Thoughts on Scott 222b for Belles?

dkpack99

I am thinking about buying a Scott 222b to go with my Klipsch Belles. I’ve heard it’s a good match, but don’t know much about tube amps…

This will (obviously) be for two channel listening. I will mostly be streaming from Tidal/Roon, via a Oppo Sonica DAC.

I’m not sure if it matters, but it’s a pretty large room (32 feet x 28 x 8).

It’s a local seller, who seems to be very legit, says it was completed serviced a few years ago.

Any thoughts on this a,p, how it pairs with my Belles, and/or ideas on prices will be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Dave P. 

• Like 1

I love Scott products on Heritage line.  But even that being said, since you are new to tubes, I would look for something newer that may not need as much servicing anytime soon.  Not sure what your budget is or if your hung up on EL84/6BQ5 tubes, but a lot of users like the Primaluna line of tube integrated amps.  If I had the funds, I would look at the EVO 200 as it allows home theater bypass. 

If your budget doesn't allow for from something like the Primaluna, I would reach out to Craig at NOSValves @NOS Valves or @John Warren at Northreadingengineering.com for insight on what to look at as far as possible issues that need to be addressed. 

Just now, The Dude said:

less chance of failure

I must note, that even though older, if serviced correctly, the older Scott units can be very reliable.  I just didn't care for the volume and power switch combined into one.  I had issues with mine as it appeared that the wafer on the volume control had some wear right at my main spl listening preference, therefor it was louder than I wanted to quitter than I wanted.  There may have been work arounds, but not something I was willing to do. 

2 hours ago, dkpack99 said:

I am thinking about buying a Scott 222b to go with my Klipsch Belles. I’ve heard it’s a good match, but don’t know much about tube amps…

you're much better off searching for  a Scott 299   in any of the different  series   , these are dead quiet when recapped properly , and a great match with klipsch speakers ,  I cant say enough of these amps , and the clean sound they can produce .

6 hours ago, The Dude said:

Why is that?  The 222 series are very good sounding units and match wonderful with the Heritage line.

I  favor the 299D over the 222B due to the deeper bass , and clearer HF and mostly the  higher power output of 34 wpc     , otherwise , yes ..both  amps are seamless with the Heritage line 

• Like 1

I use my Scott 222b integrated amp to drive my JBL-4430 speakers, as well as a pair of Quad ESl-63 speakers.  Obviously, speakers which are quite different in their design and strengths/weaknesses.  While I have several other amps, I always seem to leave the Scott in the rotation for one of my systems.  I would suspect a 222b, in proper operating condition, would match very well with a pair of Belle’s.

2512E8F5-2021-4B77-9D6B-9A01E74B4FDB.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

If I'm remembering correctly, the 222b had slightly smaller output transformers than the c & d models. The lore says the b had nicer mids and treble, but the c had better bass. Maybe.

Recently got a circuit simulator program working, first thing I did was draw up a 222c schematic and test. The preamp & tone control stage had quite a bit of bass roll-off. Found the input cap values was the limits there. Maybe I'll check out the 'b' circuit, see what it's doing there. 

Then again, the roll-off was quite below the bottom of a Belle or LaScala.

Update: 222b is -3dB @40Hz

222C is -3dB @25Hz. 

this is the frequency response of the preamp circuit, set by two capacitors on the input and a minor part played by another cap at the output. Change those cap values to .0033uF followed by .0022uF and you're flat to the low 20’s, -3dB @16 or so. 

222d used a slightly different circuit with fewer parts.

• Like 2