Feng shui and audio

The Dude

Not sure how Feng Shui it is.. Indeed, I'm not sure I'll ever understand exactly what it means.  But I'll make a pitch for making your system as visually appealing to your SO as absolutely possible.  

By  making my system look nice and tidy - no tangle of cords everywhere, no open rack of components, etc. - my lovely wife has always encouraged me to have the system in our family room. Consequently, the whole family hears what I'm listening to, and I hear what they cue up (all CD's ripped into a music server, and Roon/Tidal the past few years).  Not to be too precious about it, but it really has helped make our family close.  IMHO, music is best enjoyed as a shared experience.  When I see my kids put on their headphones, I'll ask what they're listening to, then encourage them to cue it up on the family system.  ..And I don't have headphones, so it's the main system or nothing.

It's important to ALWAYS find something to like about what they're listening to.  You get nowhere criticizing what others - particularly your kids - like.

Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 6.43.37 AM.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ODS123 said:

Not sure how Feng Shui it is.. Indeed, I'm not sure I'll ever understand exactly what it means.  But I'll make a pitch for making your system as visually appealing to your SO as absolutely possible.  

By  making my system look nice and tidy - no tangle of cords everywhere, no open rack of components, etc. - my lovely wife has always encouraged me to have the system in our family room. Consequently, the whole family hears what I'm listening to, and I hear what they cue up (all CD's ripped into a music server, and Roon/Tidal the past few years).  Not to be too precious about it, but it really has helped make our family close.  IMHO, music is best enjoyed as a shared experience.  When I see my kids put on their headphones, I'll ask what they're listening to, then encourage them to cue it up on the family system.  ..And I don't have headphones, so it's the main system or nothing.

It's important to ALWAYS find something to like about what they're listening to.  You get nowhere criticizing what others - particularly your kids - like.

Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 6.43.37 AM.jpg

I agree completely with this, although my late wife was quite understanding to having mic cables and recording gear strewn around the house when I would pretend to be an engineer and have musician friends over. The kids got used to it.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, OO1 said:

Yin Yang and Feng Shui are  part of  Asian Medecine  ,   nothing to do with Audio .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yin_and_yang

https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feng_shui

Google moves like water, manipulated by the flow of words typed on my keyboard....when you put in "Wikipedia," knowledge crashes on the shores of Enlightenment. 

• Thanks 1