Forte vs heresy small room speakers close to wall

Cadmobile500

On 1/14/2023 at 4:07 PM, Cadmobile500 said:

I feel my rp280 lack mids.

I listen to alot of classic rock and heavy metal and Geezer and Geddy's bass lines get buried with the rp280.

Even Audyssey notices this and boosts the mids, but ide prefer to listen to music without it.

My thought is that the forte, being a 3 way will have clearer mids (better instrument seperation?) and the wide mid horn will provide a wider sweet spot.

Listening by myself I usually sit in the middle of the couch but when listening with my wife we both sit on the ends of the couch.

I heard some cornwalls last week and even up against the front wall, the sweet spot was very wide.

You're thoughts?

My Forte's fit the bill for classic rock and heavy metal, they dig deep when required and depending on the recording, the seperation is definitely not lacking. 

I feel that the seperation is best with the speakers facing forward (no toe in) and about 12" from the rear wall for optimal bass.

I have listed to cornwalls and I agree with the sweet spot being very wide, not well suited for classic rock/heavy metal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cadmobile500 said:

I am supposed to check out the forte 2 this weekend.

The owner say they have Crites tweeters.

I asked if the were any other mods and he didn't know.

He hasn't looked.

Said previous owner said Crites tweeters.

Should I be nervous?

He wants $900.

No, you should not be nervous.  The most common upgrade on the forte 1&2 models is the titanium diaphragm replacement on the tweeter.  Some have replaced the mid-range diaphragm with titanium as well.  However, this is very uncommon.  If the mid diaphragm has been replaced a roll of band pass would need to have been installed.  You can always remove the speaker input to check and see if xovers, were replaced, and or a band pass roll off was installed.  Either way both are very easily reversable.

5 hours ago, Cadmobile500 said:

Will get them off the wall next time wife isn't working from home and test.

20230124_124058.jpg

Get them off the rear wall 11-12 inches.  Had my forte II for 30 years before selling to a forum member and buying forte IV about 3-4 months ago.  Just trim the carpet, she will never notice.  🤣😂

• Haha 1

Got a chance to do some critical listening today.

The forte 2 have the midrange I was missing, actually WAY too much.

I A/B'ed with another set of klipsch and they made the other speakers sound like they had no modrange.

Ran Audyssey and they sound  pretty great.

Do you think a re-cap would make the speakers sound more balanced?

Right now they have too much mids.