Cornwalls, why are they so good?

The Dude

I have the honor of owning different speakers. I've owned some version of Cornwalls for some time, went from Cornwall 1s to Cornwall IVs. Regardless, I love the sound from both. One would think that the different mid horns and networks would make me love one more over the other, but it doesn't. The way my IVs are positioned I would say that the stereo image is best between the two, but wasn't something that bothered me with the Is.  

In the basement which is more theater based is where I have my diy folded horn bass bins that I ripped off from the Klipsch Belle and added the k402.  Now don't get me wrong, that system sounds great, but I tend to catch myself listening to my Cornwalls more.  My goal with the basement system was to have  more of a HI end sound system, but I must say, I'm not as impressed as I thought I would.  This could be to room acoustics, improper implementation of the active network or maybe the lack of the Klipsch sound that I enjoy from the Cornwalls. 

I would like to try a set of actual Belles or the new Lascalas, but financially it's not feasible.   I'm almost leaning towards a trio of Cornwalls up front. 

Curious to everyone else's thoughts.

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I have the honor of owning different speakers. I've owned some version of Cornwalls for some time, went from Cornwall 1s to Cornwall IVs. Regardless, I love the sound from both. One would think that the different mid horns and networks would make me love one more over the other, but it doesn't. The way my IVs are positioned I would say that the stereo image is best between the two, but wasn't something that bothered me with the Is.  

In the basement which is more theater based is where I have my diy folded horn bass bins that I ripped off from the Klipsch Belle and added the k402.  Now don't get me wrong, that system sounds great, but I tend to catch myself listening to my Cornwalls more.  My goal with the basement system was to have  more of a HI end sound system, but I must say, I'm not as impressed as I thought I would.  This could be to room acoustics, improper implementation of the active network or maybe the lack of the Klipsch sound that I enjoy from the Cornwalls. 

I would like to try a set of actual Belles or the new Lascalas, but financially it's not feasible.   I'm almost leaning towards a trio of Cornwalls up front. 

Curious to everyone else's thoughts.

I too have multiple systems. My primary and secondary both La Scala. The CW that we’re my primary have hardly been used since the LS moved in. Gotta be the big *** midhorn. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CWOReilly said:

I too have multiple systems. My primary and secondary both La Scala. The CW that we’re my primary have hardly been used since the LS moved in. Gotta be the big *** midhorn. 

I could see where I'd be satisfied with new Lascalas down there, it may need to be a goal.  I would have to change my subs, which may not be a bad thing.  Good news is I already have a Jubscala for a center channel. 

10 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I could see where I'd be satisfied with new Lascalas down there, it may need to be a goal.  I would have to change my subs, which may not be a bad thing.  Good news is I already have a Jubscala for a center channel. 

Or 2 more Jubscala!

• 2 weeks later...

I heard my first Cornwall of any version this past summer, CW IV.  After hearing them twice, I was thinking I might want them instead of my new 2013 Khorns.  I thought they were amazing.  Then something happened.  My Anthem AVM70 had a firmware update which messed up the Anthem for a few weeks.  I was then forced to connect my VPI Prime Signature to my McIntosh C50 and MC302.  Oddly enough, the sound was better than I have ever heard from my system.  No subwoofers available or the Anthem Room correction SW, ARC.  

Thanks to the firmware update, I am not interested in the CW IVs for my main system anymore.  But, if I had a second AV room I would buy the CW IVs for sure.  I would highly recommend the CW IVs for anyone with room constrictions that wouldn't permit Khorns

Just my two cents worth.

Cheers

• Like 2

There have been a number here over 20 years who were very much good with Cornwalls over any of the larger brethren, fully knowing that "by the book I know I should like the bigger that's supposed to be better, but there's something about those that I just like".

Read it, heard it hundreds of times. I have oft said here that if a Martian came to Earth and asked me what a loudspeaker looks like I would show a Cornwall. That box is so perfect for the purpose inherently (approximates the golden mean/ratio), and while the IV version is no doubt tweaked and perfected to make it the best Klipsch can make it be today, ANY of the iterations, I-IV inclusive, perform far beyond what technology exists in these boxes. Big enough to have heft, and the 1" midrange throat gets you into the "bigger leagues" in terms of openness vs the smaller stuff - where a Forte just cannot compete. A low order B2 networked Cornwall from the 70's shouldn't sound as good as it does, but it does 🙂 No where else does a whole exceed the sum of its parts like exists in a Cornwall, and almost anyone can find a room that they can work in, and used are the grand champion speaker deal of all time while yet still offered in the most refined version yet brand new.

I have an all-Cornwall theater, with three across the front inclusive and it's quite an impressive experience.

• Like 2

I have 5 Cornwalls - all made in the 1980 - 1983 range.    To my ears and my musically inclined kids these speakers sound great.    I drive them with a variety of electronics and listen to a variety of music.   Compared to many other alternatives these speakers meet my needs and I have no desire to swap these out for anything except perhaps CW IV.

Edited by Guest Vahorns
  • Like 3

I've had 2 pairs of Cornwalls over the last 20 years.  1978 versions, mostly stock, and 1985 II's, mostly stock.  They were "ok" but neither lasted long.  It was mainly the room they were in where the Epic CF-3's just annihilated them in most every respect.  But I've heard them in other rooms where they did quite well.  As far as the IV's go, I'm sure they sound great but I would never consider paying retail price for sure and probably not the used pricing.  But that's just me.

• Like 1

They can/do "honk" on a good deal of program material (at least with the earlier versions). Some would call it "bite", and depending on your specific use and taste could call it a bug OR a feature at the same time.

I play my Cornwalls at low-90s db at the listening position at a max by and large, and if not overdriven that "bite" becomes that "jump of life". If these are run like PA speakers, at 100+db at the listening position, they are going to "bite you" in most situations, and mine will in a lot of situations too. On clean tracks, like DTS in my Cornwall Theater, I can get away with much more on the throttle before having "the honk" be an issue. On CD and a good deal of 2 channel stuff this can show, but I'm not doing music at that level anyway.

But I don't listen that loud, and really neither should you, and when kept within what PWK seemed to understand was normal listening volumes (before Flame Linears came along) they do just fine. On a technical level there's a lot better for "system crankers" within the Klipsch line than a Cornwall, but for reasonable to even a bit more volume the Cornwall is one of those speakers that performs a LOT better than it should when you look at its technical aspects. 

If you want more extreme adressing of that issue in a Cornwall the newest IV version would be one to investigate. Steeper slope pickled onions on a sesame seed bun.....

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Idontknow said:

I bet most listeners would fail blind tests miserably between the newer Heritage series and the old. 

I would LOVE to put that to the test. I REALLY want to hear the CIV against my OG CI cabs, and I am quite sure I would be able to tell them apart. They are MARKEDLY different in their setup (better tweeter and steep slope crossovers just for openers). While so much of this is truly subjective, I suspect the CIV would come out better in some aspects (less honk and less cab boom to be sure) and maybe some tradeoffs in others, with the edge going to the IV in the overall from that lack of boom and honk. The IV is made to be a more refined product.

I think there was even someone here comparing an older Chorus to a Cornwall IV and he liked the Chorus but I suppose using the same speaker would be a better comparison. I'm happy with earlier Heritage speakers. The problem is it's impossible to find anything in excellent condition. Everybody bangs the crap out of everything.