Generation X-er (me) just discovered Vinyl...but needs your help!!!

Sabastian

(Before reading this, keep in mind that the reason I'm posting is to let you know that I'm interested in hearing new music...I'v read a lot of posts from you old folks on this forum, and was excited to hear that there was music in the 80's other than "eighties music", and that there are many groups in the 90's with great music that didn't see the time of day...but how do I get my hands on this music? Please read my post to share in my joy, and help me out by educating me as to what music YOU have discovered....)

Even though I was born in the 80's, I can still say that Vinyl Rocks! Read on to understand why I believe this...

Why did I venture into the world of vinyl?

It all started when I heard a cover of Elvis Costello's "Wathing the Detectives" by Duran Duran (On thier 1995 tribute album "Thank You") - and my old fogie friend pulled out the Elvis Costello LP....

Every once in a while, I get the urge to listen to some "new" music...which means purchasing music media. The radio and television are great...if you want pop-culture slammed down your throat. I'm tired of buying music that I like based on what I hear on the radio or TV - consumerism and marketing don't allow talented music to hit the air-waves. I have a CD collection of about 500 albums from the last 25 years - excluding rap, hip-hop and country (I prefer Johnny Cash era).

So, I get the urge to hear some new music, and blow $300....for what? For 20 CD's of more heavily marketed music from the last quarter-century (9 Steeley Dan Albums included, which are awesome - but that's besides the point).

Do you know how much 20 LP's cost on EBay? Can you say, "...$5 plus shipping?"

I actually bought 500 45's for under $40!!! New music? I think I've found it.

I've also discovered that Vinyl is not only dirt-cheap to buy, but also a great way to hear music that, for "profit" reasons, may never make the transition from Vinyl to CD - this had never occured to me before.

And let me tell you about the sound! All of you old fogies are probobly tone deaf, and might have a difficult time telling the difference between Digital and Analog (other than the "pop" and "hiss" of a bad record), but to my virgin ears, vinyl has a depth and honesty that CD's can't pretend to touch.

So, now that I've shared my latest discovery, help me out by pointing me in the right direction...help me escape the music-marketing night-mare of today. What music would you love to share with some punk kid like me?

I grew-up being infatuated with Steve Winwood, Phil Collins, and Huey Lewis. Today I enjoy Stone Temple Pilots, Duran Duran, Aerosmith, The Police, Golden Earring, Santana, Robert Palmer, Eric Clapton, Fleetwood Mac etc. etc. Chances are, if it's commercial music that doesn't suck, I probobly like it, and know it by heart.

I've noticed that everyone else posts thier sound setup...so, here's mine...sorry, no Klipsch...but check out the subs...:

Main Amplifier - SONY STR-DE975 (5x110 watts @ 8ohms)

Main Speakers - JBL S312 (12" 3-way 250 watts @ 8ohms)

Surround Speakers - JBL N310 (dual 10" 3-way 175 watts @ 8ohms)

Center Channel - Acoustic Research (dual 5" w/ tweeter 150 watts @ 8ohms?)

Subwoofers (2 of em9.gif ) JBL SR-4718A (18" 600 watts @ 4ohms) 9.gif

Subwoofer Amp - Crown XLS602 (2x600 watts @ 4 ohms)9.gif

When you think you're ready for it: look for some good jazz or blues. Someone like Robert Cray is a great artist to listen to to hepl prepare the way as you transition from mass market music to the world of blues. See if you can find Cray's "Strong Pursuader" album, and go from there. John Coltrane and/or Miles Davis will help you start to find your way into the world of classic jazz.

You might be a bit young for this leap yet, but a contrary view might be evidenced by the reports I keep hearing that the younger crowd is starting to get turn on to classic jazz and blues in a big way. Hope you fall into that crowd!

Whar's your turntable sub man!??!? You better have subsonic filter on that Sony cause you going to be rocking the boat unless that ole table is hanging from the ceiling!

Dig the enthusiasm though. Did you see that post the other day where I listed WAY too many indie 90s bands for anyone's good? IT was a list to keep you busy and lost in a sea of vinyl till you wish for digital salvation... which will be a long time coming.

Here is a replay of that post:

I still listen and keep up to date with indie bands as it is liteally the ONLY rock and roll I can stomach that doesnt sound like it has been phoned in from a rote memorization down the oatmeal lane of replayed CLICHE.

The 90s saw a lot of GREAT stuff come out that remained under the radar unlike the mainstream "Grunge" and "MTV Alternative" which became just as cliche and painfully manipulated as anything else in Top 40, except it had the pretense of being ALTERNATIVE so was almost WORSE in my eyes.

Some great stuff out in the last 10 years includes:

- Helium

- Guided by Voices

- Guv'ner

- Butterglory

- Sebadoh

- Cat Power

- San Francisco Seals

- Pavement

- Yo La Tengo

- Barbara Manning

- Cornelius

- Modest Mouse

- Robert Pollard

- Arsonists

- Pole

- Void

- Bardo Pond

- Mary Timony

- Polvo

- John Spencer Blues Explosion

- Feedtime

- Mogwai

- Eggs

- Velocity Girl

- Courtney Love (the band)

- Low

- Saucer

- Fly Ashtray

- Better Of Airport

- Land of the Loops

- Miss Murgotroid

- Phone job

- Sukpatch

- Seana Carmody

- Thinking Fellers Union Local 282

- Sun City Girls

- Kicking Giant

- Beat Happening

- Scrawl

- Versus

- Veronica Lake

- Small Factory

- The Didjits

- Grifters

- Tsunami

- Lois

- My Dad is Dead

- Mind Sirens

- Seam

- Elf Power

- Idyll Swords

- Kings of Convenience

- Rilo Kiley

- Japancakes

- Smog

- Tortoise

- Boards of Canada

- etc etc

And the list goes on. That is how much stuff is out there, and ALL the above is better than 98% of the crap coming out of the radio or TV. It has more freshness...life....and imagination.

Man...I wish I was back starting all over again. I put on Mission of Burma's DIRT from their EP and couldnt believe how good it was. There is a TON of great stuff. And almost ALL of it is also on vinyl with the 80s stuff ONLY on vinyl and much of it sounding amazingly uncompressed since they used minimal effects.

PAinful once. Horrifying twice. But a start to your insanity as ALL of that is on vinyl. Sadly, they is TONS more...

kh

Where do I start? I can start by saying that we don't all type our gear each time we post. We create a "signature" with our setups so we don't have to type it each time. Hit the "My Profile" tab to enter your equipment.

As far as where to order the stuff, that's simple. Find out the record label and order it direct from them. We are talking new music here so I'm assuming a lot of independent stuff right? I doubt if you'd get very far emailing Warner Brothers asking for the new Flaming Lips album on wax.

This is where I see a problem. The music you grew up on is no different than the music you listen to now. Steve Winwood then...Robert Palmer now???!!! Do you REALLY listen to a lot of robert Palmer now? If so you really do need some new music. I'd suggest looking at Kelly's list of great bands in a post he made recently. He has impeccable taste in music IMO and his list could be a great ear-opener.

If you're looking to score a huge stash of mint 80's vinyl that ISN'T John Cougar, Fleetwood Mac & The Eagles then good luck. That's some of the most desirable vinyl around and has been snatched up long ago. Now that I think about it I'm not really of much help as my listening habits are more esoteric than most.

Turntable sub? Do I need a separate sub setup for vinyl?

You should see these subs...they're so big that UPS refuses to ship them...

What's a subsonic filter? Is that a filter that eliminates stuff below 20hz? The JBL subs are only capable of playing down to 30hz..., and the Crown amp will take anything you throw at it.

The Sony works as a pre-amp for sounds in the 20hz - 250hz range, and passes it along through an RCA jack. I move that signal to the crown amp, and yet I'm able to controll the low-frequency filter, and subwoofer level from the Sony remote - it works pretty well. All sound from 20hz - 120hz (that's where I leave the filter at) is passed to the crown amp.

I did see your post earlier, and in fact it inspired me to post here...I was bothered by the fact that I haven't heard of any of those artists.

But, to help me out, could you pick out like a top-10? That list is just

a little overwhelming...

I will speak from a rock perspective...I'm probably at the age and have heard so much rock that maybe Blues & Jazz are the next leap. I've been leaking into classical actually....gee flipping between hardcore punk and classical. Started w/"Classical Music For Dummies". Highly recommended if you didn't take "Clapping for Credit" or music appreciation in college...maybe that was actually "Theater Appreciation" but a tire joke none the less.

www.allmusic.com

Type in a band you like and they will give a "similar artists", "influencer", and "followers". You can also click on "style" and get a list of key artists...lot's of links to wonder from Costello to Guided By Voices to The Apples in Stereo, etc.

CMJ - College Music Journal (used to be limited to college radio stations now you can subscribe) - they have a mag and a sampler CD. I found this very enjoyable although it didn't come out until later in my career when CDs were popular...

COMPILATION CDs

* I highly recommend Rhino's DIY 9-cd series (American Power Pop, UK PowerPop, UK Punk, Boston Scene, LA, etc.)

* Nuggets box is a mostly obscure garage band box

* Rhino has a great Surf Music Box set

ALBUM GUIDES (most rate albums): - Lot's of books give hopefully more than one opinion although some are just summations of other reviews and perceptions.

SPIN - Alternative Record Guide - includes a best ever list (in their opinion).

Trouser Press Record Guide - good info but no ratings so hard to easily pick new their favorites. This is the one book that has smaller indie acts ...

Christgau's Record GUide: 80's and 90's (two books) -- more opinionated. Unique letter grades vs 1-5 or 1-10 scale.

Third Ear Alternative Rock - missing a lot of bands but still a big book

The Great Rock Discography - Martin Strong

The Great Alternative & Indie Discography - some overlap, UK perspective, different stats and harder to read due a little formating.

Mojo top 100 Albums

All Music Guide to Rock--rates relative to other albums by same artist so most bands have at least one 4-star lp. Same as web site so note that just about every band gets a positive review in some way.

MusicHound - essential Guide to Rock -- similar to AMG but maybe a few more bad reviews

Rolling Stone Album Guide - more opinionated and clearly they don't like certain bands that have great reviews in other books...ie Moody Blues.

Virgin Encyclopedia of Music (a big volume or broken into books by decade and other segmentations. Original content I think although similar results.

I have a spreadsheet of my records with ratings from each of the guides...or at least an attempt to do this. I can email you the EXCEL spreadsheet and you can see which albums are consistently getting good reviews. I have an "Alternative" tab and a "classic rock" tab --don't like the names but I do like the segmentation of lists.

Here is probably an unreadable sample (not all books review every album so there are blanks).

Housemartins London O Hull 4 LP 3.5 4 3.5 4 - 4 - 1986

Housemartins The People Who Grinned Themselves to Death CD - 3.5 - 1987

Human League Crash LP 1 3 - 2.5 1.5 2.5 2 1986

Human League Dare LP

Human Sexual Response Fig 14 LP 4 4 - - - - - 1980

Human Sexual Response In a Roman Mood LP 4 3 - - - - - 1981

Human Sexual Response Pound EP - - - - 1981

Hunters & Collectors Hunters & Collectors LP 3 - 3.5 - 1983

Hunters & Collectors The Fireman's Curse LP 2 - 2.5 - 1983

Hunters & Collectors The Jaws of Life LP 4 - 3 - 1984

Hunters & Collectors Human Frailty LP 4 3.5 4 - 3.5 - 1986

Hunters & Collectors Collected Works CD 4 4 3.5 4.5 - 3.5 - 1990

Hunters & Collectors Fate LP 4 - 3.5 - 1988

Husker Du Metal Circus EP 3.5 3 3 3 4.5 - - 1983

Husker Du Zen Arcade LP (2) 4.5 5 4.5 3.5 5 4.5 5 1984

Husker Du New Day Rising LP 5 4.5 1985

Husker Du Flip Your Wig LP 4 5 4.5 4 4.5 4 3 1985

Husker Du Candy Apple Grey LP 3.5 4 4 4.5 4 3.5 4 1986

Husker Du Warehouse: Songs & Stories LP (2) 4 5 4 5 3.5 4.5 3 1987

Husker Du The Living End CD 3 3 4 - 4 3 3 1994

I just wish record shops in the USA where like th ones in Europe (Germany at least). I was stationed in Germany for 3 years in the 80s. Every saturday after payday I would head to the record shops in Frankfurt. The big difference there is that you can listen to anything before you buy it. That's right, ANYTHING! Germans where not big on tape so most was vinyl and later CDs. I would pick out a big stack of records and discs and head to the counter to listen. You could listen to short snipets of tracks to the whole thing if you wanted. I discovered alot of great stuff I would have never heard otherwise. I also discovered alot of crap to avoid at all costs. By evening I would be heading back to the baracks with lots of new music and alot less DM.

BTW what turntable are you using in your system?

Buying vinyl

Annual Record Collectors Conventions (ie Austin, TX)

Each major city or college town seems to have a used and new vinyl & CD music store. The indie 70's/80's rock is picked over or $25 but a lot of low volume, influencial, major label albums are available new on 180g vinyl (ie Dead Boys, Stooges) or still available from the few indie labels that are still around (ie SST, Twin Town is represented by a Chicago label I think, Ace of Hearts).

I've found good stuff at HALF PRICED BOOKS (us chain started in TX and only in a few states). I've been hunting in about 6 Dallas area stores for a few years now. You have to flip through a lot of mass produced worn out albums to find a few gems. I'd like to see someone try to corner the market on used Fleetwood Mac Rumors lps.

Most of the used lp stores I visit have rows of turntables for listening.

In Europe the new lps were never sealed -- or at least the stores I visited in the 70's. They had a nice plastic jacket.

I've downloaded a lot from Kazaa and other before it. I downloaed several GUIDED BY VOICES songs this week. For me this is a great way to sample before you buy. It has increased my purchases.

----------------

On 1/15/2003 12:22:18 AM kjohnsonhp wrote:

I'd like to see someone try to corner the market on used Fleetwood Mac Rumors lps.

----------------

Or do it with AOL disks. I am working on a giant solar reflector with my collection. Gotta stop the aliens somehow. Dang, I shouldnt have watched 'Signs' tonight and then listen to Hendrix, Axis Bold as Love.

Ahhhhh... THE COMPILATION! Thanks for reminding me Ken!!!

Thy Compilation is the answer, short and SWEET! Indeed. You will have to go digital on some of these but you sample the bands, and then head out for net search. Here is a smattering of compilations, most on CD, that will expose and are GREAT for music as well - ALL recommended:

va_wailing01.jpg

spinART One Last Kiss.... buy it. Start off with the Matador compilations on CD. Find the Wailing Ultimate Compilation you see above. ALL GREAT racket.

spinART "One Last Kiss" (GREAT COMP)

"The Wailing Ultimate Compilation" - Homestead REcords

"What's up Matador" Matador Records Compilation

"Everything is Nice" Matador Records 10th Anniversary

"Mondo Stereo" Compilation - Pulsebeat Magazine

"YoYo Music Compilation" K Records

"Working Holiday" 7" Compilation Simple MAchines

The Dangerhouse Compilation Volume 1 (GREAT WEST COAST PUNK)

"TEENBEAT FIFTI" Teenbeat & Matador

"When I am Hungry, I Eat: Songs about food" Gourmandizer

"Soluble Fish " VA Homestead

"In My Living Room" Kimchee REcords

"International Pop Underground Convention" K Records

"The Human Music Compilation" Homestead Records

All those are good... But are AN ACQUIRED TASTE! Dont any of you Normals bust out and buy that GOURMANDIZER record and come flailing back wondering what hit you! This stuff is OUT THERE. some of it takes about 20000 listens before it sinks into the skull. Some 1.

kh

Sebastian said---

"All of you old fogies are probobly tone deaf, and might have a difficult time telling the difference between Digital and Analog"

Sorry i cant help on the LP issue, but i have to disagree with such a comment - even though i'm about as far from "fogiehood" as anyone can get!

I'm afraid that the difference between digital and analog is unbeleviably discernable. Which one you prefer is totally personal taste. (Just a dumb 16 year old's opinion)

haha

Nate

Mobile,

Nice list...I'll have to check out some of these bands. I've heard and enjoyed Pavement and Tortoise. Have you heard the KC band Shiner. They're now defunct, and their last album wasn't the best of their efforts, but albums like Lula Divina and Splay are great. And there are an abundance of 7" singles out there that have some really good sounds. I'll have to get busy on this list, though.

Try this. Not everyone is "ready" for it. Although this music is over 20 years "old", I'm sure most people would still qualify it as "new". My experience has been that the older & more traditional or conservative you are, the less you will like it.

composer Steve Reich

My favorite piece: Music For 18 Musicians. A very mezmerizing piece. I have it on vinyl & CD. Don't let it fool you. Its all 100% acoustic although it may at times sound like synthesizers or sampling is employed. ECM 1129-2 (CD)

Also, Six Pianos; Music for Mallet Instruments, Voices and Organ.

This one does have "electric organ" on Voices and Organ. Deutsche Grammophon 2535 4639 (LP)

You might want to also check out composer John Adams. Similar vein, but a little more "traditional" bent for this kind of music (orchestral).

WARNING: Don't drive while listening to 18 Musicians, especially on dark roads late at night.