Forte vs heresy small room speakers close to wall

Cadmobile500

8 minutes ago, Cadmobile500 said:

Do you think a re-cap would make the speakers sound more balanced?

Right now they have too much mids.

Variable L pads for the mid and tweeter go a long way towards adjusting for preferred balance in your room.

Not sure why they are demonized....

1 hour ago, Cadmobile500 said:

Got a chance to do some critical listening today.

The forte 2 have the midrange I was missing, actually WAY too much.

I A/B'ed with another set of klipsch and they made the other speakers sound like they had no modrange.

Ran Audyssey and they sound  pretty great.

Do you think a re-cap would make the speakers sound more balanced?

Right now they have too much mids.

I have recapped my older Klipsch speakers (Forte 1, RF-7, RC-7, & RS-7) with noticable improvments.  

Couple thoughts...

Your room won't allow the sort of boundary reinforcement for the bass (due to the doorway recess on the left and hallway behind the right), so not surprised about their mid-centric presentation. Don't be afraid to use some sort of eq to taste.

The added weight on the passive will reduce it's resonance frequency. This will result in a shallower roll off, and smear out the band where the pr supports the active driver, so may pay dividends as far as room gain and reduced cone motion. (Crudely, it's like going from a typical reflex alignment to something closer to aperiodic loading with a low-tuned variovent.) The risk is associated with exceeding  woofer xmax. The woofer and pr decouple at a an even lower frequency than stock due to the added weight on the pr. Woofer excursion may increase at it's resonance freq (would have to model the driver, box, and lower tuned pr to know the specifics) but it would likely require drunkard-style use of the volume knob to put them at risk. 

The refinished cabs look pretty good!

• Thanks 1

I compared them to my ksf 8.5 (they were side by side when i tested) and the forte sounded like all mids and the ksf sound like no mids, but with more bass.

They seemed to compliment each when they were both on but stacked it looks ridiculous. 

I didn't want to add l pads.

Wonder if a recap will balance them out.

We've only been in this house for a week and the room sounds very different from our last house.

20230127_182415.jpg

On 1/25/2023 at 8:55 PM, John Chi-town said:

Had my forte II for 30 years before selling to a forum member and buying forte IV about 3-4 months ago.  Just trim the carpet, she will never notice.  🤣😂

I am kicking around upgrading to Forte IV from my current Forte 1's.  I would like to hear the Forte IV's first, unfortunately Klipsch didn't bring them to Axpona in Chicago last year.

40 minutes ago, Southern said:

I am kicking around upgrading to Forte IV from my current Forte 1's.  I would like to hear the Forte IV's first, unfortunately Klipsch didn't bring them to Axpona in Chicago last year.

I upgraded my Forte 1s to Forte IVs for my front speakers and use my 1s for my rear speakers now. For me with my setup the IVs sound much better than the 1s. My 1s have Crites crossovers, and Dave As super tweeters. The IVs have much better mid bass, more solid lower bass and image much better in my space. More centered, deeper and wider sound stage. I love the IVs.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Southern said:

Check with Simply Stereo in Hoffman Estates / Palatine area, if you are in Chicagoland.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Fido said:

I upgraded my Forte 1s to Forte IVs for my front speakers and use my 1s for my rear speakers now. For me with my setup the IVs sound much better than the 1s. My 1s have Crites crossovers, and Dave As super tweeters. The IVs have much better mid bass, more solid lower bass and image much better in my space. More centered, deeper and wider sound stage. I love the IVs.

Ditto with forte II

On 1/29/2023 at 8:49 PM, John Chi-town said:

Check with Simply Stereo in Hoffman Estates / Palatine area, if you are in Chicagoland.

Unfortunately Simply Stereo does not have any Heritage speakers on display.

Using the Klipsch authorized dealer locator, the places that have Heritage speakers on display are few and far between.

29 minutes ago, Southern said:

Using the Klipsch authorized dealer locator, the places that have Heritage speakers on display are few and far between.

I was at ABT a few months ago and they had some on display. They were in the last room I went in in the audio area.

16 hours ago, Southern said:

Sorry they used to.  They were in Hoffman Estates since the early 80's.  Bought my first car stereo there.  Last time I was there was probably a decade or so ago and they carried and had on display at the time.  :sad:

5 hours ago, John Chi-town said:

Sorry they used to.  They were in Hoffman Estates since the early 80's.  Bought my first car stereo there.  Last time I was there was probably a decade or so ago and they carried and had on display at the time.  :sad:

No applogies needed, I called first since their website said to call first due to store construction.

I remember visiting their old location, at that time they had the full line of Heritage speakers which was quite impressive.  Must be too expensive to have the full line of Heritage speakers on display now, especially with the Jubilees in the lineup.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2023 at 7:46 PM, Bossfan said:

I was at ABT a few months ago and they had some on display. They were in the last room I went in in the audio area.

I stopped in ABT the other day and I was not impressed with the room layout.  I was setup like a conference room with a huge table in the middle which was in the way of the "ideal" listening area.

They had 75th edition K-horns, Forte IVs and Heresey IVs all pulled away from the back wall about 2 1/2 feet. 😒

I was impressed with the Forte's smooth midrange but they produced very little bass which made them sound more like bookshelf speakers.  Maybe from being too far from the rear wall?  Eitherway I will be enjoying my Forte 1's for many more years.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 1:12 PM, Cadmobile500 said:

I compared them to my ksf 8.5 (they were side by side when i tested) and the forte sounded like all mids and the ksf sound like no mids, but with more bass.

They seemed to compliment each when they were both on but stacked it looks ridiculous. 

I didn't want to add l pads.

Wonder if a recap will balance them out.

We've only been in this house for a week and the room sounds very different from our last house.

20230127_182415.jpg

Do you have the option to "temporary" move the Forte's where you have a continuous solid wall behind them?  

Like Ski Bum stated "Your room won't allow the sort of boundary reinforcement for the bass".

This will determine if the forward midrange is due to lack of bass.

On 2/9/2023 at 6:02 PM, Southern said:

I stopped in ABT the other day and I was not impressed with the room layout.  I was setup like a conference room with a huge table in the middle which was in the way of the "ideal" listening area.

They had 75th edition K-horns, Forte IVs and Heresey IVs all pulled away from the back wall about 2 1/2 feet. 😒

I was impressed with the Forte's smooth midrange but they produced very little bass which made them sound more like bookshelf speakers.  Maybe from being too far from the rear wall?  Eitherway I will be enjoying my Forte 1's for many more years.

Yeah I thought that was a weird setup too.