Am I better off?

nastyG

Hello all so I currently running two rp280f up front with a rp500c. Using 4 rp500m for rears and surround and in the process of getting 2 new subs. I currently have been using a pioneer elite vsx lx101 that was actually given to me. For a free receiver I can't complain but I now have the opportunity to pick up a marantz sr8002. I know this is a better receiver but it'll cost me a cpl hundred which is fine I'm more concerned with will it be an upgrade? Is the extra power/quality something that will outweigh it's age and features compared to the pioneer? Will I actually hear a noticeable improvement? Please advise, thanks

• Like 1

There could well be a difference in the sound signature between the two, although someone suggested all amps sound the same.

It appears that you have researched the Marantz known for a warmer presentation.

All of this just to say, your curiosity is inline with trying it so, if good condition, not bad to try it. Otherwise, you may never know.

Others here may say more.

Welcome and do not forget the remote control.

When it comes to amplifier power, it's not like horsepower, where a 10% improvement is noticeable.  Even a doubling in amplifier power only raises the volume by 3 dB.  However, if it's accompanied by better sound, even a small increase in power is worth it.  On the topic of sound quality, the engineers keep working at it, so the newer gear tends to sound better than the older gear, especially in terms of clarity.

Before buying, maybe consider connectivity.  One of the reasons I bought my 2016 AVR (In 2016) was to get connectivity options, like HDMI, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth, that weren't available when I bought the 2005 AVR I was replacing.  I also got a higher-level receiver, still with Yamaha, so the sound quality was better, too.  Thanks to the Wi-Fi, now I can listen to Net Radio, which is probably more than 90% of my current listening.  As well, you can buy music in download form to your laptop or tablet and then use Bluetooth or AirPlay (if you have an iPad or MacBook) and send it to your receiver.  Since then, there have not been too many new connectivity options that I'm aware of, but I'm happy to be corrected and informed about that.

Just something to think about.

12 hours ago, nastyG said:

Will I actually hear a noticeable improvement? Please advise, thanks

the Pioneer elite vsx lx101   puts out 130wpc at  6Ohms , the Marantz sr8002.puts out 125 wpc at 8Ohms , the Marantz will be a tad better , you'll see a slight improvement 

4 hours ago, Islander said:

When it comes to amplifier power, it's not like horsepower, where a 10% improvement is noticeable.  Even a doubling in amplifier power only raises the volume by 3 dB.  However, if it's accompanied by better sound, even a small increase in power is worth it.  On the topic of sound quality, the engineers keep working at it, so the newer gear tends to sound better than the older gear, especially in terms of clarity.

Before buying, maybe consider connectivity.  One of the reasons I bought my 2016 AVR (In 2016) was to get connectivity options, like HDMI, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth, that weren't available when I bought the 2005 AVR I was replacing.  I also got a higher-level receiver, still with Yamaha, so the sound quality was better, too.  Thanks to the Wi-Fi, now I can listen to Net Radio, which is probably more than 90% of my current listening.  As well, you can buy music in download form to your laptop or tablet and then use Bluetooth or AirPlay (if you have an iPad or MacBook) and send it to your receiver.  Since then, there have not been too many new connectivity options that I'm aware of, but I'm happy to be corrected and informed about that.

Just something to think about.

So do you think the marantz sound would be noticabley different/better

48 minutes ago, nastyG said:

So do you think the marantz sound would be noticabley different/better

I've always had Yamaha receivers, and have never heard either of the receivers in this discussion, so I can only speak in generalities about them.  Marantz seems to have a better reputation than Pioneer, but even that I just got from the previous comments from other members.

I do stand behind what I mentioned about connectivity.  I'm still amazed that I can press a Buy button to download the music on a CD to my iPad in a few seconds, and then send it to my receiver and hear the music coming out of my speakers.  With the old gear, this was just not possible.  With sources like Net Radio, I've been able to hear songs that are new to me, from artists I'd never heard of, which is a real pleasure much of the time.  If I hear something I like, I can make a note of it and think about buying the CD/EP/LP.  If I decide to buy, I can order the physical media, or buy it locally, or just get the download, which often makes more sense when it comes to bands from the other side of the world and the expense and delay involved in mail order.

It doesn't make a difference to sound quality, it just give you so many more options, more to hear, and more ways to buy music that you like.

How big is your budget?  For as low as $300, you can buy a new AV receiver, with some of the latest features, plus a warranty.  Sometimes free bargains are worth what you pay, and no more.  If you can stretch your funds (maybe by saving up for a few more months) to $500, you can get a new receiver that's a step or two above the bottom model, and it would likely have better sound than many older units.

What kind of system do you want to have?  2-channel stereo, or surround sound?  Do you want to upgrade your system a bit and leave it at that, or are you considering a long-term plan, with the idea of having a really excellent system eventually?  I chose the second path, and wound up with a system that had been so far away, it was over the horizon, and I couldn't even imagine it from where and when I was sitting.  Just a suggestion.

On 1/11/2023 at 12:50 AM, Islander said:

I've always had Yamaha receivers, and have never heard either of the receivers in this discussion, so I can only speak in generalities about them.  Marantz seems to have a better reputation than Pioneer, but even that I just got from the previous comments from other members.

I do stand behind what I mentioned about connectivity.  I'm still amazed that I can press a Buy button to download the music on a CD to my iPad in a few seconds, and then send it to my receiver and hear the music coming out of my speakers.  With the old gear, this was just not possible.  With sources like Net Radio, I've been able to hear songs that are new to me, from artists I'd never heard of, which is a real pleasure much of the time.  If I hear something I like, I can make a note of it and think about buying the CD/EP/LP.  If I decide to buy, I can order the physical media, or buy it locally, or just get the download, which often makes more sense when it comes to bands from the other side of the world and the expense and delay involved in mail order.

It doesn't make a difference to sound quality, it just give you so many more options, more to hear, and more ways to buy music that you like.

How big is your budget?  For as low as $300, you can buy a new AV receiver, with some of the latest features, plus a warranty.  Sometimes free bargains are worth what you pay, and no more.  If you can stretch your funds (maybe by saving up for a few more months) to $500, you can get a new receiver that's a step or two above the bottom model, and it would likely have better sound than many older units.

What kind of system do you want to have?  2-channel stereo, or surround sound?  Do you want to upgrade your system a bit and leave it at that, or are you considering a long-term plan, with the idea of having a really excellent system eventually?  I chose the second path, and wound up with a system that had been so far away, it was over the horizon, and I couldn't even imagine it from where and when I was sitting.  Just a suggestion.

Budget isn't too big of a concern I want a proper set up I just don't know if I'm better off putting the money towards new subs since there's no issue with the pioneer elite

• Like 1