RC64III OTW

gwallers

New forum member and Klipsch owner here.  I had a question and wanted some opinions.  My current setup I'm running 5.1.4 powered by Pioneer Elite vsx-lx505 / Emotiva gen 3 XPA-9 / Fronts - RF7III / Rears RP8060FA/ Front Dolby RP500sa / and my current Center is Def Tech Mythos 3/ Sub SVS PB-3000/..  Last night I finally broke down and ordered the RC64III.  I guess what I'm asking is it too late in the game to be ordering the RC64III to match with my RF7IIIs or should I be looking at a newer Center channel.  The RC64III seems to be an old speaker at this point but I'm not sure that matters.  Just wanted you alls opinion on the matter.  It is supposed to arrive on Wednesday.   

Thank you for the reply!!  I've been eyeing the RC64 for a while and wish I would have done it sooner.  Only issue I have now is a rectangular room and  bass null.  The SVS livens it up but my RF7s sound like a tweeter in my room.  I never understood it.  4 10s and zero bass.  (facepalm)

Edited by gwallers
  • Like 1

My five Klipsch Heresys are 40+ years old and sound better than the vast majority of speakers manufactured today.

For your RF-7s I would check to make sure the bi-wire jumpers are tight so that the woofers are getting a good signal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gwallers said:

Thank you for the reply!!  I've been eyeing the RC64 for a while and wish I would have done it sooner.  Only issue I have now is a rectangular room and  bass null.  The SVS livens it up but my RF7s sound like a tweeter in my room.  I never understood it.  4 10s and zero bass.  (facepalm)

Yes your room correction software likely set the front 7s to small typically. Thereby sending most bass duty to your subs for HT.

44 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

My five Klipsch Heresys are 40+ years old and sound better than the vast majority of speakers manufactured today.

For your RF-7s I would check to make sure the bi-wire jumpers are tight so that the woofers are getting a good signal.

All connections are good and bi-wire are all in tact.  I originally was pushing them with my Pioneer and just recently got the XPA-9 to push 250w to them.  But it made zero difference in the bass side.  I'm in a sheetrock room with all hardwood floors.  Nothing on the walls, and one 8x10 rug in the middle I purchased last week.

45 minutes ago, billybob said:

Likely when you set it to stereo, the bass is there, depending on your settings.

I have tried it on Full and small with crossover down to 60 when set to small.  Make no difference.  I get zero thump on the RF7s.  If i stand behind them I get bass, but anything in my listening position is null.  I have a slight toe in to point to listening position.

PXL_20230109_150540953.jpg

Edited by gwallers
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, billybob said:

Yes your room correction software likely set the front 7s to small typically. Thereby sending most bass duty to your subs for HT.

Dirac Sets them to Large with Crossover at 100hz, but even changing all this afterwards have little bass unless I unload the SVS.  I can turn on stereo with double bass turned off and its like i have little small speakers sitting up front.  I haven't understood it since the day I got them. 

14 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

Time to move your speakers and/or your listening position.

Here is a different angle.  Not many options except moving TV to long wall behind where I took the pic.  Would be a lot of work and frustrating if it didn't solve the issue.  I did move my chair back a little and still getting nothing.  If I go and stand by the fronts on either side the bass seems to be there in the corners.  If I play the sub everything sounds good, but to listen to the RF7s in stereo without the sub.  No Bass.

PXL_20230109_202053604.jpg

Edited by gwallers

2 hours ago, gwallers said:

I use RF7ii with the Klipsch Dolby Atmos add-ons & RC64ii center. (SVS sub + RC7 rear surround) in the HT.

Looking at your room I see a LOT of hard surfaces and not much in the way of any substantial acoustical absorption/diffusion. You might consider that too much treble/treble reflections are the issue verses not enough bass.

OTOH, if you're absolutely sure that a bass null is the issue you have three alternatives. Large corner bass traps, move the speakers,  or move your listening position. Personally, if it were my room I would experiment with all three. And don't forget - the room has more corners than just the vertical corners. Horizontal corners along the ceiling and floor can utilize bass trapping as well.

As far as center speaker choice goes I prefer to stick with the same product/model line. The center speaker is very critical in certain applications (HT). Different speakers, even from the same manufacturer are often "voiced" differently. The difference in voicing can make a center channel speaker stand out like a sore thumb. As an example I used to have a Klipsch RC7i for the center speaker. The RC64ii is a much better match for RF7.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, gwallers said:

Here is a different angle.  Not many options except moving TV to long wall behind where I took the pic.  Would be a lot of work and frustrating if it didn't solve the issue.  I did move my chair back a little and still getting nothing.  If I go and stand by the fronts on either side the bass seems to be there in the corners.  If I play the sub everything sounds good, but to listen to the RF7s in stereo without the sub.  No Bass.

PXL_20230109_202053604.jpg

You should move them forward a bit.  The rear ports need room to breathe.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

The rear ports need room to breathe.

Yes Sir..excellent point. I did not pick up on that when I first looked at pictures. I do not know what the true expectations of the OP are but RF7s should not be bass shy.

OP please refer to Owners manual about how far out from back wall those ports need to be...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gwallers said:

All connections are good and bi-wire are all in tact.  I originally was pushing them with my Pioneer and just recently got the XPA-9 to push 250w to them.  But it made zero difference in the bass side.  I'm in a sheetrock room with all hardwood floors.  Nothing on the walls, and one 8x10 rug in the middle I purchased last week

20 hours ago, babadono said:

Yes Sir..excellent point. I did not pick up on that when I first looked at pictures. I do not know what the true expectations of the OP are but RF7s should not be bass shy.

OP please refer to Owners manual about how far out from back wall those ports need to be...

I really don't have any major expectations.   I'm just getting absolutely zero bass from the 7s.    To me a speaker that size should pack some kind of punch.    I'm getting literally null.   Just a quick thought.  Am I pushing them with enough power with 250w??    They are rated continuous rms 250 and I'm pushing 250w to them.   Shouldn't that be enough for thump?

Edited by gwallers