Cornwalls, why are they so good?

The Dude

10 minutes ago, Idontknow said:

I think there was even someone here comparing an older Chorus to a Cornwall IV and he liked the Chorus but I suppose using the same speaker would be a better comparison. I'm happy with earlier Heritage speakers. The problem is it's impossible to find anything in excellent condition. Everybody bangs the crap out of everything. 

We bought all of the good ones up already 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Idontknow said:

How do you wire 3 or 4. Are you guys using receivers?

I answered this in the Home Theater sub forum with the idea of home theater multi channel in mind.  If you want to run a center or quad for stereo, some older amps have speaker a and speaker b. There is a Dynaco device for this type of setup as well. For center, I believe PWK created something as well @OO1 maybe has insight.  Lastly, some H.H. Scott integrated amps had a pre out for center channel. 

Sold my ak3`s to buy ak5s thought I was finally done. I was on vacation stopped by puducah home theater-listened to cornwall 4s wow!.

They followed me home. sold my ak5`s . I have to say they are the best speakers I have ever owned , or they make me the happiest.

Thats my story and I`am sticking to it. No mods great right out of the box............ Done

• Like 3

I heard so much good things and would love to hear the Cornwalls on some sound bytes if available in different types of music. I heard one on the local Klipsch store demo but they were just doing only violin sound... Thanks. 👿

3 hours ago, JJkizak said:

Has anyone added deadening to the inside of the Cornwall to reduce the honk? Some recordings voice wise are great while others honk badly.

There is very little in my Cornwall one.

JJK

I don't think additional deadening inside is going to solve your issue.  I think the sound you're referring to is based on the design of the mid-range horn.

• Like 1

Regarding pricing, I agree that the asking price for vintage Heritage speakers is often ridiculous.  I'm not sure they're necessary being sold at that price, though.  Prices also seem to be dropping a bit over the last 4 months or so.

Having said that, I have bought two pairs of Heresys for $600/pr, both walnut oil finish and in very good condition.  As you all know, Heresys are pretty sweet speakers and punch WAY above the $600 price class.  Yes, $400 would have been better but given the pleasure I'm getting $600 feels like a bargain.

Same goes for the '76 Cornwalls I recently picked up . . . 🙂  They are seriously good and have that certain je n'est sais quoi -- a great blend of delicateness and power.

20230126-164804.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Ridiculously overpriced , bear in mind the original cost. 😀

You are correct.  I bought my forte II new in 1992.  LP was $1,000.00 a pair.  I purchased on sale for $850.00.  $1,000.00 in 1992 dollars is the equivalent of $2,126.04 in 2023 dollars.  Current Heritage pricing is more than 2.5 times the rate of inflation.  I purchased a pair of forte IV that were 4-week-old A stock for $3,500.00 then sold my forte II to a forum member for $1K.  Total investment, $2,500.00.  I never would have paid $4,500.00 plus for current A stock.  

Value of 1992 US Dollars today - Inflation Calculator (inflationtool.com)

2 minutes ago, John Chi-town said:

I purchased on sale for $850.00.  $1,000.00 in 1992 dollars is the equivalent of $2,126.04 in 2023 dollars.    sold my forte II to a forum member for $1K. 

your pricing comparison  shows that a  Forte II in Very good condition   at 1k$   in 2023  is a bargain , since it's original purchase price was also  1k$ ,