And I am fairly certain that a question like that would never have shown up on a licensing exam 55 years ago. That knowledge comes from experience.

On 2/7/2023 at 5:34 PM, jeff spicoli said:

Updated info with pictures. The pool table was disassembled yesterday so I pretty much have a bare canvas. It is awfully echoie so I had a rug and listening chair which doesn't help much

Unfortunately the one outlet where I was going to hook everything up is causing me issues. It only reads 55 volts and the other 3 outlets in that room have issues as well. They seem to work but I bought a tester and it reads HOT/GRD REV but it's not that cause we checked them all. I called an electrician and had to be put on a list. Fortunately I may have figured something out to work in the meantime.

This is the north wall

20230206_194549.jpg

Are you sure that reading wasn't mV.  That would indicate a breaker tripped.

16 hours ago, Quad Khorns said:

And I am fairly certain that a question like that would never have shown up on a licensing exam 55 years ago

City of Rochester,NY had a absolute bear of an exam when I took it. Union Local ,86 filed a protest as not one Union Member passed

I waited untill they took the exam paper away from me

I also sat in the back row just to get a a couple seconds more time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

City of Rochester,NY had a absolute bear of an exam when I took it. Union Local ,86 filed a protest as not one Union Member passed

I waited untill they took the exam paper away from me

I also sat in the back row just to get a a couple seconds more time

If you are like me, I am glad I am long over the days of test taking

• Like 1