Lassiz le bon ton roulet!

Lone Palm

Hmmmm, when I was in Paris the phrase went, "Laissez les bon temps roulez!"

Bon ton is usually translated as good form with form in this case meaning fashion. The Bon Ton is best known as a store where fashions are sold. Temp is time. Ton is fashion. I suppose "Let the Good Fashions Roll!" has some merit.

While roulet is not roll in French... roulet is generally accepted as a corruption of roulez by cajuns.

Of course, Cajun French is more similar to French of the 1600's when the the Acadians settled in Nova Scotia... only to be thrown out by the British... and some reached Southern Louisiana where over time they became known as Cajuns. There are many differences between modern French and the Cajun version... but jumping from time to fashion sounds like an error to me.

Many years ago I was the guest of the Mecca Crewe... and had the phat Tuesday like you would not believe =HornEd

A clueless attempt at using a Free Translation became... Bon golly Manque Taupee, une chose de coup sera le vôtre sur un mardi maigre! No wonder they have a commercial for a paid human translation adjacent to the free computer version!

Since the real cluless appears to be an arcane wiz of bifurcating puzzlers (after all it is said she can apply the "clu" and "less" aspects at will... but then postless Will is a "no comment") this l'énigme a tourné faux pas should be Bufflehead Duck Soup for the Forum favorite Jersey Cat Lady... but for those of us that knead a clu... err, need a clue, here's the original thought in English:

Good golly Miss Molly, a fling thing will be yours some Skinny Tuesday! =HornEd

As a tower of translative power, your babel fish comes up pan fried! Of course the Miss error can be construed to be "not hitting the mark"... or a Lack. But, Taupee conjures up any manner of things... like a mole (garden variety), flower (exotic), French polynesian twin peak archetecture, or a hairy rug on a m00n head.

Of course, the "Thin Tuesday" meant that you should not have to wait for a Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras) to have a "catching opportunity." And I had intended to paraphrase the old Fat's Domino Miss Molly into Miss Jolly... but that translates into Gai (gay) or Pretty... both of which had connotations possibly not in keeping your whimsical posting style or musical moshing metaphores.

However, "a thing of blow" is better left to "clu" + "less" bifurcated imp-lications that only a savvy caroler might interpret. =HornEd

PS: No, "a thing of blow" was a serendipitous happenstance unrelated to a past tensed horn. Now I know why some Forum fanatics thing we should stick to fully audio Horn-load-Ed topics!

As I understand it, Gil, the Acadians migrated from France to Nova Scotia in the 1600's... and were later expelled by the British... bands of Acadians wandered far and wide and were generally assimilated into local populations. But, my self-styled "coon-y" friends tell me that only the Acadians that made it all the way to South Louisiana are considered as "Cajuns" (a corruption of Acadian). Hmm, I thought I covered that a couple posts back in this thread.

Years ago, my company was asked to create some breakthrough techniques in creating a unique publish-on-demand system to record the activities of the legislature and another system that used artificial intelligence to create the statewide ballot in a manner consistant with the laws. Both are long and somewhat humorous stories. I have found that when you have a cooon a== friend... you've got a friend for life. Cajuns have always been great folks in my lore. =HornEd

Yes, I quite see your point after making a closer read of your previous posts. My apologies.

I would have thought that the term Cajuns, or any variation of Arcadian would have attached immediately. I see you're talking about a slow process of corruption of the term, rather than when some originating term was used.

Gil

There was a time, Gil, soon after I returned from living, working and studying in France that my recreation time including finding Old French derivatives that evolved into modern day "Cajun French" one way... and quite another way into modern French in metropolitan France. Generally, the Cajun terms are more closely linked to Old French... often in amusing ways.

France is one of the few countries that has a blue ribbon government panel that strives to protect the French language from adopting terms from other languages... or corrupting modern French with poor grammar habits. Native French people are usually thrown into a tizzy when encountering Cajun French in conversation. The lack of precision that turned Acadian into Cajun is an example of how words change over time... usually by dropping a syllable and sliding into a pattern that is easier to articulate.

We humans left ungoaded will often shorten big examples into cute shorties... like Wilford Hall U.S. Air Force General Hospital is known through out the Air Force as "Big Willy"... and that's understandable... but how does William F. McDermott come out sounding like "Gil?" Sure sorry I missed the S.F. opportunity to meet... then I might have known the answer. 2.gif =HornEd

I'm five months short of being assigned to Korea, but presently I live in Lafayette, LA which is considered, arguably, the heart of Acadiana. My residence is three miles from a reconstructed cajun village. Anyway, my point is, you guys are right about the origin of the cajun name, however I think it's more early English settlers interpretation of the spoken French Acadian that eventually led up to the modern word cajun. The French spoken d sounds like j to English ears ... Acajian.

Anyway, I just prefer to call my friends swamp runners. 9.gif

I wasn't sure about the spelling since I do not speak French.I live in the Bible belt of North Louisiana. Lucinda Williams wrote the song"Crescent City" and I referred to the lyrics for the spelling. She's from Baton Rouge. I trusted her knowledge of the lingo. So,Let the Good Times Roll!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baton Rouge...now THERE's a story...good ole "red stick" town on the river...and how did it get its name??? Seems when the french explorers headed up the Red River...they encountered low water and sticking up out of the mud in the middle of the river was a line of sticks that the native Americans from the villages on either side of the river had put there to demark the fishing rights in the river of the two villages....and since these sticks were covered with good ole dried Red River mud...they were "red sticks"...and thus came the name of the town planted there by the French...Baton Rouge.

Another funny thing about bastardization of the French by the English speakers. I was raised up on Terre Rouge Creek...which is translated to English as Redland Creek...and though the country community is still to this day called Redland, the Creek's name(though still spelled in French as "Terre Rouge" Creek) is pronounced by the locals as "Cruise Creek"...go figure!! LOL!