Forte vs heresy small room speakers close to wall

Cadmobile500

I have read that the forte sound better than heresy but need to be further away from the front wall and are pickyer about placement.

In a situation where the speaker would need to be closer to the front wall is the heresy a better choice or will the forte always sound better?

Will room correction help with this? (X32)

I will be buying used.

Is there much difference between the first and second generation models?

I am upgrading from rp280 and am trying to get a clearer midrange sound for music.

I have 2 pb1000 for subs.

I dont care as much how they sound for tv and movies.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Tom

1 hour ago, Shakeydeal said:

Forte all day. If you can get them at least 7-10” off the wall. Surely you can manage that.

Welcome to the forum.

Agree, need a foot out from wall, I get the best performance at 11" away from the wall.  Both on my previous forte II as well as my current forte IV.  Also, with the forte no sub is required.  You will certainly require a sub with the Heresy.

5 hours ago, Cadmobile500 said:

Im lookong at a set of forte 2 with crites tweeters and a set of forte 1 that are stock.

The 2 are $50 more.

Thinking I will like the midrange better on the 2.

Arethe crites tweeters more laid back than the stock ones?

Rp280 can get a little harsh with some material. 

Crites tweeters are titanium.  In my experience they offered more detailed treble than the factory drivers.  Some have called it sizzle.

Virtually all Klipsch three-way speakers will sound more balanced than their two-way models.

• Thanks 1

I bought a pair of the RP 280f’s  a few years back, and was anxious to compare them to my Heresy II’s and Quartets. I spent probably a month listening and comparing these speakers , it was great fun 🤓 but  it didn’t  take long to notice the  tremendous clarity and detail from  the 280f , maybe more detail than I’d ever heard  in a speaker . The bass on the 280 is nicely extended , flat to 35 hz in my room , nice tight bass , noticeably better damping than the Quartets .(If what you  like is tight bass)Overall I preferred the performance of the RP 280f over the very nice Quartets. The Heresy II on the other hand even though they cant match the other speakers low frequency extension, sound excellent right  up to their bottom limit . Female vocals on the Heresy sound outstanding ,and give a really nice smooth  presentation throughout  their entire  range  . If you’re into lots of micro detail the 280 is the clear winner here ,  the other two speakers can’t touch them , but how much is too much when it comes to detail ? I agree about the top end being a little hot on the 280 ,(If I understand you correctly), I found that turning  the treble control down two or three notches was an affective cure for this , it knocks down any impression of harshness very effectively.Overall  I think my Heresy’s may sound just a bit better than the RP 280f’s but it’s a close  call . My point here is that if you’re looking for an  upgrade , you may want to move up the ladder, to a bigger , or maybe newer heritage model , that’s where you’ll pull away in performance 🤓

• Like 1

I feel my rp280 lack mids.

I listen to alot of classic rock and heavy metal and Geezer and Geddy's bass lines get buried with the rp280.

Even Audyssey notices this and boosts the mids, but ide prefer to listen to music without it.

My thought is that the forte, being a 3 way will have clearer mids (better instrument seperation?) and the wide mid horn will provide a wider sweet spot.

Listening by myself I usually sit in the middle of the couch but when listening with my wife we both sit on the ends of the couch.

I heard some cornwalls last week and even up against the front wall, the sweet spot was very wide.

You're thoughts?

45 minutes ago, Cadmobile500 said:

I feel my rp280 lack mids.

I listen to alot of classic rock and heavy metal and Geezer and Geddy's bass lines get buried with the rp280.

Even Audyssey notices this and boosts the mids, but ide prefer to listen to music without it.

My thought is that the forte, being a 3 way will have clearer mids (better instrument seperation?) and the wide mid horn will provide a wider sweet spot.

Listening by myself I usually sit in the middle of the couch but when listening with my wife we both sit on the ends of the couch.

I heard some cornwalls last week and even up against the front wall, the sweet spot was very wide.

You're thoughts?

I think you are on the right path. The forte will certainly give you more of everything you seek.

• Like 1

I think what your ears are being drawn to are a 3-way speaker vs. your 2-way RP280s.

If money is an issue, buy Heresy's and use your existing subs.

What you've read about the Forte's vs. the Heresy's is likely due to the Forte's being able to play lower. Sure; Forte's have a different horn configuration which may voice the mid-range differently than the Heresy's; you'll have to listen to both to see if you prefer one over the other.

Forte's with subs would be overkill; Heresy's with subs would be virtually a necessity to compete with your RP-280s, but you'd save money in the process.

If it truly is a small room you're in, get the Heresy's just because the Forte's would be too much of a physical presence in the room.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2023 at 7:36 PM, OO1 said:

Heresy 1  wins ...K-77 , K-55V  Midrange Alnico .... same   drivers used in the Cornwall -Belle-LaScala-Khorn   the sound is pure klipsch .

Good luck finding that configuration anymore.  Most have the newer (non-k55v) mid.  To me the Forte or HII is more balanced.

19 hours ago, OO1 said:

There are plenty of Heresy 1  for sale on Ebay , CL, , USAAUDIOMART , FB Marketplace , 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=klipsch+heresy&_sop=1

I am referring to the actual driver configuration.  You are correct there are a lot but a number of Heresy 1's don't have k-77 and k-55v for the driver complement.  Need to be careful of the cut over to the other midranges if you really want to seek out that specific configuration.  An aside, to me the IIs sounded more balanced.  Forte's still if you want any bass.

3 hours ago, pzannucci said:

a number of Heresy 1's don't have k-77 and k-55v for the driver complement.   

just to be clear -100%  of   H models + the Heresy 1  ,   from 1957 to late 1984  share  the K-77 ,   the Heresy 1  has several midrange driver options  as of 1982  through 84

2 hours ago, OO1 said:

just to be clear -100%  of   H models + the Heresy 1  ,   from 1957 to late 1984  share  the K-77 ,   the Heresy 1  has several midrange driver options  as of 1982  through 84

Precisely why I stated that.  Careful with what you hope are in the boxes.

• Like 1