What should I use to paint my speakers?

Erivera1990

Greetings!!!

I recently acquired a pair of black klipsch speakers (Chorus), I stripped the paint off, I'm on the sanding and fixing some details. I already know which paint to use ( Vaspar #40 sheen semi-gloss), thanks to previous post here, my question here is, Should I use a standard spray gun (with an air air compressor), paint sprayer (Wagner type) or a high quality foam roller? I don't want to cover the wood grain when painting it, I am trying to give it that original black look showing wood grain. My only concern with a spray gun (air compressor) is the over spray...  

Any advice or experience will be appreciated! 

Have a great weekend!

Edwin

I'm not a painter, but can give input from my experience.  I haven't found a roller I like for cabinets. I like airless painters, but for smaller projects the clean up isn't worth it (I've got the Graco project plus that requires more clean up).  I had a harbor freight purple gravity feed HVLP sitting around, so I decided to use it on this current project. Much easier to clean, but if you to get inside of a cabinet (I don't believe you will) its cumbersome to get the gun in there and spray evenly (this is where the Graco comes in handy as I can put extensions on it to get inside a cabinet easier).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Erivera1990 said:

My only concern   is the over spray...  

to avoid orange peel  , you will have to work at a distance , start with  the bottom panel of the speaker  for the desired texture , and work up the cabinet  with  a consistent spray pattern

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OO1 said:

to avoid orange peel  , you will have to work at a distance , start with  the bottom panel of the speaker  for the desired texture , and work up the cabinet  with  a consistent spray pattern

He may be talking more of excessive paint around the work area. If so, there are ways to minimize this, check out you tube as I have seen it mentioned before, just don't recall how.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I'm not a painter, but can give input from my experience.  I haven't found a roller I like for cabinets. I like airless painters, but for smaller projects the clean up isn't worth it (I've got the Graco project plus that requires more clean up).  I had a harbor freight purple gravity feed HVLP sitting around, so I decided to use it on this current project. Much easier to clean, but if you to get inside of a cabinet (I don't believe you will) its cumbersome to get the gun in there and spray evenly (this is where the Graco comes in handy as I can put extensions on it to get inside a cabinet easier).

Thank you for your advice, completely forgot about harbor freight! I'm not planning to paint inside of the cabinet, just the outside, harbor freight have a paint sprayer for a reasonable price and according to the reviews it seems to be good! I will swing by the store and check, thank you! 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, OO1 said:

Thank you for the heads up! I will make sure it doesn't happen (fingers crossed)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OO1 said:

All of this commentary is assbackards. 

Spray CLOSE for transfer and a wet coat

START at the Top so Overspray does not fall on fresh paint

Who posted this crap ??!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OO1 said:

They had all of those at the store too, also they have one exclusively to paint furniture. I think I should be good with a quart of paint instead of buying a whole gallon.

images.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Erivera1990 said:

They had all of those at the store too, also they have one exclusively to paint furniture. I think I should be good with a quart of paint instead of buying a whole gallon.

images.jpeg

I just that in triton black for these cabinets. 

I had the paint supply on my gun backed all the way out and added 2 ounces of water to 20 ounces of paint, YMMV.  The taller cabinet was tiger wood and you can see some grain through the paint, the 2 shorter cabinets are birch more solid. I applied 2 coats of primer, could have gotten by with one coat of black, but missed some areas on the first go around, so ended with 2 coats of top coat.Not sure what it takes to get the wood grain to show, maybe less primer?

I used about a 1/3 of a gallon for those three cabinets.  I would think 1 coat would only require 1 quart. I always like to have more than enough, so I opt for a whole gallon,  plus I have trim to paint as well.

16732309222206723211459683714847.jpg

11 hours ago, The Dude said:

I just that in triton black for these cabinets. 

I had the paint supply on my gun backed all the way out and added 2 ounces of water to 20 ounces of paint, YMMV.  The taller cabinet was tiger wood and you can see some grain through the paint, the 2 shorter cabinets are birch more solid. I applied 2 coats of primer, could have gotten by with one coat of black, but missed some areas on the first go around, so ended with 2 coats of top coat.Not sure what it takes to get the wood grain to show, maybe less primer?

I used about a 1/3 of a gallon for those three cabinets.  I would think 1 coat would only require 1 quart. I always like to have more than enough, so I opt for a whole gallon,  plus I have trim to paint as well.

16732309222206723211459683714847.jpg

You did a great job! I really like it! I'm definitely going with the gallon now lol.

Back in 2017, I think it was, when I repainted a set of KLF-30's back to satin black, I just used a good brush and they looked excellent.  Also, IIRC, that certain Valspar #40 Satin Black is no more and you have to find someone at Lowes, or elsewhere, that knows a few things about paint.  That may be tough, though.

Edit...it was 2015 when I painted them.  Here is some info from back then.

56 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Back in 2017, I think it was, when I repainted a set of KLF-30's back to satin black, I just used a good brush and they looked excellent.  Also, IIRC, that certain Valspar #40 Satin Black is no more and you have to find someone at Lowes, or elsewhere, that knows a few things about paint.  That may be tough, though.

Edit...it was 2015 when I painted them.  Here is some info from back then.

I just got off the phone with Valspar Co., Got transferred twice, no one knew anything about a valspar #40 sheen, lol. I'm just going to buy the one for cabinets, I'm pretty sure is going to look good! I will upload few pictures after.